Boullion Injury Just A Bruise

Mr. Nasty

Canadiens defenceman Francis Bouillon, who suffered a bruised left leg after sliding feet-first into the boards Saturday, had X-rays and it was determined his leg wasn't broken. He is "day-to-day" upon his return to the Bell Centre and probably won't play in Washington Monday and at Long Island on Tuesday. - Montreal Gazette

Streit screened MAF on Souray's first goal, the second Souray started his wind up Streit went right to the high slot to create extra traffic. He made some excellent passes through the offensive zone on the power play but it still not playing with the confidence he had in the Olympics.

Markov hopefully will be back on Monday, OV said in an interview that Markov is his most hated defenseman to play against in the NHL, that is quite the complement.

:hlogo: If we get Markov back on Monday things will be looking up. Streit most likely can not put two good games together in a row so Simpson might be a welcome change if Markov's not ready to play. As an added bonus Simpson seems really pleased to be in Montreal and those are the types of players I would rather have on the ice.

Yep. I like how Streit played last night. He's pretty good at keeping the puck in on the powerplay. Better than Rivet, anyway.

as usual I think you missed the point. :huh:

Ooooo is that your big contribution to the discussion. Nice!!

The guys sucks and will be back in Switzerland next year, meanwhile, Hainsey will probably be a top 4 defensman, who I'll predict now will probably record about 30 points.

Ooooo is that your big contribution to the discussion. Nice!!

The guys sucks and will be back in Switzerland next year, meanwhile, Hainsey will probably be a top 4 defensman, who I'll predict now will probably record about 30 points.

Hainsey has found his niche in Columbus, it's true.. but he had multiple occasions to prove himself in Montreal, and never quite fit in or excelled... As much as I hate Streit's gaffes, I can't see it having gone any other way... Hainsey was brutal.

Still, it would have been nice to get something in return for him, and I wish we had someone other than Streit to turn to...

It's too bad.. Streit looked amazing in the Olympics...

It's too bad.. Streit looked amazing in the Olympics...

Yeah, same with Saku and Aebischer. Maybe the Habs should bring in a hypnotist to put players in a pre-game "Olympic" trance? ("...close your eyes, remember last night, you ate ravioli, wasn't it delicious? You like it here in Italy, don't you? When I count to three you will pick up your stick and go out and lead your teammates to victory in the gold medal game...")

Happy Boullion is ok. Like Bégin, he's a homie who steps it up when he puts on the jersey.

Yeah, same with Saku and Aebischer. Maybe the Habs should bring in a hypnotist to put players in a pre-game "Olympic" trance? ("...close your eyes, remember last night, you ate ravioli, wasn't it delicious? You like it here in Italy, don't you? When I count to three you will pick up your stick and go out and lead your teammates to victory in the gold medal game...")

Happy Boullion is ok. Like Bégin, he's a homie who steps it up when he puts on the jersey.

LOL! I can just see Saku speaking finnish to all his Montreal teammates, and the subsequent puzzled responses...

Saku: [something finnish]

Higgins to Ryder: What the Hell did he just say?

Ryder to Higgins: Who cares? That's his second hat trick tonight! Way to go, Saks!

Saku: [something else finnish]

. That would be amazing. I wish Koivu could score two hat trick's, come to think of it I would love to see Koivu score a goal how long has it been now 17 games, that is disgusting

LOL! I can just see Saku speaking finnish to all his Montreal teammates, and the subsequent puzzled responses...

Saku: [something finnish]

Higgins to Ryder: What the Hell did he just say?

Ryder to Higgins: Who cares? That's his second hat trick tonight! Way to go, Saks!

Saku: [something else finnish]

That is the greatest thing i've read all night....I hope they have the mike on Saku tommorow night when he pots a hatty and starts talking finnish,to everyone....

Bad news....

Turns out Bouillon's injury could be worse than first thought:

Canadiens defenceman Francis Bouillon will undergo an MRI Monday to determine the extent of the damage he sustained to his left ankle as a result of a crash into the boards in Saturday night's contest. He woke up Sunday with pain in his ankle, and although x-rays following Saturday's game were negative, there does seem to be something more serious than a bruise with Bouillon's foot. - Montreal Gazette

This coming from TSN's Ice-Chips.

