Bob Mckenzie On Jose

toque

Bob's most recent column has some interesting (but not suprising) guesses about Theodore.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp

After reading it I've realised:

- A feel sad for Jose. Not angry or frustrated. Watching him get beat glove side time and time again is like watching an injured animal you know needs to be put down

- No matter how much speculating we do in the forums, there is absolutely no solution on horizon

McKenzie: Tough solutions for Theodore

2/1/2006

In Montreal, they are asking: what's wrong with Jose Theodore?

What's wrong, indeed.

The Canadiens' marquee stopper has been pulled in three of his last four starts.

His save percentage in those games is .714 and his goals-against average is 8.44.

He's getting the Patrice Brisebois treatment from the Montreal fans and the truth is he hasn't played well all season long.

So, what is wrong with Jose?

The real problem isn't his much talked about new and downsized equipment, although there's been an adjustment there. It has nothing to do with much talked about family matters that end up in the tabloids because he's always been able to play through that distraction.

Claude Julien certainly wasn't the problem because Theodore is playing just as poorly for GM-head coach Bob Gainey as he was for the fired coach.

So, what is it?

In a word, it's confidence.

Jose Theodore is a shattered man right now. He always carried himself with supreme confidence bordering on cockiness, and those who know him say it's gone.

That special quality that made Jose so, well - "Jose" - is missing.

He's rattled, and rattled big time.

He's second guessing everything he does.

The only problem with Theodore's equipment is the stuff between his ears.

Nothing could be more crippling to a big-time goalie than a complete loss of confidence. It's what is causing him to go down too quickly, to be picked apart by shooters going top shelf.

Now Canadiens' goaltending coach Roland Melanson can stress the need for Theodore to be patient and to wait out the shooters. But if the mind isn't willing and strong, the body isn't going to respond.

Re-gaining confidence isn't easy, especially for a goalie. It can be a long and difficult process. So one of two things will happen here.

One - Theodore and the Habs will just have to work through it and that's going to be painful.

Two - Gainey can try to deal him and that's much easier said than done.

Not many teams are looking for a shattered goalie worth $5.33 million US against the cap for each of the next two years. And forget about those trade rumours that have him going to Tampa Bay, they're not true.

Theodore isn't necessarily unmovable, but his big ticket and poor performance certainly narrows the field.

That's not to say a change in scenery might not be the best thing for him right about now, but there are no easy answers for a goaltender that has lost his mojo.

McKenzie is stating the obvious. Theo's in a slump. When a forward is in a slump, he's invisible. When a goalie is in a slump, all the spolights are on him. Its the most ingrate position in almost all professionnal team sports.

I dont think Theo is tradeable right now. Its like trying to sell a car after you wrapped it around a lamp-post.

The only choice is to let Theo work is way out of it. We know the arguements of people who want to dump Theo asap thinking it'll save the season. Sorry folks, dumping your assets when they hit their lowest point is not only bad managing, its also a dumb gamble because nothing garantees you a playoff spot anyway.

Damned if you do, damned if you dont. .

Edited by KoZed

It's true - José is in a world of pain. I doubt that any of us can really know what it's like, to be such a swaggering star, and then to self-immolate, in public, in front of the entire city of Montreal, in full view of his teammates and colleagues - it's horrible, and gruesome to watch, at a human level.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: move Theo quietly into a temporary backup role, give Huet the big starts for a while, start Theo against the flatter teams...then gradually move him back into a 1A position, then, if all looks good, back to #1, eventually. There'll be no quick fixes here, but we seem to have a decent backup in Huet. We should take advantage of that, give Theo a cushion and time to recover mentally. He must be exhausted as well as shattered, at this point.

I agree. I don't know why I feel so betrayed.......I'm sure he hurts more then any of us....He was a habs fan too.I'll put my bullshit aside. I take back everything negative I've said about him in the past 2 months. Come on Theo....get it together you overpaid galoot........................just kidding

All the best Theo, we need you at your best.

It's true - José is in a world of pain. I doubt that any of us can really know what it's like, to be such a swaggering star, and then to self-immolate, in public, in front of the entire city of Montreal, in full view of his teammates and colleagues - it's horrible, and gruesome to watch, at a human level.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: move Theo quietly into a temporary backup role, give Huet the big starts for a while, start Theo against the flatter teams...then gradually move him back into a 1A position, then, if all looks good, back to #1, eventually. There'll be no quick fixes here, but we seem to have a decent backup in Huet. We should take advantage of that, give Theo a cushion and time to recover mentally. He must be exhausted as well as shattered, at this point.

Well Theo's ego got inflated a bit with the fame and fortune, so its a pretty good dose of humility he's getting now. Maybe he'll come out of it an even better team player.

Edited by KoZed

I'm still being patient with Theo, he will be back, despite what all the doom and gloomers say.

One thing that does piss me off, is I want to hear him angry. I want him to be pissed when he's talking to reporters. I want him to yell "I played like crap tonight and it will NEVER happen again." I want a Jeremy Roenick rant about how players are crashing the net, how the dimensions on the ice have changed and I'm still adjusting. Screw losing your sponsers if you dropthe f-bomb, I want some f-bombing passion from one the top goalies in the league!

All I've been hearing was "I didn't play well tonight and I'll work on it for the next start". Thats not good enough for me, I can handle the losing, the weak goals, but to shrug it off 'grinds my gears' (heh I love Family Guy).

Bar

Sorry bar I cannot handle losing, weak goals, or shrugging it off.

But I do agree with you Theo does need to get angry, or maybe he already has got angry just behind closed doors let us remember he is a professional and most players always are calm cool and collected when talking to the media.

You know what grinds my gears? When I can't find the droids I'm looking for... :D

But seriously, I agree. I think José's being too calm, and too much "up there" with this. He needs to get out of his head, find his passion, and play by instinct. I'm confident he'll regain his form... I just don't know if it'll be this year, or with the Habs.

GO JOSE GO! :hlogo:

I am not sure, he would have to be sent down before Feb 13th before the roster freeze. And he would have to agree to it, also I believe he would have to clear waivers unless he were injured ;) ;) and sent down for a conditioning stint.

I am not sure, he would have to be sent down before Feb 13th before the roster freeze. And he would have to agree to it, also I believe he would have to clear waivers unless he were injured ;) ;) and sent down for a conditioning stint.

If Theo needs an injury, I'm willing to give him a broken nose, who knows maybe it would shake him up. Plus It would make me feel better and I could tolerate him more when he comes back after the break ;)

I'm not one of those that would trade Theo for a bunch of pucks, if we are not going to get quality in exchange, keep him and work with. As you might have noticed, I'm even willing to donate for the cause ;)

Grrr. I'm so angry. ###### Kerrry Fraser!

Bonsoir Mr Théodore. There's something I always wanted to ask you. How do you get your hair so shiny? what shampoo do you use? Merci, bonne chance.. devant le filet!

Given the superstitious nature of many goalies in the league, maybe José should go back to his old mask. It's the only piece of equipment he can legally change, and if his problems are rooted in a lack of confidence, then perhaps he needs to psychologically revert to a period when he was more confident in his abilities. It couldn't hurt.