David Fischer..

HABSROCK11

I think it was a great move by BG to trade down and pick up another pick...

They wanted this kid from the beginning considering his name was sewn on to the jersey already..LOL

He is supposed to be an offensive D-man who can move the puck....Great pick at 20...

I sure hope he isnt Ron Hainsey.

I'd be okay with another Ron Hainsey, as long as he reaches his potential with the Habs and not another team. David sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders and is known as a hard worker. Those are two qualities he already has over Hainsey.

Yeah, he looked very good at the interview and I'm sure we won't have a problem attitude with him

True. After listening to that interview I got a good feeling about this kid. Looking forward at seeing him play at the U of Minn next season.

"Our scouts are confident he'll be able to jump right in with the Golden Gophers. I think after a year or two there, we'll know if he's showing signs whether he's ready to move to the next stage."

-Bob Gainey

Go David Fischer!!!

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Our Minnesota scout (can't remember his name) coached him in the minors. He's a got a great attitude, works hard,has got some leadership, skates fast, is big. Fischer says he's going to work on getting stronger this year as he should at 6"3,175 lbs.

Gainey did his homework. This is a good pick. And picking up the 2nd to draft a 2nd good defenceman in Mathieu Carle was even better.

I like this pick. We could have got Sanguinetti and I would have been happy with that. But I like the stategy of taking a guy with a huge upside. He may not pan out but he might be a future star defenceman. With a pick like number 16 or 20 I really like taking a gamble.

I like this pick. We could have got Sanguinetti and I would have been happy with that. But I like the stategy of taking a guy with a huge upside. He may not pan out but he might be a future star defenceman. With a pick like number 16 or 20 I really like taking a gamble.

I consider Fischer more a very safe pick considered to Sanguinetti and Nigel Williams. Colorado would have been happy with Williams in the 1st round and yet they picked him up 51st overall in the second round! That could be the steal of the draft as he has top pairing potential.

Anyways, I like Fischer, Carle, Valentenko and Cepek. That makes 4 more defenceman join our ranks. And Ben Maxwell was a terrific pick. I'm not sure about Ryan White but he was highly touted so I guess that's good.

Instead of having a guy like Sanguinetti, who apparently doesn't play physical at all and is not reliable in his own end (can you spell McCabe), we have Fischer who seems to have much more upside (just won't be ready as quickly as CHL Ds) and Mathieu Carle, a very good offensive D with a blazzing shot.

2 for 1, looks good to me :D

I hope Fischer does well, the key will be whether he succeeds after jumping to the U of Minnesota this year.

Mind you, I compared him to Hainsey because of this from ESPN.

"E.J Hradek's take: A Minnesota high schooler, Fischer impressed scouts with his size and skating ability. Some clubs that interviewed him believed he was a little too arrogant. Obviously, the Canadiens weren't among that group. They were comfortable trading back to get Fischer."

The kid seems to have a good head on his shoulders judging from his post draft interview though..

I'll trust the Habs scouting department over what a poster says on a board from the "scouts" he spoke too.

The kid sounded great on a "real" TV interview yesterday.

Also read somewhere that he likes to wear #9 and when asked if he would wear #9 in Mtl by reporters, he looked at them with a "are you dumb" look and replied "Richard....". Sounds like a great kid to me :D

Edited by Komisarek the Cruncher

Inside College Hockey on Fischer:

Quote:

He may not have been the most talented player in the draft, but Apple Valley (Minn.) H.S. defenseman David Fischer, another Minnesota-bound prospect who went to Montreal with the 20th overall pick, might have been the funniest. Among the gems unleashed by the guy who says his nickname is "Fishdaddy:"

• When asked by a reporter on areas in which he needs to improve, the 6-3, 185-pound Fischer patted his chest with both hands, then mimicked a bench press motion with his arms.

• Queried for his thoughts on whether Erik Johnson would be a Gopher next season, Fischer responded, "He says he's coming and I believe him. But we'll see when the money gets on the table."

• Another scribe noted that Fischer likes to wear No. 9. When quizzed why he couldn't wear that number with the Habs, he stared blankly at the dozen or so reporters surrounding him, pausing for a moment and hesistantly said, "Richard?" Fischer exhaled deeply, aware that his future with Montreal could have been doomed roughly 15 minutes after he was picked.

