"off-season Game Plan - Canadiens"

shortcat1

Scott Cullen of tsn.ca has been putting out what he calls 'Off-Season Plans' for a variety of teams of the NHL. These are, in his understanding, what these teams will/should be doing in preparation for the 2006 - 2007 hockey season.

So far, he's covered Boston, Toronto, Pittsburg, New York Islanders, Chicago, Columbus, Detroit, St-Louis, Calgary, Minnesota, Vancouver, Atlanta, Florida, Washington, Dallas, Los Angeles & Phoenix. (see this page: http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/feature/?fi...me=fantasy_news ) I expect that he will have covered every team before the July 1 free agent signing deadline (he has 11 to go).

He starts his run-down of the Canadiens situation by saying: "Though the Montreal Canadiens only finished seventh in the Eastern Conference with 93 points in 2005-2006, the team played very well down the stretch (going 16-9-1 after the Olympic break) and was off to a fine start in their first-round series, leading 2-0 against Carolina, when captain Saku Koivu got hurt and seemingly sapped all the confidence and poise out of the team."

Then he goes on to suggest what Montreal needs to do to strenghten itself, where we need to fill in our week spots and how to do it. There's not a whole lot new:

For the offense, he talks about acqiring Todd Bertuzzi, Jason Arnott or Éric Dazé .

For our defensive needs, he talks about the possibility of moving Sheldon Souray and acquiring Rob Blake, Ruslan Salei or Pavel Kubina .

He offers his ideas on our goaltending situation by considering the resigning of Cristobal Huet and/or David Aebischer .

He finishes off his article by saying: "... the Canadiens are in relatively good position to build on this year's playoff team. It will be up to Gainey to make a couple significant signings to help the team keep moving forward ."

Stuff certainly worth looking at if not really revolutionary.

Here's the link to the article: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=168318&hubname=

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Wow, I wish I got paid by TSN to write this kind of nonsense. Infact TSN should hire Habsworld and they could pay us to write their columns. And on the plus side, they'd get all our fighting and name calling as an added bonus....it could be like reality TV.

Scott Cullen.....I've heard better inside stuff from Al Strachan

Edited by kaos

Everything he says is obvious but the one place he completely screws up is where he lists Jonathan Bernier as one of the 3 guys we might draft at 16th overall.

Scott Cullen is a Toronto Maple LEaf wanabe reporter. Does everyone not remember the ranking system and how he thinks teams should be rank by a carefully scripted (GUESSES) process he has. I cannot believe anyone still reads his trash. Go away Cullen, leave our glorious Habs alone and just do your Leaf thing....

Scott Cullen is a Toronto Maple LEaf wanabe reporter. Does everyone not remember the ranking system and how he thinks teams should be rank by a carefully scripted (GUESSES) process he has. I cannot believe anyone still reads his trash. Go away Cullen, leave our glorious Habs alone and just do your Leaf thing....

LOL, I actually wrote to him a few times early in the season to argue is "ranking" system. The guy is so lost its not even funny. I still don't understand why he's on TSN's payroll...oh wait, maybe its because he favorably puts the Maple Laughs as contenders even when there not making playoffs, maybe that's why he's still on Toronto Sports Network or is it The Sports Network ;)

Honestly, he would justify his ranking with some lousy arguments, but then would refute those arguments and use the ones he was refuting before on is next email because it was not maintening the Maple Laughs in a good spot on his ranking system. I even wrote to him that he was a joke and that he was contributing to make TSN a laughing stock and contributing to their well known second name as Toronto Sports Network. In the end (when I would quote him and show him that he was changing is system every week to justify his ranking), he was so out of arguments and lost in his explanations to justify things to me that he responded to me that is system was not perfect and that he would prefer that I didn't write to him anymore and that I should ignore his system if I was not happy with it, so for the first and only time ever, I agreed with what he said and did just that. I avoid anything from this guy, unless I need a good laughter, my 5 year old nephew would do a better job then him.

Its sad, but TSN, RDS, everywhere, I learned a while ago that most of their "experts" are actually not that knowlegable and real hard core fans know their hockey much better then them. I know that on RDS, they are all quite pathetic to listen to, most especially Yvon "the idot" Pedneault. Just got to laugh when he pulls out a replay and his black marker (the thing to write stuff on the screen on replays) and explains to us a play, its so ridiculous its hilarious. Watching the Habs on RDS is a 2 for 1. You get sports and comedy at the same time, quite entertaining :lol:

Edited by Komisarek the Cruncher

Well of course you guys are gonna know all this stuff, you're already diehard Habs fans. I bet you diehard Flames fans already knew everything they said about them and I can guarantee I'll know exactly what the Avs plan will look like.