I'm usually all over Streit, but he played a much better game last night....I mostly didn't notice him and that's a good thing

One of the misconceptions fans hold regarding evaluating a defenseman's play or contributions during the course of a game is, that if they didn't notice him then obviously he must have had a poor game.

Having coached at an extremely high level(and in fact specializing as a defence coach) the fact is that this can actually be a good thing as far as defenseman are concerned. Generally solid defensive play goes basically unnoticed as we tend to associate the big plays and offensive talents now with measuring a defenseman.

Stay at home defenseman basically go unnoticed until they make a mistake. Scotty Bowman himself stated the obvious many years ago when coaching the Habs- with the big 3(lapointe Savard and Robinson) on the blueline Bowman still maintained that solid defensive play went unnoticed by the majority of fans. Anyone old enough to have watched Bill Nyrop or Brian Engblom on the Habs blueline as well will remember that those two went unnoticed night after night. Only seeming to be noticed by the majority of fans for their occasional miscue -and they were extremely few & far between!

At a high level coach's clinic I attended with Bowman and several other prominent coaches there as guest lecturers several years ago, Bowman referred to mistakes of A/ 'omission' verses those he described as B/ 'commission'

There is a great deal of distinction between the two and he considered that as a coach, mistakes of commission were far more acceptable than continuous mistakes of ommission by a player. The two are basically defined as being ommission = forgetting what to do/or not knowing what to do, where as commission = an unfortunate result stemming from an attempt to do the right thing/make the right play. Many fans and young coaches unfortunately regard the latter as a mistake, where he felt good coaches should recognize the difference. Bowman considered the second type to be a part of the learning curve for players, as well as being what we all refer to as not getting the breaks....

Streit, while definitely not near such elite company talent wise, is playing much better lately than compared to earlier in the season(despite the Hainsey fanatics who can't get over this move - he had lots of chances to make the cut here and didn't..... end of story line please!)

His miscues have diminished and his offensive choices/contributions are more evident. Unfortunately the Habs have been hurt the most by Markov's absence as this affects all the pairings. He had a solid game offensively, made one really bad choice on a pinch and was not really noticed for anything behind the blueline. Was he a Larry Robinson - obviously no! But he wasn't a great liability out there either.

A disruption in the regular tandems has affected everyone on the blue line and it is also showing up throughout the lineup. This is what losing your number one defenseman does to a team still rebuilding from years of mismanagement.

Will Streit be back next season - that's Gainey's call. His play recently has not hurt him, but has he provided the offensive upside he is capable of. Hard to say what an offensive defenseman is capable of when the team up front is not exactly blessed with a plethora of offensive talent right now. He can't carry the offense - that's not what you expect of any defenseman regardless of his ability to contribute. In Streits' case, he's meant to provide a springboard for the forwards with regards to that aspect of the game. He is showing flashes of it - unfortunately the chances are not being converted by the forwards any where near the level it needs to, and that makes him look like a poor investment right now.

But to say he's useless because he wasn't noticable doesn't make sense? As a coach I'll take a guy I didn't see much of on the blueline any night, over a guy who keeps popping up in everyone's vision thanks to his continual mistakes.

Sorry for the long post, but I just had to vent on that one - and I'm not pretending to be an expert. Just some concepts of the game I thought I'd pass along that I heard/learned from the best coach I've ever seen..... :blink:

Great post.

That is one thing Gainey changed with K Rex he allowed him to try to do the right thing and make mistakes, that is how a player grows. Benching him or pairing him with a bottom-paring guy was not helping his development at all. Hopefully Markov will be back soon and K Rex can pop in his first goal of his career.

Streit is gone back next season, it didnt work out. Too bad, so sad.

Think about it folks. Was he the offensive defenseman he was supposed to be? Heck, no. This is his second North American stint, and what really makes you think anyone has patience for a 27yr old to adjust/adapt to the NHL game if he cant over a full season? Marek Zidlicky he aint.