This was found on BTH's HF Forum: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=261296&page=5&pp=25

I wouldn't put too much into that so called 'Richard incident' - I didn't actually see it myself, but he also may have been taken aback by the fact some idiot reporter was actually just dumb enough to ask such an idiotic question.

His brief interview on TSN right after he was picked seemed to indicate he knew about the Habs tradition of excellence.

Man, people need to stop looking for idiotic crap........... :angry2::wacko:

I wouldn't put too much into that so called 'Richard incident' - I didn't actually see it myself, but he also may have been taken aback by the fact some idiot reporter was actually just dumb enough to ask such an idiotic question.

His brief interview on TSN right after he was picked seemed to indicate he knew about the Habs tradition of excellence.

Man, people need to stop looking for idiotic crap........... :angry2::wacko:

Who said anything about putting anything in there, it was just a funny thing that happened that we posted.

There's no "incident" there. Read the post, it's about him being a funny guy.

It's not every young kid out there that know Richard or what number he wore. I don't know much about old players from other teams.

Who said anything about putting anything in there, it was just a funny thing that happened that we posted.

There's no "incident" there. Read the post, it's about him being a funny guy.

It's not every young kid out there that know Richard or what number he wore. I don't know much about old players from other teams.

I have to agree with KTC here, aside from myself, no one in my French 12 class knew who the Rocket was. At least they were Canadian, this guy's from Minnesota.

I didn't see the interview that was in question - so the reason I referred to it as a 'Richard incident' was actually based on a written article(not online so no link) that I came across earlier today which described it in such a way as if it were an incident. Their particular wording made it sound much worse than what it probably was. Unfortunately I can't remeber what rag I read that in - so my apologies that I can't?

And I didn't quote either of the posts here directly, so wasn't necessarily implying you might have been reading something into it yourselves.

Problem is that someone will intimate that he meant one thing when he said another, and we all know where that crap ends up in the garbage of the wrong tabloid(s)........

My main point was the fact he seemed to have some clue about the Habs organization when TSN interviewed him at that time.

I didn't see the interview that was in question - so the reason I referred to it as a 'Richard incident' was actually based on a written article(not online so no link) that I came across earlier today which described it in such a way as if it were an incident. Their particular wording made it sound much worse than what it probably was. Unfortunately I can't remeber what rag I read that in - so my apologies that I can't?

And I didn't quote either of the posts here directly, so wasn't necessarily implying you might have been reading something into it yourselves.

Problem is that someone will intimate that he meant one thing when he said another, and we all know where that crap ends up in the garbage of the wrong tabloid(s)........

My main point was the fact he seemed to have some clue about the Habs organization when TSN interviewed him at that time.

That's fine. I just didn't want the other readers to start thinking that he had already made a mistake or something. Not aware that you saw something else in another article.

He does seem to know a little about the Hbas. At least he knows we're a team with great tradition and all the Cups and stuff like he said on TSN :D

That's fine. I just didn't want the other readers to start thinking that he had already made a mistake or something. Not aware that you saw something else in another article.

He does seem to know a little about the Hbas. At least he knows we're a team with great tradition and all the Cups and stuff like he said on TSN :D

No problem - I just wanted to clarify why I referred to it in that way. Probably should have been a little clearer on that post. And I'm just guessing that it definitely would have helped if I'd been on the ball and listed my source at the time!?!?!

• 3 weeks later...

"When I had my picture taken with Mr. Gainey, it was fantasy... like a dream. This is a beautiful jersey, the best in hockey. It's tough skating without taking a glance. It's amazing to represent the Montreal Canadiens."

-David Fischer

Gotta love this kid. Gotta love him.

"When I had my picture taken with Mr. Gainey, it was fantasy... like a dream. This is a beautiful jersey, the best in hockey. It's tough skating without taking a glance. It's amazing to represent the Montreal Canadiens."

-David Fischer

Gotta love this kid. Gotta love him.

Most kids thinks the same, all over Canada, in the US and in Europe.

Its just the $$$ they make when they've been in the NHL that suddenly changes their mind.