Movies

habs_in_the_blood

I've got a 6 hour break on Tuesdays and I'm right across from the AMC. Right now, it's awful but in December, I'll have a chance to watch a lot of good movies.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw the new Star Wars over the weekend and it was quite enjoyable. I am definitely looking forward to the series.

I look forward to the series, but I was certainly unimpressed with the movie. Of all the rich history they could have put on the big screen, they went with the reason why the Republic can traverse Hutt territory? Plus, that padawan annoyed the hell out of me.

I won't even mention the flamboyant Hutt. :blink:

But hey, throw lightsabers into a movie and I'm there.

I look forward to the series, but I was certainly unimpressed with the movie. Of all the rich history they could have put on the big screen, they went with the reason why the Republic can traverse Hutt territory? Plus, that padawan annoyed the hell out of me.

I won't even mention the flamboyant Hutt. :blink:

But hey, throw lightsabers into a movie and I'm there.

Yeah, Jabba's uncle was a terrible character. The thing to remember about the movie, though, is that it wasn't intended to be a theatrical release, it was just Lucas getting more money out of us. Looking at it as a pilot for the series puts it in better perspective.

Saw Live Free or Die Hard. Surprising. I have to rank it in 2nd position tied with Die Hard: With a Vengeance (#1 remains the first one...).

also Warner Bros. sues over "Hari Puttar" film

There is absolutely nothing to link 'Hari Puttar' with 'Harry Potter,"' said Munish Purii, chief executive officer of Mumbai-based producer Mirchi Movies.

:lol:

Oh thank god those rumors are untrue

Cher Won't Be Playing Catwoman

I would've been seriously pissed off if that happened. If they want Catwoman, Jolie is an excellent way to go. I like the Kristen Bell as Harley Quinn rumor too but she doesn't work by herself, she'd need The Joker and that should not happen again. Not in Nolan's movies anyway.

Looks like they're probably going to go ahead with Johnny Depp as Riddler. I'd prefer Crispin Glover or David Tennant though. Or even Jim Carrey coming back.

For the hell of it, heres a couple fan mock-ups.

David Tennant as The Riddler: riddler.jpg

Kristen Bell as Harley Quinn: harley.jpg

And a better look at Kristen Bell: kristenbell-2.jpg

The same guy did a few other mocks for Batman 3 including Anne Hathaway as Batgirl (Batgirl won't happen, she's still only like...9 or 10 by the looks of it. Plus Nolan refuses to actually point the character out, he had plenty of opportunities at the end of TDK) and also Marion Cotillard as Catwoman. I'd post that one but you can't really get a good look at it. Good choice though.

Johnny Depp as Riddler

:clap:

He's already typecasted for all of these "weird" parts but I still want to see him in them. I can't see anyone else making a better Riddler - though now that I think about it, DDL might be perfect if he was a few years younger. Would be a new thing for him.

As much as I like him, DDL would be a terrible Riddler. He doesn't have the right look at all (although he would be able to pull off Clayface really well). And The Riddler doesn't really count as a weird part, not compared to Depp's work anyway. Obviously he has an OCD over riddles but he's one of the more straight-laced villains in Batman along with Penguin. Hell, Riddler is a good guy right now.

What about New Jack City (just found out about this old movie) ? it is rated 6.2/10 on imdb, but comments posted all say it should be higher...

I haven't seen it myself, I was only guessing blindly at the movie trivia.

I know Doktor_Kosmos liked it.

I saw the original Scarface in class today. Great movie. Better than the De Palma remake. And.... I'm now in middle of watching Charlie Chaplin's The Gold Rush.

What about New Jack City (just found out about this old movie) ? it is rated 6.2/10 on imdb, but comments posted all say it should be higher...

New Jack was very good, but it is dated now in comparison, and that's something to remember before or while watching it

Also the guy that does the deep voice for movie trailers died today (sad that I don't even know his name)

New Jack was very good, but it is dated now in comparison, and that's something to remember before or while watching it

Also the guy that does the deep voice for movie trailers died today (sad that I don't even know his name)

It was noted in the Nothing thread, his name was Don LaFontaine.

Came home today to find out theres a Screener for The Dark Knight. Needless to say I'm pretty happy.

Just saw an old but very good film : Total Recall

***ed up story that grabs your interest and lot of very good action scenes. I was captivated from beggining to end. Now thats an action movie!

Funnyly too, I got this only because it was on a double feature disc with Terminator 2, and I liked this one better than T2 haha.

