Weekly grades

Habby1197

Good job Habby, no major qualms there.

I've been thinking though, with Rivet's case of Kilger-itis.

Remember how he did quite well for Team Canada this past summer, playing with some rookie call Bowmeester? Given FLA's lack of defensive power, and the small bit of chemistry that there was between the two, is Florida a possible destination?

Keenan's gone now, and thus so is his doghouse. With Gainey's spiel last week, and his new effort to aquire scorers and big players, can he find some hidden gem in Florida?

I'm sure we wouldn't get anything big in return for Rivet (with his big salary and big "-" in the +/- column), but a package deal (which we talk about all the time) could work.

I'm not sure if we've talked about this before, but I'm a fan of Marcus Nilson. Not much of a fantasy player (I found that out soon enough), but still a great guy to have on the team. Another guy is Ivan Novoseltsev, but I reckon we have enough players on this team like him.

Anyway, here's to Rivet's play picking up. It'll be better for us, either way

Nice job...

A few comments:

Saku Koivu: The Habs captain is starting to play better. He had 3 assists in 4 games this past week and seems to have given Richard Zednik a little jump start. While Koivu has looked better he’s still not where he was last year and is still looking for his first goal in 11 Games…Weekly grade: B

Kudos to Koivu the player for waking Zednik up from his deep slumber. Yet Saku needs to start scoring himself, he needs to shoot more.

But thumbs down to Koivu the captain, for failling to rally this team together... for years now. this year is not different.

Mike Ribeiro: The kid, who looked like he would never bust out, finally has. With 2 points in 4 games this week Ribs sits atop the Habs scoring leaders with 15 points. He’s become the Habs second most dangerous player only behind captain Koivu. He’s also shooting more with 11 shots in 4 games this week… Weekly grade: B+

I'm one of the few who was saying Ribeiro would make it back when he truly didn't belong yet. Still I hear a lot of people saying he should be dealt.

I'm not one of those people. What the Habs need is to upgrade his linemates. Next year I'm thinking Higgins & a new RWer.

The one thing that disappoints me about him is that he doesn't complement his great passing skill with a little scoring. His shot is weak, all three of his goals are dekes as far as I can remember. He really needs to work on his shot.

That said, how he managed to string a 8-9 consecutive games with a point with varying ice-time and the whole team mirred in an UGLY offensive slump was impressive.

Yanic Perreault: After being a healthy scratch for 3 games Perreault has returned with a vengeance. He has 3 points in his last 4 games while playing LW and not complaining about it. He’s also stepped up his defensive play and has been extremely solid. It’s nice to see a guy challenge himself like Yanic did; I hope he keeps it up. Weekly grade: A

Alhough rock solid is pushing it a little, I must admit he and Ribeiro have been a good fit... and Yannick did have himself a good week.

Jan Bulis: If he only knew how good he is…Bulis had an up and down week. Playing on the 3rd line hasn’t helped him at all but since he’s the Habs most complete player he’s needed there. Jan’s speed is vital when playing with Juneau and Dackell. Bulis showed a flash of what he could do early into Friday nights game against his former team in Washington. Since being traded to Montreal Bulis has 5 goals in 10 game VS his former team. Bulis only had that one goal in 4 games this week, but his overall play was good. Weekly grade: B-

Biggest underachiever in the whole team... then again he learned from the best (Juneau). He has the tools to provide the offense we're missing, yet he's content to hide on the 3rd line and pot the occasional goal.

Julien needs to put him in an offensive role once Perreault is dealt.

Andreas Dackell: Seems like as Juneau goes, Dackell goes, and Juneau didn’t have a very good week. Dackell is working hard but like Juneau can’t compete with the NHL’s best. If it wasn’t for Bulis that line would be that much worse. Weekly grade: D

Dackell has been a nice surprise this season, has outplayed Sundstrom by a significant margin... and did well even when used on the 2nd line.

So he had an off week, it happens.

Francis Boullion: Boullion didn’t have a great week, he is still throwing big hits but it’s often taking him out of position. On the bright side he’s a real team guy and sticks up for everyone. He never backs down from a challenge; he’s a guy you want on your team, but only playing if there are injuries. Weekly grade: C-

I disagree that him looking for big hits is getting him out of position... it's happened only one or twice to him this year.

Frankly he's not getting enough credit for solid he has been... he's very versatile, tough, very fast, play PK & PP well. And one hell of a bargain price.

I rather see Haisney doing well, but since he's a bust I'm glad we have Bouillon standing tall.

I don't think Hainsey is a bust either. The only chance he had this year was once again, when there were injuries, when Hainsey and Bouillon were both in the lineup. I'm sure Komisarek will get yoyo'd around just like Hainsey was too. Bouillon I don't mind as a 7th defenseman, but that is it.

Then again, Bouillon has been paired with Rivet, and that's just asking for trouble, it seems.

Bust so far is what I meant... of course he still has time to get his act together.

I was at the end of a long post and didn't feel the need to expand on what I meant by "bust"... didn't know it provoke such a reaction.

If there's a player that doesn't deserve all this support, it's Hainsey.

But what can I say, a lot of people want to believe he'll eventually break out. I'm not so sure anymore. He and Hossa have been major disappointments... they have the skill but their attitude sucks.

Not Gainey kind of players, wouldn't be surprised if both are eventually dealt in the long run.

