Movies

habs_in_the_blood

9 more sleeps until Watchmen!

Also after reports last month saying Sam Jackson priced himself out of Marvel's range, it was announced today he signed a deal for NINE movies. NINE! That means Nick Fury will be in everything from Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America, The Avengers and any sequels those movies get. Hell, they could just do a Nick Fury movie. Awesome news for comic book fans, no one else should play Fury.

http://www.coronacomingattractions.com/new...e-marvel-movies

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the new Indy movie today. Kinda meh. I thought there were a few moments that gave me the same feeling the original trilogy did, but there were too many moments that were not like that. And the ending? WTF??? George Lucas, please die now, please. And God, please stop this bunch from making more Indy movies. If they really cared about the Indy fans they'd left it alone and never made this movie. I don't think it sucked that bad, but it certainly didn't measure up.

Throne of Blood - Akira Kurosawa

Chungking Express - Wong Kar Wai

Mystic River - Clint Eastwood

Waiting for Guffman - Christopher Guest

Man Bites Dog - Rémy Belveaux, André Bonzel & Benoit Poelvoord

The Earrings of Madame de... - Max Ophuls

Port of Call - Ingmar Bergman

Kramer vs Kramer - Robert Benton

The Story of Adele H. - François Truffaut

The Butcher - Claude Chabrol

The Match Factory Girl - Aki Kaurismaki

:clap:

It was way better then Temple of Doom.

Way, way better.

Agreed. Plus, the new one suffered from the same thing the new Star Wars trilogy did. It's impossible to live up to those standards, so people tend to view them as even more inferior than they really were. I think both the new trilogy and the new Indy would have been received better by people if they didn't have such historic titles attached to them.

Agreed. Plus, the new one suffered from the same thing the new Star Wars trilogy did. It's impossible to live up to those standards, so people tend to view them as even more inferior than they really were. I think both the new trilogy and the new Indy would have been received better by people if they didn't have such historic titles attached to them.

Jar Jar Binks.

Your rebuttal?

Jar Jar Binks.

Your rebuttal?

Never bothered me. The bumbling battle droids annoyed me more than Jar Jar did.

As pure action films, all three of the new ones were good. Episode I you had the pod races and the Darth Maul fight. Episode II had the high speed chase, fight with Jango Fett, and the arena battle. Episode 3 had the initial battle scene, the fight with Grevious, and the battle of the heroes. The difference between the new and old trilogy was the storytelling. The action of the new movies just didn't carry the story as well as the originals. Lucas simply got carried away with all the cool new stuff he could do with technology to create stories as good as the original. You can get away with that as a summer blockbuster movie, but not when you have a standard to live up to.

Never bothered me. The bumbling battle droids annoyed me more than Jar Jar did.

As pure action films, all three of the new ones were good. Episode I you had the pod races and the Darth Maul fight. Episode II had the high speed chase, fight with Jango Fett, and the arena battle. Episode 3 had the initial battle scene, the fight with Grevious, and the battle of the heroes. The difference between the new and old trilogy was the storytelling. The action of the new movies just didn't carry the story as well as the originals. Lucas simply got carried away with all the cool new stuff he could do with technology to create stories as good as the original. You can get away with that as a summer blockbuster movie, but not when you have a standard to live up to.

"I wish I could just wish away all my feelings..."

Jar Jar Binks.

Your rebuttal?

Mine would be:

"I hate sand. It's rough and gets everywhere. Not like you. You're soft and smooth."

Your rebuttal?

"I wish I could just wish away all my feelings..."
"I hate sand. It's rough and gets everywhere. Not like you. You're soft and smooth."

I won't deny the dialogue was terrible in spots. In a way, though, both lines are perfect for Anakin's character development. He becomes a tool, and both quotes make him sound like one. :lol:

The problem, at least the way I look at it, is I think Spielberg and Lucas were in a kind of "in my heart I know this is going to be less than great but I can't help myself so I'll sell out again" mode. Listening to what they had to say on the bonus material on the DVD, after they saw Independence Day they just couldn't resist involving aliens in the movie. That was the biggest mistake IMO. The Nazis turning into communists I can deal with, but one thing that I liked about Raiders.... and ...The Last Crusade was that the plot revolved around Christian mythology. I'm not religious but that tone still struck a chord in me. That's one of the reasons I don't think as highly of Temple of Doom, it deals with other myths.

