Andrei Kostitsyn On Fire

JMMR

Kostitsyn was shutout in that first win but since then has potted one goal and one assist in each of the Bulldogs last three wins.

This guy needs to be called up, especially if he can keep this pace up.

Actually, after a terrible start, Kostsitsyn has really picked things up. During his first 19 games, he had a pretty bad record of 4 goals, 4 assists, and a -9 rating. Since then, in 29 games, he registered 8 goals, 18 assists (26 points), along with a much more respectable -3 rating.

I was personally impressed with his skill level during his last stint with the Habs, and I believe he has the potential to become a superstar. Now it just remains to be seen whether or not he will adapt to pro hockey enough to fulfill that potential...

Edited by CerebusClone

kostitsyn's the real thing !! I don't know if he'll be recalled this season but expect him to get a top two lines spot next year...he's our only legit left winger...aside from higgins( who is more a centerman)

Since the Habs are not really contenders this year, I agree that Kostsitsyn should be in the lineup. His presence won't prevent the team from making the playoffs, however he could help it make it there. At the very least, he would get good experience at the NHL level so he can start contributing next year.

The team could simply alternate between Higgins and Kostsitsyn on the Koivu line, and give Andrei some time on the power play. That will help him adapt, gain confidence, and become a better player. However, teasing him every month to come warm up the bench for the big team isn't going to help at all.

If Montreal wants to become a contender in the near future, as they say they will, they'll have to make sure that young guys like Kostsitsyn, Perezhogin, Chipchura, Latendresse, Higgins, and even Komisarek progress to nearly their full potential, or it will be another 10 years of average to mediocre hockey for Habs fans.

Edited by CerebusClone

kostitsyn's the real thing !! I don't know if he'll be recalled this season but expect him to get a top two lines spot next year...he's our only legit left winger...aside from higgins( who is more a centerman)

Higgins is no longuer considered a center by the organization. He as not played center once this year (even when Ribs and Bonk were absent) and was converted to a winger 2 years ago in the AHL, so he hasn't played that position in 3 years now. The Habs felt he didn't have what it takes to be a center, including not being good at face-offs.

Higgins is a very good 3rd line winger in the making.

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully Montreal can find a centerman who can maximize his talents, and I am not refering to koivu, Ribeiro, Bonk or Begin.

Maybe a line of Higgins, Plekanec and Kostitsyn could be interesting. Former AHL guys, future NHL allstars

Hopefully Montreal can find a centerman who can maximize his talents, and I am not refering to koivu, Ribeiro, Bonk or Begin.

Maybe a line of Higgins, Plekanec and Kostitsyn could be interesting. Former AHL guys, future NHL allstars

I had a double take to make sure you said that Kaos I like your optimism...... :D

Higgins is no longuer considered a center by the organization. He as not played center once this year (even when Ribs and Bonk were absent) and was converted to a winger 2 years ago in the AHL, so he hasn't played that position in 3 years now. The Habs felt he didn't have what it takes to be a center, including not being good at face-offs.

Higgins is a very good 3rd line winger in the making.

3rd line winger IN THE MAKING? I feel that the guy is already at least a 3rd line winger right now, and he will be a very talented 1st or 2nd line winger in the future, IMO.

...you mean the sentence right after the pessimism?

This coming from the guy at the beginning of the year who wanted Montreal to lose....to make them realize they wern't as good as they thought they were??? Is that what your excuse was???

And who can't watch games because his girlfriend won't let him???

Don't talk to me about pessimism boy....your pathetic

Edited by kaos

Up until the "your pathetic" part I thought you were just kidding around. I really thought you weren't being serious. A goodnatured ribbing? I can take it. But a direct personal attack? kaos, man, what the ######? I don't see what I've done on this board to deserve your attacks (and there have been more) unless my lighthearted jokes, and debates and discussions that don't involve flame wars really get on your nerves.

This coming from the guy at the beginning of the year who wanted Montreal to lose....to make them realize they wern't as good as they thought they were??? Is that what your excuse was???

Not entirely accurate. It was a reason, not an excuse, because I don't think there is anything that needs to be excused. Undeserved wins irk me, especially when a winning record is built on them. I wanted them to play like the dominant team I thought they could be rather than fall into the lackadaisical play that they had fallen into. I wanted a loss to wake them up and get them to play like champions. I did not want them to drop down the standings like they did, nor did I want them to lose confidence like they did. Please, back off. You're the only one that still brings this up.

And who can't watch games because his girlfriend won't let him???

I decided to hang out with my girlfriend instead of watch the game. She didn't even know about it. And although I did say Habs > Zach Braff, and jokingly suggested that the Habs are better or equivilant to sex, I can easily say "My girlfriend > Habs." But thank you for assuming I lack balls.

(Just an afterthought: I have no idea what me hanging out with my girlfriend has to do with pessimism.)

Don't talk to me about pessimism boy....your pathetic

Please, I beg of you, reread my post...but do it with a sense of humour. It wasn't an attack at you. It carried as much insult to you as gohabsgo252006's post that I responded to.

Also, unless I completely misread your post, an optimistic statement was in fact preceded by a negative statement. Am I wrong?

3rd line winger IN THE MAKING? I feel that the guy is already at least a 3rd line winger right now, and he will be a very talented 1st or 2nd line winger in the future, IMO.

Read the date of the post buddy. That was before Higgins' performance after the Olympics.

Before that, he was doing well but nothing compared to the player we are seeing right now. He didn't even have 10 goals at that time. Before you comment on people's post, better check the date they posted their comment. Typical reaction of a Habs fan, when a player plays well, he's a God, and when he plays bad, we should trade him for a bag of pucks.

As for being a very talented 1st or 2nd line winger, sorry but 3rd line is where he belongs. He doesn't have the skills to score 30+ goals. The only reason he's playing there now is because we don't have anybody else ready. Perezhogin and Kostitsyn have much better 1st or 2nd line potential.

Once the Habs have a Cup contending team, Higgins will be on the 3rd line of that team with Chipchura.

Higgins is a gritty player who plays great defensively with some offensive upside to him, that's a great 3rd liner or an average top line player. I'd rather have him as a great 3rd liner. Kovalev, Ryder, Latendresse, Perezhogin, Kostitsyn are all wingers with more top line potential then Higgins. He doesn't belong on our top 2 lines in terms of depth for this team.

By the way, I'm not puting Higgins down in any way, I love the guy, he's quickly becoming one of my favorite habs, but the day he will be playing on the 3rd line will be the day we have a very good team ready to dominate this league, because it will mean that the forwards are playing where they belong.

And it's false that they thought that he didn't have what it takes.

They just thought that they had already many small centers (koivu, plek, etc) and wanted to have him as a winger right now.

It's not false, it's a fact. André Savard mentionned many times in the past that Higgins would be a much better winger then center. Is gritty style of play suites him better on the wing then as a center. Also, he is weak at face-offs. He had a world of problems with face-offs in the AHL as a center. Savard is the one who forced the organization to convert him.

It as nothing to do with having too many small centers. The Habs draft and develop according to what makes a player better, not what the Habs need at the present time.