Gagne In Montreal?

C-Love

Pat Hickey has mentioned that this is something Montreal may want to consider. I do believe that the price of making a bid for any RFA is too high, but maybe a deal can be made here? We have an abundance of young talent and have yet to make a move. If we could swing this type of deal, I would pretty happy if we couldn't do another for the rest of the offseason. Go with the youngsters, and still have some $ for the trade deadline. I think with Gagne in the lineup we would be in a position to take a run at it next year, that is if everything works out with Huet. BG has to be giving some thought to even trying to deal Kositsyn. It would be a real shame to lose him, but you've got to pay to play, and someone like Gagne is not coming cheap. :hlogo:

http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/spectors_trade_rumours.htm

Bob could try, but Gagne won't sign that offer shit...errr I mean sheet.

First off, Clarke would match any offer he would get for Gagne.

Second of all, well I should say first of all, Gagne would most likely refuse the offer sheet. I think he likes playing with the Flyers and won't probably move unless things got real sour between him an the organization.

A team from the West offered Luongo LAST WEEK an offer sheet of 8.2M a season and he flat out refused it.

I don't thing BG should put an offer in, but I do think he should actively look for a trade. The price is way too high for any RFA but I do think a trade may be do-able if Gagne is steadfast in his negotions and like the rumours say, they are far apart. Clarke doesn't appear to be a real patient man, and he has proved in the past that no one is safe, he will trade anyone if the price is right. I would just hate to see us miss out because we didn't try - a' la Tanguay.

If Gainey is watching any team closely it's the Devils. How in the hell are they going to re-sign Hale, Martin, Gionta and Gomez without exceeding the max allowable cap (the cap is 44M but the max you can go is 49M rounded up).

If Gainey is watching any team closely it's the Devils. How in the hell are they going to re-sign Hale, Martin, Gionta and Gomez without exceeding the max allowable cap (the cap is 44M but the max you can go is 49M rounded up).

$49M until the season starts, I do not know this number? NHL confuses me. I heard the cap is set at $44M as JFjr was on the Fan590 the other day. Leafs are at ~ $38.5M right now and still want to sign guys like Carter. He needs four more players for the roster and said ~ $41M tops for the Leafs to leave wiggle room. (OK so he didn't say the numbers, they had to beat it out of him)

Gionta and Gomez are two excellent players. Not even sure now if the Habs have cap room for them.

No player is worth 4 first-round picks, except maybe a true franchise player a la Ovechkin. But Hickey's point was that the Habs should sniff around about trading to acquire Gagne. That seems reasonable; it can't hurt to ask.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

No player is worth 5 first-round picks, except maybe a true franchise player a la Ovechkin.

That's how I see it, (Though if I read correctly, the new max is 4 1st Round Picks). MAYBE Ovenchkin and Crosby are worth 4 First round picks, but I'd still go with the 4 picks and build a full team.

That's how I see it, (Though if I read correctly, the new max is 4 1st Round Picks). MAYBE Ovenchkin and Crosby are worth 4 First round picks, but I'd still go with the 4 picks and build a full team.

Yeah, I edited my post to 4 picks. Thanks though. And I agree.

So what happens when you trade away 4 1st rounders [for Crosby or Ovechkin] and they get hurt? Or suffer a career ending injury/accident....................slipping on ice or whatever..

I'd rather have the 4 1st rounders, since you could always use these in the future to deal.....not all at once though

So what happens when you trade away 4 1st rounders [for Crosby or Ovechkin] and they get hurt? Or suffer a career ending injury/accident....................slipping on ice or whatever..

I'd rather have the 4 1st rounders, since you could always use these in the future to deal.....not all at once though

except your four 1st rounders may never play a single game in the NHL whereas Crosby and Ovech will be around for years to come.Your 1st rounder may also be 30th overall!

The CBA allows a team to exceed the cap by 10% during the offseason, but it must be trimmed to the limit by the first day of the regular season. Once the season starts you have to fall under the cap limits set at both ends of the scale, as there is both minimum and maximum team salary ranges.

Edited by beliveau1

A first rounder itself has so much value. You could just ship them around and fill more than one gap instead of wasting them all on one player.

I agree, and that's the point I was trying to make...........but some people; oh well.....

And there might be a year when it's a real strong draft; where there are a good 5-10 players [with no clear #1] who could go to any team, (depending on that team's needs)....

I dont think an RFA has been given an offer sheet from another team in about 15 years now. It just something teams all have "secretly" agreed not to do to each other.

