Us Leagues ...?

bombTHEice

I've a question about the rest of the major US leagues (NFL, MLB and NBA).

As we all know, the HABS are the franchise with the biggest history and with the most SC's in the NHL. Always wondered which teams are compareable to the HABS in the other 3 leagues, if there are any ...?

MLB - New York Yankees or Boston Red Sox easily. Yankees have more championships while Red Sox have the more hardcore fanbase so take your pick.

NFL - Probably the Dallas Cowboy or San Francisco 49ers. Both have a lot of championships with plenty of Hall of Fame players. Steve Young, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Troy Aikman, Emmit Smith, Roger Staubach, Ronnie Lott, Y.A Tittle, Tony Dorsett. Honorable mention could go to the Packers.

NBA - I'm a little iffy on this one, not as much of a basketball fan as I am of the other 3 sports. I'm thinking it would either be the Boston Celtics or the Los Angeles Lakers.

A couple of years ago i saw a table with all teams with all sports and as i can remember only the Habs and Yankees have so many win's.

Back then it was even. But i think the Yank's have won one or 2 after that.

Edit: I looked it up in Wikipedia, and the Yankees have 26

BTW you should check out the database on the Habs, really great and it has it all i believe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Canadiens

Edited by Dutch_Habs_Fan

for NBA it has to be the Celtics. They have 16 championships and 2 relatively distinct dynastic periods. There are the Russell years (11 championships in 12 yrs) and the Bird years (3 championships). Russell was the dominant player of his era, challenged only by Wilt Chamberlain. Wilt was the solo virtuoso and played a "prettier" game to Russell's defensive dominance and grind. Although Wilt had a slight edge in many statistics, Russell's teams were always far more complete.

Bird was, along with Magic Johnson, the dominant player of his era. Until Jordan came to the NBA, the Lakers-Celtics rivalry was pre-eminent. The two teams exchanged champtionships for much of the 80's.

You can think of the 90's Bulls as the 80's Islanders or Oilers. Both owned the league for a short period, but havent been dominating before or since.

The Celtics' 16 championships are somewhat equivalent to the Habs' 24. The NBA was founded in 1946. The Celtics have won about 27% of all NBA championships. The Habs have won about 27% of all championship stanley cups.

Edited by simonus

New York Yankees - 26 World Series

Boston Celtics - 16 championships

Los Angeles Lakers 14 championships

Green Bay Packers - 12 Championships (see below)

Chicago Bears - 9 Championships (see below)

Saint Louis Cardinals - 9 World Series

Oakland A's- 9 World Series

Cleveland Browns - 8 ((see below then this (*))

NFL is a little differnt since the AFL/NFL merger the championship has been called the Super Bowl

Most 'Super Bowl' wins:

5 Dallas Cowboys

5 Pittsburgh Steelers

5 San Fransico 49ers

Now here's where it gets tricky:

From 1920- 1932 They determined the winner like they do in Europe soccer best overall record wins.

Green Bay Packers had 3 championships

New York Giants had 1 championship

Chicago Bears won 2

Then from 1933 to 1969 they determined the championship through a final game playoff

Green Bay Packers won (including pre title game) 11 titles

Cleveland Browns won 4

Chicago Bears won 8

Detroit Lions won 4

Baltimore Colts won 3

Minnesota Vikings 1

Philidelphia Eagles 3

New York Giants 4

Cleveland Rams 1 now STL Rams

Chicago Cardinals 2 now Arizona Cardinals

Washington Potatoskins 2

(*) Cleveland Browns won 4 champions playing in the AAFC during 1946-1949 the NFL doesn't recognise these wins but the Pro Football Hall of Fame does.

This probly looks very confusing, which I completely understand.