Game Thread | Carolina Vs. Montreal | 03/16/06

Spider-Man NL

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either way its a tough first game for Aebischer. But the fact of the matter remains; it doesn't matter how good or bad the goaltending is, Montreal needs to score, and sometimes if the goaltending is bad, needs to outscore the other team. That just isn't happening. Buffalo lately is doing it, Carolina is scoring, Ottawa is a powerhouse while Montreal seems to be getting worse. This franchise is in desperate need of scoring help and has been so for a long time. It either needs a blockbuster trade, (but with what???), or a good free agent signing (WHO???) to bring a strong offensive presence to this team. A guy who is a point a game player or a 40 goal scorer. Its quite obvious, and it has been obvious for years that Koivu is not capable of carrying this team offensively, for an entire year and neither is Kovalev, (Riberio, Zednik, Bulis, Bonk Ryder etc., etc.,) he's proved that in Pittsburgh and NY. Now they would be excellent complimentary players for a true #1 center, where Koivu could be the number two.

Having said all that, I guess there are only a limited number of players who are that dominate offensively and I highly doubt any of their teams are looking to trade them. Maybe in a few years when Pittsburgh can't afford Fleury, Malkin, Crosby, and either Kessel or Johnson it looks like, but that won't help us now.

If Gainey doesn't bring in a proven scorer this offseason....I just don't know. We have 2/3rds of a top line, a bunch of second liners, and a slew of of 3rd liners.

Granted, this is an upgrade over the 1/3rd of a top line we've have for a decade, but gosh darnit, how about one more fantastic player?

I'm glad some of you are waking up and smelling the coffee where Koivu is concerned. Every game he stinks up, he proves more and more that BG overpaid for a second-line caliber center. Gotta pray that Ribs and Kovalev get red-hot, because Koivu and Ryder look terrible out there.

I'm glad some of you are waking up and smelling the coffee where Koivu is concerned. Every game he stinks up, he proves more and more that BG overpaid for a second-line caliber center. Gotta pray that Ribs and Kovalev get red-hot, because Koivu and Ryder look terrible out there.

My money's on Pleks, Zeddy and Bulis being the difference in the next few games...

C'mon Saku! You can do it! Please? :blink:

:hlogo:

Absolutley Gainey overpaid for Koivu. That was crazy the money he gave him, what was he thinking?

Seems for every good move Gainey makes, he makes a boneheaded one. Or if you wanna look at the glass half full, for every boneheaded one, he makes a decent one.

example

Bonehead.... Gives Koivu $4.5 Million or so over a what 3 years?

Decent

Trades Theodore and his $5 Million to Colorado for Aebischer....

although

Bonehead.... Gainey gives Theodore $5 Million per annum.....

Not too sure about this guy.

This isn't exactly a Koivu we've been used to seeing. Honestly, has he ever played this badly?

It's not going to matter how they match up with other playoff teams if the habs don't make the playoffs. They 4 games with Pitt and Wash and they haven't beaten them once this year. The Koivu line needs to give there heads a shake. A nice minus 6 last night. Combined with Rivet and Souray who were abused all night. Things aren't looking too good. The habs will need 12 out of the next 16 points and hope Tampa or Atlanta slows down. The offense 5 on 5 has been poor all year, that needs to change immediately.

How can they be -6 when there were only 5 goals against.......???????

Ribs might be a bad player but he's still amazingly skilled. His vision is what most people talk about but his stickhandling and playmaking/passing (okay that's similar to vision) are his real strengths. Maybe I need to watch Staal more but I never see him really deke by guys with quick stickhandling - he usually powers around them or something. So I'd say that it's very possible and probable that Ribeiro is a better stickhandler than Staal.