Rivet

Cataclaw

D-men have it harder than forwards. If you make a mistake as a forward, you just might miss a scoring chance, but make a mistake on D, and the puck could be at centre ice waiting for a faceoff.

I just think it's crazy to see these threads already.

CRAZY!

To be honest, saturday night...Markov played like crap, so should we send him packing?

I'll admit that Rivet usually has me cursing a game more then any other player...guys routinely beat Rivet down the side boards, get behind him and still have loads of room to cut to the front of the net. That is inexcuseable IMO.

It's not even that I want Rivet traded...though he is overpaid. I want to see his role diminished and his ice time cut back. Of course the problem here is that he's overpaid and we don't have much better to put on the ice...really, this is a similar problem we had with Brisebois...a decent d-man in the wrong role.

JMHO.

I'll admit that Rivet usually has me cursing a game more then any other player...guys routinely beat Rivet down the side boards, get behind him and still have loads of room to cut to the front of the net. That is inexcuseable IMO.

It's not even that I want Rivet traded...though he is overpaid. I want to see his role diminished and his ice time cut back. Of course the problem here is that he's overpaid and we don't have much better to put on the ice...really, this is a similar problem we had with Brisebois...a decent d-man in the wrong role.

JMHO.

everone is good at saying we should cut players but who do they suggest we get to replace them?

everone is good at saying we should cut players but who do they suggest we get to replace them?

I really do not understand this anger at Rivet, he is a good defenseman, not a great one, but he would be picked up by a number of other teams if Montreal wanted to trade him. Not a number 1 or 2 defenseman but definitely worthy of 3 or 4.

As I said, I don't want to see him traded...I want to see his role, and minutes, diminished.

The reason people get angry at Rivet is because he's thrust into a prime role and shown as a key part of our defence when he only has the talent and skill set of a quality depth guy...a good #4-#5. The anger is misplaced and should be re-directed at the organization...this is the same thing that was happening to Brisebois.

Also, it's not like the organization doesn't have the assets to acquire a good d-man. We have MANY propsects of varying quality levels and stages of development. We've got 4+ forwards who are almost NHL ready, quality prospects. We've got 3-4 more quality prospects in junior. Not to mention a 1 and 1A situation in goal with multiple good prospects there(Danis is ready, Halak almost and Price very soon too).

With all of that combined with our current roster we could certainly find an upgrade as needed...yeah, I know it's easier said then done and you have to find a trade partner...blah, blah, blah...that's what Gainey is paid to know and do.

...yeah, I know it's easier said then done and you have to find a trade partner...blah, blah, blah...that's what Gainey is paid to know and do.

Well Gainey proved its not impossible. I was absolutley shocked when he dumped Ribeiro for Niinima. I can't believe Dallas traded a half decent defensman for Ribeiro, especially when they seem to be fairly deep at centre with Modano, Halpern, Lindros, Barnes and former Bulldog Steve Ott.

But, getting a top 4 defensman is a tougher (impossible??) task, without giving up the farm

Well Gainey proved its not impossible. I was absolutley shocked when he dumped Ribeiro for Niinima. I can't believe Dallas traded a half decent defensman for Ribeiro, especially when they seem to be fairly deep at centre with Modano, Halpern, Lindros, Barnes and former Bulldog Steve Ott.

But, getting a top 4 defensman is a tougher (impossible??) task, without giving up the farm

we definitly got the better deal their.

Rivet is not overpaid. Had he tested the free agent market when we signed him(he was UFA), he probably would have gotten more money elsewhere then the 2.something we signed him at. And he still would get more money elsewhere.

lets face it their all overpaid.

Rivet is not overpaid. Had he tested the free agent market when we signed him(he was UFA), he probably would have gotten more money elsewhere then the 2.something we signed him at. And he still would get more money elsewhere.

He will have to take a similar amount if he is going to be resigned again this offseason.

Rivet is a rock there is no doubt but his play is declining he has only missed 2 games in the last 4 seasons.

He will have to take a similar amount if he is going to be resigned again this offseason.

Rivet is a rock there is no doubt but his play is declining he has only missed 2 games in the last 4 seasons.

:o wow thats amazing 2 games? he's dedicated ill give him that.