The Ark and the Holy Grail > aliens and sacred Hindu stones.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Rachel Getting Married - Johnathan Demme (this is the movie of the year IMO)

Eastern Promises - David Cronenberg

Videodrome - David Cronenberg

My Dinner With Andre - Louis Malle

Slumdog Millionaire - Danny Boyle

Frost/Nixon - Ron Howard

Michael Clayton - Tony Gilroy

FSM's hilarious, RGM's awesome; like I said, it's the best movie I've seen this year, and Cronenberg's messed up! Eastern Promises might not be an instant classic but it features what is now my favourite fight scene ever.

EDIT: I just watched Gran Torino. The first half was the worst shit I've ever seen on film. Literally. It's well-directed which makes it better than garbage like Fantastic Four but I actually prefer FF because it doesn't take itself so seriously. The dialogue in the above-mentioned New Star Wars Trilogy looks good compared to this. Anyway, the second half was better although the direction of the movie totally shifted (albeit for the better). It went from being a movie about racism to a movie about an old, grumpy man finding love and making friends with a soft kid (because we haven't seen it already, but done properly in Scent of a Woman...). Overall, still junk but at least I got to see Clint Eastwood yell at some kids. "Good day... pusscake." :lol: There were some hilarious lines in this and this one was an instant favourite.

Edited by BTH

Rachel was at the top of my favorites out of this years Oscar bunch too. Winslet's win was obvious but I ended up picking Hathaway anyway just because I loved the movie so much.

Gran Torino was awesome just because you get to watch grumpy Clint Eastwood deliver some hilariously offensive lines.

I thought Eastern Promises was the shit, it made my top 10 list for 2007. Viggo rocked it in that movie.

Rachel was at the top of my favorites out of this years Oscar bunch too. Winslet's win was obvious but I ended up picking Hathaway anyway just because I loved the movie so much.

Gran Torino was awesome just because you get to watch grumpy Clint Eastwood deliver some hilariously offensive lines.

I thought Eastern Promises was the shit, it made my top 10 list for 2007. Viggo rocked it in that movie.

I have The Reader on DVD too so I'm going to watch it soon. I don't expect her performance to top Hathaway's but I still support the win because Winslet's had it coming for so long. Oh yeah, Colin: since you said, you thought Anne Hathaway sucked in The Devil Wears Prada, she's amazing in this movie.

If all you want from GT is to see Eastwood doing cool stuff, then maybe I can understand it being "awesome." But the dialogue, acting and stuff was just so bad, I could hardly believe the movie wasn't a comedy for the first hour. I liked all the parts where Eastwood trash talks those kids though. "I'm going to shoot you in the face and then I'm going to sleep like a baby."

All I really loved from Eastern Promises was that one scene. Not that the rest is bad, it's just that that one fight was so cool it drowns out the rest. I saw Videodrome by the same director and liked it more - 10x more violent, 10x more messed up, 10x more psychological... but movies like that always grew on you, the more you think about them.

Oh, and since my last post, I've seen The Last King of Scotland. :P Solid movie. Forest Whitaker is the shit. An Oscar well-deserved.

I thought Kate had better performances in the past but she was good in The Reader. Not better then Anne but like you said, it was one of those awards the Academy gives out because it takes so long, like Scorcese (The Departed was good but he should've won before that. Namely, Goodfellas).

Yeah, the acting in Torino was terrible outside of Clint. But watching him be a ######ed bigot was good enough for me, I was laughing the entire movie. You're quote was a little more severe, he actually says "I'm gonna blow a hole in your face and then sleep like a baby" :lol:

Edited by jetsniper

Watched Goodfellas for the first time. I always "hated" Ray Liotta, but he was good in there.

Forget about it.

It's gotta be one of the best mob movies ever.

Forget about it.

It's gotta be one of the best mob movies ever.

Oh yeah, this is really one of the best mob movies ever, maybe top 2 with Godfather part 2.

I haven't seen any of the Godfather movies in a long time. I think it's a case of a movie I've watched one time too many. I'll probably watch 'em again some time in the future, but not in the near future.

Once Upon A Time In America is my favourite mob movie, but then again I am a huge Sergio Leone/Ennio Morricone fan.

Nice to see some Goodfellas respect, one of my all-time favorites. :clap:

Today is finally the day, my friend is treating me to an early birthday present and taking me to see Watchmen tonight. I've heard mixed things from fans, apparently you appreciate it more if you've read the series. I read Watchmen when I was 10, it blew my mind and is the reason I wanted to be a writer so my standards are kind of high going in. My fingers are crossed I don't walk out dissapointed.