Souray Is Requesting A Trade?

Mr. Nasty

He never screwed any puppies last year, and he hasn't vowed to severe any contract!

He is rumoured to have asked for a trade for personal reasons.

No major sports sources in Ontario, or that I know of have yet to report this - and they would if they put any stock in it - so this is still just that. A rumour that keeps floating about?

Quite simply put he has possibly asked Habs management if he could be moved elsewhere for good personal reasons. If he really has, then I would trust Gainey's compassion and especially his hockey smarts to make the right deal as it would be in everyone's best interest, all personal sentiments aside. And if you had a chance to move closer to your young child after a seperation/divorce, would you not see if it could be accommodated by your particular firm, or occupation?

Why does that kind of parenting instinct make him a schmuck - oy vey, a nahr bleibt a nahr!

And yes talent-wise he is a capable top 3/4 defenceman on most teams in todays NHL..... few if any NHL level people would argue that point!

As far as Pronger goes - uuummmhhhh, lets see now...... given the fact he is one of the very best in the NHL certainly made that deal much easier as everyone knew what a dog fight it was going to be to sign the few top flight defenceman available through free agency. I wonder how much better they might have done if that hadn't gone public, and only time will tell how well they actually did.

Problem is once it goes public it basically puts a gun to the head of any manger's head as the shrewd GM's are looking to force your hand. And it is not necessarily the players fault in every situation as it is often the media that is to blame - and the French press seem to love it when they can crucify some poor non Francophone for any possible reason.......

When I see a deal done or I hear him say it publically, then I will actually believe he requested this move?

'Til then it's just rampant specualation as far as can see?

Souray requesting a trade or not is non consequential!!

The scenario is Souray is in his last year of his contract with impending UFA after this season.

I would think that itself would be enough for HABs to be possibly looking to move him at some point

BUt add on the personal issue of Souray wanting to be closer to his famiily on top of that

and i would be very very surprised if he isnt moved !

Because if he isnt traded and plays out the year in Montreal he isnt coming back!

Edited by larek

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Souray requesting a trade or not is non consequential!!

The scenario is Souray is in his last year of his contract with impending UFA after this season.

I would think that itself would be enough for HABs to be possibly looking to move him at some point

BUt add on the personal issue of Souray wanting to be closer to his famiily on top of that

and i would be very very surprised if he isnt moved !

Because if he isnt traded and plays out the year in Montreal he isnt coming back!

Actually I wasn't referring to the aspect of Free Agency at all - that is obviously another aspect of it.

My comments were directed at the issue of whether he was a lazy bum last year, and the actual legitimacy of these trade rumours.

Obviously if he is actually intending to leave Montreal at the end of his contract then it would be best to move him now.

Only problem is it still puts a manager in the same pickle - trying to make a trade with a gun to his head.

Why would you deal something you want to keep for a guy you might be able to sign as a free agent next year?

If he is demanding a trade it definitely changes the whole scenario - how can it not?

Edited by beliveau1

First, Souray is a #3 or 4 defenceman on ANY good NHL team. Here, he's our #2, which may be a stretch - but that's not Souray's fault, it's the Habs' fault for having so many middling defencemen. He is well-regarded throughout the league and only Montreal fans would be so myopic as to allow his occasional defensive howlers to overwhelm all the assets he brings, including a booming shot, size, leadership, and good puck-moving skills.

Second, I'm increasingly certain that the Habs will be forced to move him. His impending UFA status combined with these ongoing low-level rumours that he wants to go elsewhere for family reasons is a very dangerous combination. These rumours are just too enduring to be wholly false. They've been burbling away for months now.

All I can say is that if the Habs don't replace him on the blueline with a real blue-chip stud, they will be hard-pressed to make the playoffs regardless of how many quality forward they have. Even with Souray the Habs need a bona fide #2 or #1A defenceman (after Markov). Without him, expect the D to be ground down, and possibly even Huet to start feeling the pinch. Bad, bad, bad.

How Gainey handles this file could be a real key to his tenure. Interesting times.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

First, Souray is a #3 or 4 defenceman on ANY good NHL team. Here, he's our #2, which may be a stretch - but that's not Souray's fault, it's the Habs' fault for having so many middling defencemen. He is well-regarded throughout the league and only Montreal fans would be so myopic as to allow his occasional defensive howlers to overwhelm all the assets he brings, including a booming shot, size, leadership, and good puck-moving skills.

Second, I'm increasingly certain that the Habs will be forced to move him. His impending UFA status combined with these ongoing low-level rumours that he wants to go elsewhere for family reasons is a very dangerous combination. These rumours are just too enduring to be wholly false. They've been burbling away for months now.

All I can say is that if the Habs don't replace him on the blueline with a real blue-chip stud, they will be hard-pressed to make the playoffs regardless of how many quality forward they have. Even with Souray the Habs need a bona fide #2 or #1A defenceman (after Markov). Without him, expect the D to be ground down, and possibly even Huet to start feeling the pinch. Bad, bad, bad.

How Gainey handles this file could be a real key to his tenure. Interesting times.

I agree !

Question is Markov going to be UFA after this season?

Actually I wasn't referring to the aspect of Free Agency at all - that is obviously another aspect of it.

My comments were directed at the issue of whether he was a lazy bum last year, and the actual legitimacy of these trade rumours.

Obviously if he is actually intending to leave Montreal at the end of his contract then it would be best to move him now.

Only problem is it still puts a manager in the same pickle - trying to make a trade with a gun to his head.

Why would you deal something you want to keep for a guy you might be able to sign as a free agent next year?

If he is demanding a trade it definitely changes the whole scenario - how can it not?

i dont know if you can say Souray has a gun to Gainey head!

He is UFA after this season and has every right to go to another team if he decides to

Gainey knows this and has known this for some time now

plus he also knows and has knownabout the personal issues which might be a factor

in his UFA decision

Markhov is a restricted free agent next season, I believe. Hopefully they can sign him to a long-term deal.

Souray and Rivet are impending UFAs. I'd be surprised to see Rivet go, but he is also very well-regarded around the NHL and I wouldn't be floored to see a little bidding war for his services if he does go UFA. It would depend on how many other D-men are out there.

In a perfect world we'd keep all three and add one more... :mellow:

Markhov is a restricted free agent next season, I believe. Hopefully they can sign him to a long-term deal.

Souray and Rivet are impending UFAs. I'd be surprised to see Rivet go, but he is also very well-regarded around the NHL and I wouldn't be floored to see a little bidding war for his services if he does go UFA. It would depend on how many other D-men are out there.

In a perfect world we'd keep all three and add one more... :mellow:

2005-06 season - any player who is 31 years of age or older and has 4 or more accrued seasons as of the end of the 2004-05 season.

2006-07 season - any player who has 8 accrued seasons OR 29 years of age or older as of June 30 of the 2005-06 season.

2007-08 season - any player who has 7 accrued seasons OR 28 years of age or older as of June 30 of the 2006-07 season.

2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11 seasons - any player who has 7 accrued seasons OR 27 years of age or older as of June 30 of the 2007-08 , 2008-09, 2009-10 season.

Now im not sure if im understanding this right

But look at the ufa for 2007-2008

It sais 28 years of age or older as of june 30 of the 2006-2007 season

Markov will be 28 this december!

So wouldnt that make him UFA for 2007-2008 season?

..... i dont know if you can say Souray has a gun to Gainey head!

He is UFA after this season and has every right to go to another team if he decides to

Gainey knows this and has known this for some time now plus he also knows and has known about the personal issues which might be a factor in his UFA decision

If, and I stress the word if, he has asked for a trade then it certainly puts Gainey in a more delicate position than if it was just the Habs seeking to trade for another player(s) straight up. And it can be noted that there are obviously certain degrees to that situation - i.e. the more public & bitter it might become then the more once-sided it becomes.

In any sitution, if an opposing manager senses a need to deal that is forced, then it becomes that much less profitable to do so. Like a company that is losing money - it is much more desperate to ease the cash flow as the situation becomes worse and worse? So far if it is true it seems minimal , but other managers will still be looking to take advantage according to the level of urgency.

The facts are that Souray is destined for free agency this year is the most crucial of these scenarios if they are at all dependant on the grounds for this rumours = bullet #1 - 4

From there one can suggest that the rest of the six bullet chamber is being loaded accordingly:

1 - supposedly is requesting a trade = bullet #5 (if true)

2 - shrewd opposition managers looking for a bargain = bullet #6 plus

If you were to divide the scenario into stages then it could be said that:

A/ if he has discreetly inquired about a trade = no real issue

B/ rumours true or not = a gun is in the house

C/ no denials = he has the gun in his hands

D/ a public statement confirming the rumours = it is being loaded

E/ demands & threats = the gun is loaded and being raised to the firing position

F/ holding out on the team = it is now pointed at your head and you are waiting for the click

So in essence, Gainey is very likely to find himself in a pickle jar no matter how this is handled - hopefully it is a big jar of yum-yums........

If, and I stress the word if, he has asked for a trade then it certainly puts Gainey in a more delicate position than if it was just the Habs seeking to trade for another player(s) straight up. And it can be noted that there are obviously certain degrees to that situation - i.e. the more public & bitter it might become then the more once-sided it becomes.

In any sitution, if an opposing manager senses a need to deal that is forced, then it becomes that much less profitable to do so. Like a company that is losing money - it is much more desperate to ease the cash flow as the situation becomes worse and worse? So far if it is true it seems minimal , but other managers will still be looking to take advantage according to the level of urgency.

The facts are that Souray is destined for free agency this year is the most crucial of these scenarios if they are at all dependant on the grounds for this rumours = bullet #1 - 4

From there one can suggest that the rest of the six bullet chamber is being loaded accordingly:

1 - supposedly is requesting a trade = bullet #5 (if true)

2 - shrewd opposition managers looking for a bargain = bullet #6 plus

If you were to divide the scenario into stages then it could be said that:

A/ if he has discreetly inquired about a trade = no real issue

B/ rumours true or not = a gun is in the house

C/ no denials = he has the gun in his hands

D/ a public statement confirming the rumours = it is being loaded

E/ demands & threats = the gun is loaded and being raised to the firing position

F/ holding out on the team = it is now pointed at your head and you are waiting for the click

So in essence, Gainey is very likely to find himself in a pickle jar no matter how this is handled - hopefully it is a big jar of yum-yums........

i really think you are making things much more complicated than what they are.

The simplicity of the siutaion is plain to see

now as how us fans see it and the way it actually is a whole nother thing.

But i can only see it as the way it is presented to me.

Souray is impending UFA

HE can play out the year and go

to a team and city that he is comfortable in

with his family situation possibly being a factor (i think it will be a big factor)

Gainey can ride it out and have him play this whole season for HABS

which Souray might not have any problem doing.

Culminating with GAiney giving Souray an offer to resign with the HABS

And hoping Souray signs .

Or Gainey can see there is a big Gamble holding on to Souray in this situation

and trying to get as much as he can at the right time.

I would think the longer Gainey holds on to him the less he will get!(if he goes this way)

i really think you are making things much more complicated than what they are.

The simplicity of the siutaion is plain to see

now as how us fans see it and the way it actually is a whole nother thing.

But i can only see it as the way it is presented to me.

Souray is impending UFA

HE can play out the year and go

to a team and city that he is comfortable in

with his family situation possibly being a factor (i think it will be a big factor)

Gainey can ride it out and have him play this whole season for HABS

which Souray might not have any problem doing.

Culminating with GAiney giving Souray an offer to resign with the HABS

And hoping Souray signs .

Or Gainey can see there is a big Gamble holding on to Souray in this situation

and trying to get as much as he can at the right time.

I would think the longer Gainey holds on to him the less he will get!(if he goes this way)

No my intention was not to make it more complicated.

As I said in one of my earlier posts, I won't believe he has asked for a trade until I see or hear proof from a legitimate source. I think that this is in the rumour stages at this point and everyone is offering opinions without any real proof. Right now I think that that at it's worst, it is just still a discreet request for a trade if possible? Personally I don't think it has reached any of the other situations yet.

Right now no one except Gainey and Souray knows the truth(except maybe somebody's hairdresser?)

Problem is that if it escalates any further, or is not denied then those scenarios will start to develop.

Too many athletes in the past have put guns to managements head, and there have been very few times that they have been able to get equal return in a deal. And the worse case scenario is losing him to free agency as good defenceman command a premium on a balanced market. A player forcing a trade does not make the market balanced - instead it becomes heavily slanted towards the buyers favour!

My intention wasn't to say that this was the case here - sorry if I mis-lead you or didn't clarify that enough.

I don't see things going that way right now, but those are an amatuer analogy of the stages that we hope won't follow in this case? I hope Souray can be resigned, or at least packaged in order to bring a fair return.

No my intention was not to make it more complicated.

As I said in one of my earlier posts, I won't believe he has asked for a trade until I see or hear proof from a legitimate source. I think that this is in the rumour stages at this point and everyone is offering opinions without any real proof. Right now I think that that at it's worst, it is just still a discreet request for a trade if possible? Personally I don't think it has reached any of the other situations yet.

Right now no one except Gainey and Souray knows the truth(except maybe somebody's hairdresser?)

Problem is that if it escalates any further, or is not denied then those scenarios will start to develop.

Too many athletes in the past have put guns to managements head, and there have been very few times that they have been able to get equal return in a deal. And the worse case scenario is losing him to free agency as good defenceman command a premium on a balanced market. A player forcing a trade does not make the market balanced - instead it becomes heavily slanted towards the buyers favour!

My intention wasn't to say that this was the case here - sorry if I mis-lead you or didn't clarify that enough.

I don't see things going that way right now, but those are an amatuer analogy of the stages that we hope won't follow in this case? I hope Souray can be resigned, or at least packaged in order to bring a fair return.

One thing i and you can say is Souray would Like to be closer to his family!

So your hope of Souray being resigned i think is a pipedream.

2 ways to go

1)He stays, plays and leaves

2)Gainey trades him

I just saw a RDS Sports30 report on a charity street hockey event Sheldon Souray and Martin Brodeur attended yesterday.

Having split his time this summer between Los Angeles and the Montreal region, Souray addressed the rumour of his requesting a trade so might be geographically closer to his daughter: "It's true and it's not true." He clarified he's perfectly happy playing in Montreal -- of course he wants to be with his daughter, but that it hasn't translated into a trade request.

Souray went on to comment on the acquisition of Samsonov, saying he's a creative player who'll fit right into the team.

A belated 30th birthday cake was presented to Shelly.

Edited by MCeh

In a Gazette article today, Souray says that all the rumours were made up and that he, his agent and Gainey have never met and confirmed any trade requests.

"Do I like it here? Absolutely."

And I think that is what he should say, not knowing if a deal can be done yet. He is smart to make those comments, because maybe Gainey told him that he would send him to the west coast but it won't be until the deadline, "so play it cool or the faithful will ride you all summer".

Of course I'm not saying this is how it went, but I think it is a possiblility. He obviously wants to be closer to his daughter, but if a trade can't get done, then he doesn't want to make his year unbearable. If he went public saying he wanted a trade he would be the Brisbois of 06-07.

One thing i and you can say is Souray would Like to be closer to his family!

So your hope of Souray being resigned i think is a pipedream.

2 ways to go

1)He stays, plays and leaves

2)Gainey trades him

Not really a pipedream as I pointed out that, if he can't be resigned then hopefully they can trade him for something of value before they end up losing him for absolutely nothing at all in return......

As it now stands, at least the rumours have been denied and it now seems the issue may have been put to bed for a while at least?

I hope he stays. I hope this is not a situation at all and the article would seem to suggest that. But, how many times in hockey have we seen "damage control" articles or media statements?

I'm worried because besides a goalie, D's don't grow on trees. Especially good ones. They can prove to be the hardest to obtain. And, No GM out there is going to flip a similarly talented D for Souray without compensation.

I hope he stays. I hope this is not a situation at all and the article would seem to suggest that. But, how many times in hockey have we seen "damage control" articles or media statements?

I'm worried because besides a goalie, D's don't grow on trees. Especially good ones. They can prove to be the hardest to obtain. And, No GM out there is going to flip a similarly talented D for Souray without compensation.

Absolutely agree with you - that's what I've been saying all along........

I just read in a gazette article from today that Sheldon hopes to be apart of the Habs long term plans and love playing in Montreal.

:hlogo:

Yes, in the above posts they're referring to said article.

Anyways, there's a good quote from Souray about how he wants to play here, and on how some players don't:

"Over the years, I think I've proven I can play here. It's not an easy place to play. Look at some of the free agents who have turned down the opportunity this summer to play here, for some of the reasons that everybody knows - the media hiding behind bushes, starting rumours. "

See post #8 in this thread ;)

I have no idea how many times Souray has to keep telling the media he likes playing in Montreal. It's known that his main concern is his daughter.

This is one of those rumours that just won't die!

Maybe it is true and if it is I hope Souray just comes out and tells the media.

Yes, the rumour won't die. It's bullet bomb-proof.

Despite Souray officially stating his intent yesterday, Code publishes this today:

The Habs have offered to send Souray to the Red Wings for Robert Lang. The Habs would like a prospect to be included. The name that has been mentioned is Hulder. The Kings have also expressed interested in Souray, and so have the Sharks.

Real reliable guy this code character...yeah right, he cant even spell Jiri Hudler's name right and he claims to have inside info on him.

You're ripping him because he made a typo?