Rivet

Cataclaw

I'm posting this as a sort of sister-thread to the "Souray" topic.

Rivet has also been getting a lot of heat lately with talk of "overpaid" and "get rid of him".

For crying out loud, the season is 2 games young. Yes he's been demonstrating a lot of brain freeze lately and some sloppy play, but don't condemn the man to death just yet! It's been two games!

Also, i'd just like to point out the following statistic:

2002-03 season: 82 games played, 22 pts

2004-05 season: 80 games played, 12 pts

2005-06 season: 82 games played, 34 pts

Stats don't always tell the full story, but i think in this case they at least tell part of it:

Rivet's 05-06 production was the same as his production for 02-03 and 04-05 combined.

Rivet @ NHL.com

I love this guy. He's got heart, he's got leadership and he's usually quite reliable. Yeah a few slip-ups so far, but again, the season's young!

I love this guy. He's got heart, he's got leadership and he's usually quite reliable. Yeah a few slip-ups so far, but again, the season's young!

All true except mayber for the reliable part. Rivet isnt as much a pylon as Souray so his mistakes are never as glaring, but they still tend to pop up in his game on a regular basis. Its like he has a quota of mistakes he must make in a month. If he spends it all in a couple of games, you know he'll be alright for the rest of the month... but vice versa if he's been alright for some time, you know he's due for a bonehead play.

I dont really think he needs to be traded... just needs his ice-time to be kept reasonable, NOT be used on the PP and NOT be paired with Souray.

Its like he has a quota of mistakes he must make in a month. If he spends it all in a couple of games, you know he'll be alright for the rest of the month...

lol :P

Well put.

The-Happy2919: Woops, 04-05 is actually 03-04, since 04-05 was the lockout year.

lol :P

Well put.

The-Happy2919: Woops, 04-05 is actually 03-04, since 04-05 was the lockout year.

Whoops.. I shouldve realized that.. my bad too.

:hlogo:

Rivet is alright...no one is perfect and every D in the league makes mistakes. Only problem I have with Rivet is his contract...too much money for a guy of his caliber. You know though, if he tests the free agent market he's going to get even more so if Montreal is going to keep him they need to be prepared for that...as weird as it seems.

Rivet is alright...no one is perfect and every D in the league makes mistakes. Only problem I have with Rivet is his contract...too much money for a guy of his caliber. You know though, if he tests the free agent market he's going to get even more so if Montreal is going to keep him they need to be prepared for that...as weird as it seems.

you seem to think evryone is overpaid mate. does your employer think your overpaid? to be fair all sports stars these days are overpaid- if your so bothered dont go and watch em so then they have no wages. :hockey:

I dont really think he needs to be traded... just needs his ice-time to be kept reasonable, NOT be used on the PP and NOT be paired with Souray.

Rivet is solid, don't want to see him leave any time soon. As you guys said, don't pair him with Souray, give both guys a more versatile, faster d partner.

Rivet is solid, don't want to see him leave any time soon. As you guys said, don't pair him with Souray, give both guys a more versatile, faster d partner.

spot on :bow:

Yes, it's not time to throw Rivet and Souray under the bus just yet, it is early in the season. That being said they both played poorly defensively last year.

Yes they both had big offensive years, however the majority of points by both is on the power play. Which is fine but 5 on 5 and short handed there games are not up to par in any zone.

The leadership is one i have to make a point on, the only real leader this team has is #11. When he goes down, the team loses period. If Rivet and Souray are great leaders, don't you think they would step up, help win games, call people out, etc, when 11 is out. It's fine to say the right things but another to lead by example, neither Rivet or Souray does that.

I would guess Rivet will have an average year 25 points or in that range. If he wishes to stay in Montreal which I believe he does he will take a similar contract otherwise it may be time for both parties to part ways!

I would guess Rivet will have an average year 25 points or in that range. If he wishes to stay in Montreal which I believe he does he will take a similar contract otherwise it may be time for both parties to part ways!

who would we get to replace him though?

Both Rivet and Souray will remain in Montreal till atleast the trade deadline.

Rivet will probably remain till the end of the year and either sign back for less money, or move on to another team that will pay him big bucks somewhere else.

Souray will probably demand big dollars over a long term contract. Somelike what McCabre or Kaberle signed in Toronto....4 or 5 years, $20 to $28 Million. Is he worth it? No. But that won't stop some GM from looking at his big shot that he brings to the powerplay which is soooooo very important in todays NHL.

Defensively he is a bit below average. Offensively he'll give you 15 goals and 40 points.

So if Gainey can't get a loyalty dicount out of him, he sound be dealt at the trade deadline when his value should be at its highest.

But really I don't see either back in Montreal next year. Maybe O'Bryne and another AHL'er will be able to step up and fill the void.