Edited by Jean

New Jack City has a certain cult reputation in Sweden, and yes, I do like it. Hardly the best movie ever made, but decent at least.

Kosmos have you seen Chaplin's The Gold Rush. Seemed awfully dated to me, I found it very boring even compared to his other movies I've seen.

I saw I'm A Big Boy Now by Francis Ford Coppola, I really liked it yet it seems to be relatively obscure. FFC made it at 27 and it's totally different from any of his other work I've seen yet I think I like it more than all the rest I've seen of him (The Godfathers, Apocalypse Now, The Conversation). The camerawork really stands out for me, the way it has in only a few movies.

A Patch of Blue: with Sidney Poitier, Shelley Winters and Elizabeth Hartman. This is a great classic movie about a blind girl with a cruel and racist mom who befriends a black man she meets in the park. Of course, she has no idea he's black.

I may watch How Green Was My Valley tonight.

Watching The Gold Rush was hard work for me. I too thought it was dated and not as amusing as some of Chaplin's other work (what I've seen of it that is). The Great Dictator is my favourite and Modern Times certainly had its moments. I also liked The Kid.

I really loved How green was my valley, but if you're not into nostalgic movies about a long-lost childhood, this movie is not for you.

Watching The Gold Rush was hard work for me. I too thought it was dated and not as amusing as some of Chaplin's other work (what I've seen of it that is). The Great Dictator is my favourite and Modern Times certainly had its moments. I also liked The Kid.

I really loved How green was my valley, but if you're not into nostalgic movies about a long-lost childhood, this movie is not for you.

Of the ones I've seen my order goes Modern Times --> City Lights --> The Gold Rush. The Gold Rush had it's moments - basically, the beginning and the end, for me - but just dragged on and on as well as playing the same bit of music on repeat for the entire film.

I definitely have access to the Kid and HGWMV so I'll see them soon but I'm not sure about The Great Dictator, I might have to rent it. I decided to go with The Treasure of Sierra Madre instead of HGWMV.

I definitely have access to the Kid and HGWMV so I'll see them soon but I'm not sure about The Great Dictator, I might have to rent it. I decided to go with The Treasure of Sierra Madre instead of HGWMV.

A solid choice. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is seriously one of the best movies I have ever seen.

Watched Goldfinger for the first time last weekend. Gotta like when Bond slap that girl's ass ! This is so "coming from nowhere" i just rewinded it 2-3 times and was lmao.

A solid choice. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre is seriously one of the best movies I have ever seen.

Very good. It's not hard to see the similarities between this and TWBB (PT Anderson watched this movie over and over again while filming his movie). I wouldn't call it one of my favourite movies but an interesting story - or I should say the story itself is nothing extraordinary but the characters and themes make it interesting. Dobbs slowly gets crazier, greedier and more paranoid and the ideas and morals are so accessible and easy to see. You don't have to analyze it for hours to understand what John Huston wanted to say.

I saw A Fish Called Wanda, a John Cleese movie. A bit more serious than you'd think, I liked it and would watch it again but it is neither a classic nor one of the best works of Monty Python so I wouldn't really recommend it to people.

And finally, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. The structure reminded me very much of It's A Wonderful Life but I didn't like this as much, probably because it's based on a political story and politics mostly bore me. I was expecting more from this but it's still worth watching, especially for the ending. And of course, Jimmy Stewart's one of my favourite actors so I like to see anything by him.

(I'm gonna start putting titles in italics the way you do, it comes out much better that way.)

Watched Goldfinger for the first time last weekend. Gotta like when Bond slap that girl's ass ! This is so "coming from nowhere" i just rewinded it 2-3 times and was lmao.

Oh god, I love when they gas Fort Knox and all the "guards" fall over. Most of them slowly fall to their knees and crawl forward for a while before being knocked out.

It reminds me of the old Batman movie based on the corny 60s TV show. All the villains are in an elevator and when it opens, The Penguin shoots out some knockout gas to knock all of the guards out and then they close the door so it doesn't get to them. Then the door re-opens and they walk out. Except the "knockout gas" is still everywhere yet they're just walking around like nothing is wrong.

Reminds me, MTV got some notable DC writers together to discuss who should be in the next Batman movie.

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/08/05/who-s...iters-weigh-in/

F*cking love the Calendar Man suggestion, that would be hilarious. Also agreed fully with Sale, if they go with Catwoman then they need to ignore Frank Miller's version. It didn't work at all.