Time For Bob Gainey To Step Up

Habby1197

It's now clear the team we have now, will not make the playoffs... and with a payroll at the hight of the cap... it's unacceptable. With Souray now hurt, Gainey better act because the games aren't getting any easier.

Gainey hasn't done anything to impress me, since getting Kovalev, and that was two years ago.

Wake up Bob.

Its fair to say that its a critical time to act.

Most of the remaining games before the break are to be played against the better teams

and considering the fact that those games will be played away makes it even worse...... the

CH having won only 1 out of their last 12 games in that situation.The early part of the post-Olympique schedule seems just as un-favorable.......this team seems to be going absolutely nowhere and

seems bound to be a sinker.

Althought I feel that it is time for Bob to act....I also feel that we are in a very vulnerable and

very weak position as far as hoping to be able to gain any substantial benefits from

transacting at this unfortunate stage of our game.

Even if zero pressure cirmcumstances are no garanty for favorable trades (Garon-Bonk),

desperate cirmcumstances unmistakably tend to have far worse outcomes.

GM's of the league, all have had in the last two years, an UN-PRECEDENT amount of means to

be a direct influence in the shaping of their post-lock-out teams......What have you done to

my team lately Bob ?......or better, what have you not done while you could ? I feel he as not

done neither enought nor good enought.

I will raise my hat if he pulls us out of that one without undue sacrifices to our futur prospects.

Gainey is not the type to panic and start making useless trades. hes thinkin about the future, not the present. he's analyzing every little thing he can do to improve this team, but he is not going to panic. if u wanna see what happens when a GM panics, check out rejean houles days. Give Gainey time, and dont complain about him not doing anything plz, cause no trade, is the best trade.

i believe gainey probly didnt sign many free agents because he wanted to see how this season was going to turn out with the new NHL. plus, who wouldve thjought theodore was going to suck. anyways, he'll be moving someone soon.

. and with a payroll at the hight of the cap...

is there some info you have that we don't have? why do you say this. I have looked everywhere I can think of and not found anyplace that will tell us what teams are at under the cap. If you have found such a place please share it with the rest of us. I have heard that the ch are about 34 million and have lots of cap room but I do not know this to be fact or fiction. If we knew this info then some of these goofy rumours etc would not happen.

les Habitants need an upgrade no question but we were not going to win the cup this year and therefore we wait for good opportunities and make the best of them or we go hire Mike "I'll trade anybody for anybody" Milbury so we can rebuild every 2 years Take your pick. I stay with big bob.

Gainey is not the type to panic and start making useless trades. hes thinkin about the future, not the present. he's analyzing every little thing he can do to improve this team, but he is not going to panic. if u wanna see what happens when a GM panics, check out rejean houles days. Give Gainey time, and dont complain about him not doing anything plz, cause no trade, is the best trade.

i believe gainey probly didnt sign many free agents because he wanted to see how this season was going to turn out with the new NHL. plus, who wouldve thjought theodore was going to suck. anyways, he'll be moving someone soon.

According to your theory you're saying "bye bye playoffs"

I on the other hand think that he's had his time to analyze and he's been patient it's only been 1.5 months since we started sucking real bad. I think it's about time he does something donesn't have to be major, just something to show he's still interested

hey mike "I'll trade anybody for anybody" Millbury is now available we should get him then all these crazy trade rumours have a shot at happening!

and habby 1157 i am wondering if you answer my earlier question?

. and with a payroll at the hight of the cap...

is there some info you have that we don't have? why do you say this. I have looked everywhere I can think of and not found anyplace that will tell us what teams are at under the cap. If you have found such a place please share it with the rest of us. I have heard that the ch are about 34 million and have lots of cap room but I do not know this to be fact or fiction. If we knew this info then some of these goofy rumours etc would not happen.

les Habitants need an upgrade no question but we were not going to win the cup this year and therefore we wait for good opportunities and make the best of them or we go hire Mike "I'll trade anybody for anybody" Milbury so we can rebuild every 2 years Take your pick. I stay with big bob.

Go to the habsworld home page and click on Habs Contracts. Good starting place. This info for all clubs is available if you go searching

The tough part about getting an exact cap number is dealing with the call ups and downs. Every day that a player is gone is less money used on the cap. As well the CBA has other rules, i think the injury threshold is 10 games and any amount missed over that by a player no longer counts against the cap etc.....

THANKS GUYS

I do have those sites and for indivual players NHLPA is I think the best. I want to know where to get team cap info and yes it does change on a daily basis but I hear people saying that this team or that team is in cap trouble. Ok where did you see that? I do not need to know on daily basis but a close idea would be nice.Does anyone know what level the habs are? I sure as hell do not. I guess I could call uncle bob and ask but he is so close to the vest he might mislead me. ok just kidding.

The Habs are in a tough situation. The fans (and the team) want the Habs to make the playoffs but we have to remember that the club is still in the building phase.

And at the same time our rookies needs to see some playoff in order to progress.

At this point the Garon-Bonk trade doesn't look good. Imagine if we had Garon right now. He could have asked for a top 4 or maybe even a top 2 defenceman. Now we have Bonk doing something Chris Higgins will do for the Habs for years to come.

Letting Brisebois go was probably right for both the team and Patrice. Maybe. Another maybe is Laperriere. Didn't he want to come here?

I know a lot of people are thinking that Theo and Ribs are the one that should be dealt. I would like Gainey to keep both of them and trade a player that could be replaced within the club to make a big difference.

Bonk and Zednik are the ones in my opinon. Bonk because Higgins can take his place any day. Richard Zednik is skilled and I really like him. Strong like few but could be so much more. His contract should be a factor since it's a great player with low salary. Wich could get us something in return. Something we need much more. A top defenceman.

A top defenceman could make Theo look better and maybe we could start winning by one instead of loosing by one.

Clutch Bonk and Zednik and it should get us a forward with less upside offensive than Zednik and a top defenceman.

In a way I agree but it takes time and for the first time in many year we have a general manager who realize that.

It takes somwhere between 4 and 6 years for a generation to blossom. Look at the Avs. They traded for the right to Peter Forsberg in 1991 and 1995 they won the cup. Forsberg wasn't the only reason, a certain Roy was involved as well and Joe Sakic of course...

I think the Habs are one star and one season away from beeing a contender. When Higgins, Plekanec, Kostitsyn and Perezhogin get some experince the Habs can turn in to a powerhouse. Gainey just have to make a deal that will send us to the playoffs this season and at the same time keep the talent in the club. Not an easy thing but if he does it right this should be the LAST season in the rebuilding phase.

Gainey needs to do something, if only to reaffirm confidence in the club's abilities.

His Garon for Bonk and Huet trade definitely was not a bad one. But Bonk has done zilch to justify it. It was obvious at the time that the Habs needed a top four defenseman, he should've held out for a guy like that from L.A. rather than Bonk. So instead he got Bonk and was forced to sign Dandenault to replace Brisebois. The Habs had to get a replacement in, and Aucoin did not work out for whatever reason.

I liked the Bonk-Garon-Huet trade when it was done but if he would have known where the club was today I don't think he would have done it.

But Garon has high value today and Bonk has not. But that's history. Now he need to do something to get the team back on track and keep the player that should win the cup in 2008.

Yeah I have to agree with Prime Minister Koivu

It always seems habs fans like myself are always telling our friends and ourselves that the Habs will be a great team in 2 or 3 years. Every year we push it back, and it is starting to get annoying. I know that Bob is an excellent GM and will make this team better during his tenure and long after he is gone. But I really hope that Gainey and Julien can help this team regain its earlier form and earn a playoff birth.