As well they'll need cap room to re-sign Markov, Komisarek and some of the other younger kids who have a future in Montreal

I think Rivet is a great leader and I have always advocated on his behalf and I think he is valuable in that regard. But in the first 2 games this year I believe he was been our worst Dman. Brain freeze is a good way of describing what is happening to him, when going in and chasing a puck instead of raping it aroudn the boards he stops and holds it there until the other team takes it from him. His reactions seem very slow.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if this is rivet or a result of playing with Sourray. I remember last year I thought Komi was crap and this was while he was playing with Sourray, switched to Markov and he was awesome. Dandenault couldn't do anything right playing with Sourray and he was under heat until switched to Bouillon. Now it's Rivet's turn. Sourray is like the black hole for Dmen

I think Rivet is a great leader and I have always advocated on his behalf and I think he is valuable in that regard. But in the first 2 games this year I believe he was been our worst Dman. Brain freeze is a good way of describing what is happening to him, when going in and chasing a puck instead of raping it aroudn the boards he stops and holds it there until the other team takes it from him. His reactions seem very slow.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if this is rivet or a result of playing with Sourray. I remember last year I thought Komi was crap and this was while he was playing with Sourray, switched to Markov and he was awesome. Dandenault couldn't do anything right playing with Sourray and he was under heat until switched to Bouillon. Now it's Rivet's turn. Sourray is like the black hole for Dmen

more like the bermuda triangle- he swallows d men- just hpe he dont swallow c men too :puke:

Both Rivet and Souray will remain in Montreal till atleast the trade deadline.

Rivet will probably remain till the end of the year and either sign back for less money, or move on to another team that will pay him big bucks somewhere else.

Souray will probably demand big dollars over a long term contract. Somelike what McCabre or Kaberle signed in Toronto....4 or 5 years, $20 to $28 Million. Is he worth it? No. But that won't stop some GM from looking at his big shot that he brings to the powerplay which is soooooo very important in todays NHL.

Defensively he is a bit below average. Offensively he'll give you 15 goals and 40 points.

So if Gainey can't get a loyalty dicount out of him, he sound be dealt at the trade deadline when his value should be at its highest.

But really I don't see either back in Montreal next year. Maybe O'Bryne and another AHL'er will be able to step up and fill the void.

As well they'll need cap room to re-sign Markov, Komisarek and some of the other younger kids who have a future in Montreal

I agree completely on your assesment of Souray - bang on.

I think Rivet will be back. He is a reliable and for the most part steady. I agree with your point about cash being the main factor here. Will he stay in Montreal for less money or is he looking for gold? (he will find gold somewhere else)

If every defenseman was 100% reliable and perfect .. nobody would ever score ! ALL defenseman make mistakes ... all that matters is if they can improve and learn from those mistakes.

:king: :wacko: true but those silly mistakes could mean a playoff birth.

:king: :wacko: true but those silly mistakes could mean a playoff birth.

Agreed ... hopefully all the Habs D-men can get to mistake free as possible sooner rather than later. :D If not and the say the habs don't make the playoff ( but that won't happen ! :) ) then Rivet and Souray are as good as gone.

you seem to think evryone is overpaid mate. does your employer think your overpaid? to be fair all sports stars these days are overpaid- if your so bothered dont go and watch em so then they have no wages. :hockey:

Wow can you feel the love :blush:

I mean he is overpaid by NHL standards for wahat he does. In case you didn't notice I was actually defending the guy :lol:

I picture Sourey as our Mcabe and would rather Sourey at 2.5 than Mcabe at what is it 6mill? Mcabe is not twice the player Sourey is, wont double his points this year and will have a worse +/- . Sourey is equally as scary on PP that is why he is always covered, leaving someone free.

We are 3/4points against 2 division rivals, stop complaining. It could and probably will be worse. We will however make the playoffs, higher than most people think.

In Bob We Trust

I thought Rivet looked a half-step too slow last season....looks like it's the same case this season. He'll look decent against larger, slower teams, and bad against fast teams consistently most likely.

I'm one of those guys that hates Rivet.

Sure maybe he's a good leader, but that's only going to take you so far. When Tampa won the cup, the only leader on that team was Andrechuck. We don't a plethora of leaders, just one good one. I'm pretty sure Koivu, Sourray and some day guys like Higgins and bouillion can pick up the slack.

Look at team Canada. They had like almost 10 team capitains on that team and they finished out of the medals.

I'm one of those guys that hates Rivet.

Sure maybe he's a good leader, but that's only going to take you so far. When Tampa won the cup, the only leader on that team was Andrechuck. We don't a plethora of leaders, just one good one. I'm pretty sure Koivu, Sourray and some day guys like Higgins and bouillion can pick up the slack.

Look at team Canada. They had like almost 10 team capitains on that team and they finished out of the medals.

WHAT? Tampa had Richards to lead them. I also disagree about the cube. He won't be around in 3 yrs. He might not even make it past the trade deadline of this season.