So the worth of four 1st rounders is kind of a moot point, but for the sake of the argument I'll just say that with only 1 of those 1st rounders, you can draft a future star that's almost equivalent to anyone out there. Moreover, that's 4 consecutive years without a 1st rounder. In the long run, its your talent base that's eroded.

Imagine 4 years without a 1st rounder for the Habs: no Higgins, no Kostitsyn, no Chipchura and no Price. Would you give all four of these kids for Gagne (or anyone out there)? I wouldnt.

Imagine 4 years without a 1st rounder for the Habs: no Higgins, no Kostitsyn, no Chipchura and no Price. Would you give all four of these kids for Gagne (or anyone out there)? I wouldnt.

I wouldn't trade those guys for Gagne, but the jury is still out on whether they'll out-value Ovechkin. But there have been stretches where losing some first rounders wouldn't have made a difference. Here are the picks from 1985-2000.

1985: Jose Charbonneau (12th overall)

1986: Mark Pederson (15th overall)

1987: Andrew Cassels (17th overall)

1988: Eric Charron (20th overall)

1989: Lindsay Vallis (13th overall)

1990: Turner Stevenson (12th overall)

1991: Brent Bilodeau (17th overall)

1992: David Wilkie (20th overall)

1993: Saku Koivu (21st overall)

1994: Brad Brown (18th overall)

1995: Terry Ryan (8th overall)

1996: Matt Higgins (18th overall)

1997: Jason Ward (11th overall)

1998: Eric Chouinard (16th overall)

1999: none

2000: Ron Hainsey (13th overall)

With the exception of 1993 and maybe 1987, I'd say we could have traded 12 first round picks for a bucket of sheep testicles and considered ourselves lucky to have pulled off such a sweet deal.

Even with our recent apparent success, the draft is still a crap-shoot. And I'm hoping that our future picks won't include many in the the top-10 (unless we get them through trades rather than bad seasons).

I wouldn't trade those guys for Gagne, but the jury is still out on whether they'll out-value Ovechkin. But there have been stretches where losing some first rounders wouldn't have made a difference. Here are the picks from 1985-2000.

1985: Jose Charbonneau (12th overall)

1986: Mark Pederson (15th overall)

1987: Andrew Cassels (17th overall)

1988: Eric Charron (20th overall)

1989: Lindsay Vallis (13th overall)

1990: Turner Stevenson (12th overall)

1991: Brent Bilodeau (17th overall)

1992: David Wilkie (20th overall)

1993: Saku Koivu (21st overall)

1994: Brad Brown (18th overall)

1995: Terry Ryan (8th overall)

1996: Matt Higgins (18th overall)

1997: Jason Ward (11th overall)

1998: Eric Chouinard (16th overall)

1999: none

2000: Ron Hainsey (13th overall)

With the exception of 1993 and maybe 1987, I'd say we could have traded 12 first round picks for a bucket of sheep testicles and considered ourselves lucky to have pulled off such a sweet deal.

Even with our recent apparent success, the draft is still a crap-shoot. And I'm hoping that our future picks won't include many in the the top-10 (unless we get them through trades rather than bad seasons).

What about 1990? Turner has had some quality years in the NHL.

What about 1990? Turner has had some quality years in the NHL.

Yeah...Turner was better than the bucket of bits, but lump him with any three others (with the exception of Koivu), and I'd still rather have Gagné.

Is he a quality star player though? No..

Let's be charitable and say that out of 4 years, you get 2 NHLers.

It wouldn't be that much of a loss for the right player.

Agreed. Like I said a few posts back, how many 1st rounders actually end up playing-remeber,a 1st rounder is not a 1st OVERALL pick.

You're right... That was 12 years of drafting futility. But it rather confirms what I was saying. Those aweful drafts were the prime reason the Habs sucked in recent years. They had no quality prospects. So bad drafting is as deadly as not having any 1st rounders. Either way your future is endangered.

I dont think an RFA has been given an offer sheet from another team in about 15 years now. It just something teams all have "secretly" agreed not to do to each other.

So the worth of four 1st rounders is kind of a moot point, but for the sake of the argument I'll just say that with only 1 of those 1st rounders, you can draft a future star that's almost equivalent to anyone out there. Moreover, that's 4 consecutive years without a 1st rounder. In the long run, its your talent base that's eroded.

Rangers tried to steal Sakic from us in 1999 when he was an RFA.