If Montreal Had The First Pick This Year

CerebusClone

If by some miracle Montreal was able to select first at this year's entry draft, which young player would you pick:

1. The amazingly skilled Phil Kessel

2. The quarterback Erik Johnson

3. The total package Jordan Staal

Although Kessel is pretty much labeled the American Crosby, and will become a superstar in the NHL, I think the Habs would have more use for either Johnson or Staal. Staal especially could become a huge impact player in the near future, but then again, just think of how much the power play would improve with a guy like Erik Johnson at the blueline.

I would be very undecided between these two... or do you with Kessel?

What do you guys think?

Edited by CerebusClone

I think Montreal has been without a superstar offensive player for so long that you have to go with Kessel.

I think he could be a player that would make everyone around him better, and help Montreals pop gun offence.

That would be the way I look at it.

I would also lean towards Erik Johnson. How often do you have a chance to get a defenseman with that much skills? Although, how often do you see a guy with the size, talent, and hockey sense of Jordan Staal. Some scouts believe he could be the best of the Staal brothers. Either way, Montreal would get something they have been missing for well over a decade...

Unfortunately, there is about zero chance to see any of these three in Montreal. With a lot of luck, we might be able to land James Sheppard, but I doubt it. Maybe Okposo or Brassard again with some luck. For the second round however, Jeese Joensuu is a big power forward that Koivu could take under his wing.

Edited by CerebusClone

Personnally i dont think you can not take Kessel, ya he's a hit or miss but you might be getting a gaborik right? I dont think you can chance that. with saying that, Johnson is my favourite, he really stood out in the juniors. and about staal, ya hes a good player, his game is like spezzas, alot like it actually, but from what ive seen im not that impressed, i watch quite a few petes games(staals team) so i have a good read on him i believe. also jordan isnt suppose to be the best of the staals, its suppose to still be the even younger brother

I'd have a hard time choosing between kessels and johnson but i'd go for kessels...he'd bring more fans at the bell than johnson.

nowing that we wont get the first pick, I'd love to have a staal in my team and I'd do anything possible to get them. these kids are special

I'd have a hard time choosing between kessels and johnson but i'd go for kessels...he'd bring more fans at the bell than johnson.

I agree to some degree.

I just wish they weren't American.

I see Kessel as problematic as Modano off the ice, the shame is that he is as good on the ice as well.

I love this kind of thread. It's interesting to see who people have alot of faith in as prospects.

BTW, has anyone heard anything about the highly rated, yet now invisible, Anze Kopitar?

Just because we won't get either of the first 2 picks. I would take Staal or Meuller

Edited by Habitforming

the bell already sells out every game....

that being said, I don't really know, but I'd lean towards Johnson.... would have loved Jack Johnson, but whatever.

the bell already sells out every game....

agreed, but he would be the star attraction( as a foward) that we all have been waiting for many years in montreal

Come on people, wheres Toews? The guys a beast.

The number one guy I'd want though would have to be Staal. He can bring so much dynamic to a team and I think he'd fit in best with the Avs. Him with Wolski and Svatos would be amazing.

IMO Toews appears overrated. I will probably eat my words at a later date but in the world juniors I felt that the Canadian TSN broadcast team hyped this guy up while he did not do very much to impress me.

I agree about Toews. I'm sure the guy will become a good hockey player, but I don't think he's in the same category as a guy like Kessel, for example.

It will be interesting to see who Pittsburg chooses this year:

They could go with perhaps the best trio of centers in history (Crosby, Malkin, and Staal).

They could really use a top defenseman (but is Johnson any good defensively?)

Or they could support their top 2 centers with a great winger with either Kessel or Toews.

If they end up with Kessel, that's just gonna be nasty... Fleury, Malkin, Crosby, Kessel, and why not Angelo Esposito next year?

Edited by CerebusClone