Cap To Be $44m Next Season

Psycing

According to TSN.ca and the NHL Players Association, the cap will be raising $5 Million from it's original $39 million to $44M.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=169195&hubname=nhl

This will certainly give the Habs the room they need to bring in at least one top player to help the team in it's quest for the cup.

That's good news for everyone. Only problem is with this cap raise can this be beneficial for the league? This cap raise can make possibly make a big splash on any team if the money is well spent on getting a great player or this cap raise can be useless since GMs could waste the cap space by offering stupid overpaying contracts.

I was reading the other day that the league estimated revenues of 1.8 billion for the season. After everything is tallied, the figure looks to be around 2.1 billion.

Looks like the lockout is working great for the owners. Too bad the players were so stinking greedy that they lost a whole season.

According to TSN.ca and the NHL Players Association, the cap will be raising $5 Million from it's original $39 million to $44M.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=169195&hubname=nhl

This will certainly give the Habs the room they need to bring in at least one top player to help the team in it's quest for the cup.

Thing is that it'll do the same for the other 29 teams. Doesn't change things much in the aspect of signing free agents.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

I just want the little guys getting help. Would be great to see a little team win it again.

I agree... the little guys getting help would be great... seeing a 'little team' win would be great too.

But, to counter that, Tampa Bay and Carolina are not the biggies in the league either. The biggies (Rangers, Red Wings, Flyers, Stars, Maple Leafs, etc...) have gotten nowhere in a long time.

My biggest concern with the cap rising is that the disparity between the 'rich' teams and the not so rich teams will start to widen again. Stuff like Pronger going to Edmonton will not likely happen again.

I agree... the little guys getting help would be great... seeing a 'little team' win would be great too.

But, to counter that, Tampa Bay and Carolina are not the biggies in the league either. The biggies (Rangers, Red Wings, Flyers, Stars, Maple Leafs, etc...) have gotten nowhere in a long time.

My biggest concern with the cap rising is that the disparity between the 'rich' teams and the not so rich teams will start to widen again. Stuff like Pronger going to Edmonton will not likely happen again.

This is very true except they can only spend so much before they hit the cap. It used to be ridiculous how much money the top teams spent at the trade deadline. Plus teams like the Leafs now have get a farm system going instead of relying on the league to provide players for them.

The small market teams will not spend to the cap in many cases. Montreal should not be considered small market as they have a robust city and should be able to develope some corporate wealth now that they are respectable on the ice.

I can see Montreal up to $40M when Bob gainey is all said and done this summer.