New Season Starts Today

johnnyhasbeen

How did you become an avs fan anyway? I forgot the story...

I don't think anyones ever asked me, it's kind of a stupid story anyway.

Alright, it started in Grade 3 and there were a couple of new kids in the class who were twins, Corey and Kyle. So I'll skip the boring, becoming friends stuff and jump to Kyle became my best friend. Anyway, his idol was Patrick Roy and he had a bunch of posters in his room. I'd always heard about him every now and then but nothing kind since Calgary hates him. Anyway, I was one of those friends who copied everything their other friend did and I became a huge Patrick Roy/Habs fan. I didn't really follow the Habs that much, just Patrick. Then maybe...oh..a month later he gets traded to Colorado so I start to follow him there. Only now, I find Joe Sakic and thats when I started following the whole team.

A year later in Grade 4, I'm now known as the Colorado/Patrick Roy fan instead of him. I started becoming way more hardcore throughout Grade 3. Before this obviously, I was a Flames fan but this is the very beginning of their struggles and, like any impressionable 8 year old, I don't want to cheer for a loser so it was all Colorado, all the way from then. I still follow Calgary but the team they've assembled decides whether I like them or not. Last season they lost a lot of guys I liked (Conroy, Gelinas) and added douchebags I hated (Amonte, McCarty). This year, the big addition is an offensive Avs superstar so I'm all on board to like them this year.

Anyway, the last time I saw Kyle was...June '97 and I've still been a huge Avs fan. My dad says I'm a bigger Avs fan then he is a Pats fan and he's followed them to the death for more then 30 years so thats saying something. Everyone thought I'd go back to the Flames when Roy retired but I stuck with the Avs since by then I'd grown to like other guys like Foote, Sakic, Blake (not anymore, Rob Blake is a douchebag), Hejduk. Was also a really big fan of Kamensky when I first started with the Avs.

So basically, thats my Avs fan story. Although since about '99, I've come to really like the Senators as well. Drives me Leafs fan cousin crazy, he despises Ottawa. Really couldn't care less about Montreal though.

:P Nothing is happening elsewhere, so I had to trash talk here.

I'll be kicking your HWL ass in 4-5 seasons! Bwahahaha!

I hate to say it, but it's almost happened. Being in Denver, I actually do give a rat's ass about the Avs. I know some people still think of them as the Nordiques, but that rivalry is long dead.

Regardless...Go Habs!

I hate to say it, but it's almost happened. Being in Denver, I actually do give a rat's ass about the Avs. I know some people still think of them as the Nordiques, but that rivalry is long dead.

Regardless...Go Habs!

You could be a good Avs fan! You'll tell people to shut up when they whine about Drury and tell them to shove it when they think we should retire Turgeon or Hinotes number!

Does that make you a closet leaf fan or a childhood leaf fan that grew up?

BJ was good, but can't be compared to any of the Habs defencemen of the 70's.

I don't think he would have made the team.

But yeah, Toronto should retire his number as he is all they have had since the 60's, unless you believe Vaive was something to brag about. Sittler? ok. Ellis, bum, McDonald, nice 'stach low talent. Oh yeah, Keon was good, but I call him 60's.

No not at all.

When I started to watch Salmin he played in Detroit and later signed with my favourite club in Sweden, AIK.

I think Salming was the greatest. I think Leafs fans thinks that as well and of course Salming would have made the Habs in the 70's. An older version of Vladimir Kostantinov.

Man, that was bullshit.

:angry:

Ya, Colorado completely dominate for 2 periods and end up loosing in overtime. Sucky way to loose a precious point in the standings

But man, Sakic rocked tonight.

Yeah, as soon as I saw Turco rear back for the pass, I knew we were done for. Anyway, my game notes for those who care (no one) are:

- Theodore looked amazing. I just gushed about him in another topic but he really kept us in the game when Dallas was all over us in the third.

-Svatos was playing really physical which surprised me, looks like he really wants to prove to the team that he isn't fragile.

-We started with the Young 'un like (Wolski-Stastny-Svatos) right off the bat. I'd been wondering how good this line would be in the future for the past week, I'm glad I get to see it so soon. They all played really well together, showed some good chemistry.

-Quenneville broke up the Skrats-Clark pairing which was probably our best last year and stuck Skrastins with Klee. Really liked how they worked together, I was impressed with how Klee played.

-Our top line was our top line, Hejduk played with a lot of energy. Didn't look nearly as lazy as he played last year (especially when he cleared that Halpern chance, you will rarely see him sacrifice himself like that). Makes me glad we've got Hejduk here long-term, atleast one player is loyal to the organization.

-And because I didn't say it enough during the off-season...F*** YOU ROB BLAKE

F*** YOU!