It's just there for other teams fans or possibly the fans who don't follow their team as religiously as we do. I'll agree Cullen is a doofus though, his power ranking system is asinine. I've argued about it with him too, I'm not sure he knows how his own system works. It'd probably be just as efficient for him to pull teams out of a hat.

i know u guys are hardcore habs fans... but right now this thread just sounds like a bunch of ignorant ppl who think they know better then everyone.

u guys are exagerating with all the 'he doesnt know crap, us fans know better, i already knew that!'. news goes around fast, and it gets repeated a lot of times over and over again. and yvon is there to commentate and sometimes state the obvious, but what do u want him to do? talk about his grandkids that we dont know about? im sorry, but the rds commentators are just fine, if u think u know ur hockey, then go commentate urself somewhere.

im sorry, but im just getting sick of everyones bitching about the media. and blah blah balh I KNOW EVERYTHING!!!!!

but i do agree tsn and cbc sux sometimes, but that has nothing to do with how they dont know shit about hockey... but about how theyre pro leafs.

hockey is a sport, and ppl will always have there own opinions about it. and just because u already know what information theyre talkin about, doesnt mean theyre idiots!

im a bit drunk, so i dunno if thhis message makes sense!

i know u guys are hardcore habs fans... but right now this thread just sounds like a bunch of ignorant ppl who think they know better then everyone.

I think calling everyone ignorant shows ignorance in your post. The media is biased, what planet do you live on? It is just a fact of life as the Toronto Maple Leafs generate tons of cash and the networks line up to get a portion of that action. That is just life.

If you bothered to read this guys stuff over the last year he makes no sense in his analysis. He also just reiterates others views that are obvious. This is not just from people on this board, but from other fans of teams that notice his bias. TSN is very biased for the Leafs as this is their bread and butter for profits. Nobody I know holds any grudge or sour grapes towards TSN as it is a well run network.

We all have opinions and recognize ridiculous reporting. I can only apologise for not being as smart as you and feel bad that I may have upset you.

If you don't like my posts just ignore them. It would be ignorant of you to continue reading my stuff and commenting on it if you dislike my personal views.

im a bit drunk, so i dunno if thhis message makes sense!

NOt really.

Well of course you guys are gonna know all this stuff, you're already diehard Habs fans. I bet you diehard Flames fans already knew everything they said about them and I can guarantee I'll know exactly what the Avs plan will look like.

It's just there for other teams fans or possibly the fans who don't follow their team as religiously as we do. I'll agree Cullen is a doofus though, his power ranking system is asinine. I've argued about it with him too, I'm not sure he knows how his own system works. It'd probably be just as efficient for him to pull teams out of a hat.

I don't really agree with this. THese guys, analysts/Prognosticators/insiders are supose to have genuine inside information about what a team is going or what they are looking for, from their source's that are close to the team. If you don't have any information than shut up, and move on to the next team. Don't just repeat crap that everybody knows about

u guys are exagerating with all the 'he doesnt know crap, us fans know better, i already knew that!'. news goes around fast, and it gets repeated a lot of times over and over again. and yvon is there to commentate and sometimes state the obvious, but what do u want him to do? talk about his grandkids that we dont know about? im sorry, but the rds commentators are just fine, if u think u know ur hockey, then go commentate urself somewhere.

Yvon Pedneault is the laughing stock of Montreal. Every single person I know (and that's a lot) say that he doesn't know is hockey and that he sounds like a fool on TV. By the way, him and Pierre Houde spend half their time talking about life and other stuff then actually describing the ongoing game.

Pierre: Ward gives the puck to Kaberle.

Yvon: Did you have a nice week-end Pierre ?

Pierre: Yes, i went fishing and it was great!

Yvon: Did you catch any fish?

Pierre: Yes, i caught 5 of them, including a big one.

Yvon, Really, and did you/

Pierre: And he scores!!!!!!! Great goal by Kovalev!!!! (If it wasn't for the image, nobody would have known that the Habs were now in possession of the puck).

Great game play analysis.

Also, Pedneault was the one with the "scoop" that Kovalev was injured to his right knee in game 2 vs. the Canes and that he had difficulty making right turns on the ice. He even said that Kovy went to get X-rays at the hospital to see the damage on his knee. Guess what, Kovy and the medical staff of the Habs denied everything after the Habs were eliminated. Never got injured and never went to the hospital. Pedneault is a fu..ing idiot PERIOD.

Edited by Komisarek the Cruncher

NOt really.

I don't really agree with this. THese guys, analysts/Prognosticators/insiders are supose to have genuine inside information about what a team is going or what they are looking for, from their source's that are close to the team. If you don't have any information than shut up, and move on to the next team. Don't just repeat crap that everybody knows about

How do you know everybody knows this stuff though? Everybody here does obviously but not every fan spends every waking moment trying to find every tidbit of info. The off-season plans are just a guide for the casual fan, nothing more, nothing less. The same way THN's Season Previews work.

How do you know everybody knows this stuff though? Everybody here does obviously but not every fan spends every waking moment trying to find every tidbit of info. The off-season plans are just a guide for the casual fan, nothing more, nothing less. The same way THN's Season Previews work.

Sorry, I was referring to the people on here. How many people do you know that follow all 30 teams in the league? Everybody I know only follows there favorite team....thats what I was referring to

Sorry, I was referring to the people on here. How many people do you know that follow all 30 teams in the league? Everybody I know only follows there favorite team....thats what I was referring to

OK, you can call me odd. I LOVE watching the Avalanche play hockey. They are a fun team to watch and really entertain me. Then I have this other part of me that LOVES to watch the Canadiens as they work so hard and battle for every puck. And the Habs really entertain me. I try to keep up on the Avalanche site as much as here and the Montreal Canadiens site for news. I'm sick, I want to see a Colorado/Montreal final for the Stanley Cup!

I would become a person of two minds trying to figure out who to vote for. :blink: