Is Gomez Crazy?

jordy11

According to Sportsnet's Hockey Hearsay, Scott Gomez, restricted free agent for the New Jersey Devils, is believed to have asked for a 7 million one year deal in arbitration. This could put Lou Lamoriello in a really tough spot, because his payroll is now at 43.9 millions and he still has to re-sign 48 goals scorer Brian Gionta. Could any Devils' player help the Habs?

Edited by jordy11

According to Sportsnet's Hockey Hearsay, Scott Gomez, restricted free agent for the New Jersey Devils, is believed to have asked for a 7 million one year deal in arbitration. This could put Lou Lamoriello in a really tough spot, because his payroll is now at 43.9 millions and he still has to re-sign 48 goals scorer Brian Gionta. Could any Devils' player help the Habs?

IF this is true - it's a real risky strategy.

He's a great player - but he isn't the greatest player.

I would want more than Gomez for that kind of payout!

how exactly does new abritation scheme work?

I was under the impression that the arbitrator cannot go beyond the bounds between the team and player suggested salaries. In that case i guess it makes sense to go for something pretty high. If, on the other hand, the arbitrator picks between the numbers, this is downright stupid..

I thought that the arbitrator had the power to assign whatever salary he decides. It could even be below the lower offer.

Maybe that's an older system or the system from some other sport.

:king: :hlogo: :king:

Based on production and comparitive players, estimtes I've heard will have his arbitrator awarding something like $5-5.5M. No matter what the decision is, though, Lamoriello is in huge trouble. He's not got his head wrapped around the new CBA at all.

As for a Montreal link, I would doubt it. I don't think the Devs and Habs are truly compatible trading partners as of this point. I'd be far more curious to see what happens now that Legwand is signed, since he had several rumours regarding Montreal surrounding him.

he could be a good fit in montreal bt I he's on the lazy side..and if he gets the salary he wants...now way jose