[Edited on 2-12-03 by Habs77]

The problem is, on a team with such a horrid powerplay and a lacklustre offence, there's no reason why Hainsey shouldn't be playing on the big team. He works the PP confidently and effectively, but for some reason no one is willing to show confidence in him. Same story goes for Komisarek. He's only playing 10 minutes a night, why?

Now, I like what Bouillon brings to the table. He's not big, but I don't see that as important. What's important, is that he sticks up for his teammates, wears his heart on his sleeve, and comes to play every game, even though he's not the most talented guy on the ice, not at all. However, the fact that he is playing over a talented, offensive defenceman who lit up training camp two seasons ago is what bothers me.

If this was Bouillon playing in favour of Dykhuis or Traverse, I'd be all in favour of it. However, I feel Hainsey needs to play and play often. Luckily, I think Gainey has realized that #51 is the Coach's man, so he gave Hainsey the chance to flourish in the AHL. I see where Julien's thinking is at, with the mix of so many lazy and uninspired players on the team, watching Bouillon hustle around should be inspiring.

I'd like to think Hainsey (and Hossa, too) will be paid a visit by Gainey and company in the near future, and hopefully we'll see them back in Montreal. I, too, am fearing that Hainsey is on the verge of taking a step backwards, but I'm placing the blame solely on Julien (and Therrien). He's been flopped around from Day 1, when it was evident he had the skills to play a regular shift here in Montreal.

However, seeing that Ryder, Ward, Ribeiro, and Markov all were not given a chance until they were 23, maybe the same is in store for Hainsey ;).

I just get the feeling that on nearly every other team in the league, he would already have a full season under his belt. Dissapointing.

While I agree that Hainsey is talented, I also agree that he has been less than spectacular as of late. Not that we were expecting him to be spectacular in the first place, but still...

IMO, Markov and Komisarek are the only definites on the Montreal blueline for the next 5 years. Souray is making a strong case for himself, but there's a good chance he'll get an injury and be out for the whole season.

Bouillion is a good sparkplug, but doesn't have the size to shoot like Souray, or clear the slot like Komisarek.

Beauchemin probably has an equal or greater chance than Bouillion, but I doubt he'll ever be more than a 4th or 5th D.

Rivet and Quintal will both hopefully be gone in the next 5 years, just to make room for Korneev and Archer and Traverse. :nono: not funny

Hainsey could be a great player, but I doubt on our team. I agree with Habs77 in that he and Hossa will probably be traded to improve our offense. Hossa could improve our offence if he played centre with quality linemates, but we're struggling to get Koivu quality linemates, and with Ribeiro and Juneau around, he'll be hard pressed. I actually would like to see Hossa tried as 3rd line centre. He's big enough, and playing with Bulis and Ward could probably stall the competition, and pot 40 points each a season.

Ah, but to dream... :eyes:

I highly agree that Hainsey should be on the team and be given a big role. He definitely has the talent to be in the top 6 on the habs blueline, and be on at least the 2nd pp unit.

I also hated seeing Komi down in the minors, he too big, strong and (what we need) Skilled to be in the minors.

Get rid of either Quintal or Rivet and Keep Bouillon around as the 7th.

Markov-Breezer

Souray-Komi

Hainsey-Quintal/Rivet

pp:

Markov-Souray

Hainsey-Breezer

pk:

Souray-Komi (I wouldnt wanna stand in front of theo with these to guys there)

pp:

Markov-Souray

Hainsey-Breezer

pk:

Souray-Komi (I wouldnt wanna stand in front of theo with these to guys there)

On the PP, we forget Komisarek, who will have a shot similar to Souray's genetically enhanced wrist in 2 years time. He is an almost complete defenceman, he just needs experience and maturity, and that comes with time.

However, our PK would be very slow with Souray and Komisarek as our two Ds. I dont' really have a better option, but I discourage the use of both those guys.

Maybe Souray-Bouillion (Souray take the front of the net, Bouillion take the corners) and Markov - Komisarek.

btu then they'll be tired.

I wish we had the Isle's defense... or Detroit's... or Colorado's... or St.Louis's... or even Anaheim's...

:monkey:

[Edited on 2003/12/2 by TheAussiePosse]

Originally posted by Bonavistaman11

I highly agree that Hainsey should be on the team and be given a big role.  He definitely has the talent to be in the top 6 on the habs blueline, and be on at least the 2nd pp unit.

I also hated seeing Komi down in the minors, he too big, strong and (what we need) Skilled to be in the minors

Although I certainly understand where you're coming from - I've been pleading for them to play the kids for a while now - I don't agree that they should " be given a big role". They should have to earn it.

Hainsey was HORRIBLE in camp this year, just horrible. The only reason he made the team was because we had a hole on the left side.

Komisarek was very ordinary, not to say bad, in training camp also. Add that to the fact we already 3 veteran right D men... and Komisarek went to Hamilton.

But it was HIS fault, if he excelled in camp... he would have forced Julien's hand. That's what the kids have to do, force the coach to play them. Ribeiro & Ryder have done it, Hossa & Hainsey have failed to do the same. THEY ARE ACCOUNTABLE TOO, it's not all on the team for not playing them.

If Hainsey can't outperform a fringe player like Bouillon, well that says a lot now doesn't it. And don't try to tell me he was playing better than Bouillon this year... because he really wasn't.

Hossa deserves to be where he is too... as much as I'd like to see him playing instead of a Dagenais, Sundstrom, Dackell.. etc... he still has to earn it.

And he isn't.

[Edited on 2-12-03 by Habs77]