Downey Out Indefinitely With Concussion

KoZed

Since Downey's out, I'm guessing Murray will replace him in the lineup. Though now the Habs can call up someone from the AHL.

Chipchura's having a nice start with 4 assists in 3 games, but calling him up so he can sit in the pressbox wont help his development much. If they call him up for a long period of time, they need to use him. Same could apply to Kostitsyn. Really no benefits from having Kosty up if he's to sit in the pressbox or be stuck playing on a checking line. He also only has 1 assist in 3 games, not really deserving of a call-up.

If the Habs call someone deserving to sit him in the stands just as an insurance policy, I dont see anyone else but Lapierre or Ferland, who won't lose much development time if they sit in the stands for some games; or who can hold their own if for some reason they have to dress for a game. Not the ideal though.

good point kozed (about pressbox thing)

i think ferland could join the big team, he already had a few games experience in the NHL... but it will also depend on how murray is going show up in the next few games... since hamilton / montreal is not too far, i think we will only call a player up when we will really need someone to fill the lineup, or if murray is really going no where...

good point kozed (about pressbox thing)

i think ferland could join the big team, he already had a few games experience in the NHL... but it will also depend on how murray is going show up in the next few games... since hamilton / montreal is not too far, i think we will only call a player up when we will really need someone to fill the lineup, or if murray is really going no where...

Yeah, but if you've got a couple of road games, you need to bring someone along with you. Since Downey's out for a long time, if you're calling up someone might as well have him around all the time for training and stuff.

Chipchura's having a nice start with 4 assists in 3 games, but calling him up so he can sit in the pressbox wont help his development much.

Hey, KoZ how about thinking about it this way -- if Chipchura stays with the big team for a week or two, he will be training and practicing with them, traveling with them, eating with them, hanging with them et cetera -- maybe that doesn't help the development of his on-ice game, but it gives him some valuable personal experience with the club. As he is the guy many expect to emerge as a future leader on the Habs, even if he doesn't get into any games there could be an indirect benefit to having him close to the squad for awhile. :hockey:

Hey, KoZ how about thinking about it this way -- if Chipchura stays with the big team for a week or two, he will be training and practicing with them, traveling with them, eating with them, hanging with them et cetera -- maybe that doesn't help the development of his on-ice game, but it gives him some valuable personal experience with the club. As he is the guy many expect to emerge as a future leader on the Habs, even if he doesn't get into any games there could be an indirect benefit to having him close to the squad for awhile. :hockey:

True, I thought about that... but since this looks like a long term deal, I guess it'd be better for Chip to actually play games in the AHL. Dont forget he's only played like 8 games in the pros at the end of last season. With kids that age, on-ice time is the best thing you can give them. Getting a rub from the NHL life is secondary. That's why I'd think someone who already has a lot of pro games under his belt would be a better call up. Unless, like I said, you call up Chipper and use him.

I'm sure I'll be proven wrong, but I don't think the Habs call up anyone. Personally, I don't think it's contigent on how Murray is playing, I think if Latendresse really starts to struggle the Habs will call someone up to give him a breather. And by that, I mean probably Ferland or Lapierre.

A little off topic: It's funny the difference between the TSN edits, and what was in the Gazette article. In the Gazette, Regehr is quoted as saying "I'm pretty sure it (the hit) was clean." TSN removed the "I'm pretty sure" to just have Regehr quoted as saying "It was clean". I love the media!

Yeah, but if you've got a couple of road games, you need to bring someone along with you. Since Downey's out for a long time, if you're calling up someone might as well have him around all the time for training and stuff.

as for the rest of october :

mtl @ chicago

colorado @ mtl

buffalo @ mtl

mtl @ boston

toronto @ mtl

ottawa @ mtl

so it's more games @ home... maybe we'll call someone up by november or when we'll know better for how long downey is going to be out... else... murray could do the job... of course, he didnt have good games at the beg. of the season... but he could surprise us from tonite's on...

let's see :)

Ferland cleared waivers going down this Fall but may be lost if we bring him up. Chips needs ice time. So I say Lapierre will get the call.

WEEEEEEEEEEPS!! so true!!! i forgot about the waiver thing :S

LAPIERRE!! LAPIERRE!!! :blush:

Oh, and it was a clean hit.

I didn't say it wasn't, I just thought it was funny how TSN edited his comment. Had the other Flames player, who was leading with his elbow, got him, then it wouldn't have been clean. Regehr came in and clocked him.

Ferland cleared waivers going down this Fall but may be lost if we bring him up. Chips needs ice time. So I say Lapierre will get the call.

Oops, forgot the waiver thing...

Hmm, I guess its Lapierre then... or Ajay Baines... :P

But like Huzer said, its still probable that the Habs dont call up anyone. They haven't called up anyone with Dandy out.

I didn't say it wasn't, I just thought it was funny how TSN edited his comment. Had the other Flames player, who was leading with his elbow, got him, then it wouldn't have been clean. Regehr came in and clocked him.

or did the Gazette edit theirs?

they removed call-up waivers during the offseason.

What does that mean? Coming up is cool? What happens going back down, which will likely happen, or maby not. I think Downey will end up being out for the season. It sounds severe. It will probably linger for a long time.

or did the Gazette edit theirs?

Well, the article in the Gazette is a CP article (also available on the TSN website) and that is unedited. The actual game story written by TSN staff is the one I'm referring to, and that most definitely is edited for content.

As far as a player having to clear waivers again, it depends on the length of stay with the team. As long as they haven't played 10 games, or been with the team longer than 30 days, the player can be returned to the AHL without having to pass through waivers.

Lapierre and ferland have both NHL experience, they can hold their own in this league.

they said that downey concussion was a serious one, so I dont think we'll see him anytime soon. not before X mas at least.

my guess is between lapierre and ferland but I think Ist going to be Lapierre since he can also play center.

I guess we'll see in the next few days.

With the injuries, Habs only have 18 active skaters - that means you can't bench anyone, F or D, even if you want to. I don't see that as a problem for the D, though at the start of a long road trip it might make sense to call up Traverse for injuries as a 7th D in the stands, but I think you want a 13th forward in the stands to keep Latendresse on his toes...and so someone who plays a comparable role. So call up Lapierre.

I would say Lapierre would get the call. Kostitsyn after that. I think Chipchura stays down for developmental reasons. No use bringing him up to play a few mins or none each night. Kostitsyn might look good with Perezhogin and Bonk.

CKAC said that it is lilkey Downey may retire!

This is not confirmed just specualtion on thier part but he was released from hospital today

thats a bit premature IMO

In terms of how much this hurts our team - who cares? All it does it open up the door for Lapierre (or Ferland, Kostitsyn, one of the others...) to prove his worth.

But if he returns, great. He's a good guy to have around.