Game Thread | Maple Leafs vs. Habs | 10/28/06

Spider-Man NL

I'd love to see them do 5 minutes of 3 on 3 before a shootout happens! Have coached in an awful lot of tournaments and they usually don't make it through the 3 on 3 session if they go into O/T.

Still settled in a team manner with the gemeral gist of the game involved.....

Not about to happen though!

p.s. I saw one AAA game go down to one on one with no goalies - you keep yanking one guy off every 5 minutes including the goalie eventually. Took almost 3 minutes until they scored in the one on one..... (not suggesating the NHL should try it - but it was an exciting game nonetheless = felt real sorry for the poor sap who got beat 1 on 1)

Edited by beliveau1

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to see them do 5 minutes of 3 on 3 before a shootout happens! Have coached in an awful lot of tournaments and they usually don't make it through the 3 on 3 session if they go into O/T.

Still settled in a team manner with the gemeral gist of the game involved.....

Not about to happen though!

p.s. I saw one AAA game go down to one on one with no goalies - you keep yanking one guy off every 5 minutes including the goalie eventually. Took almost 3 minutes until they scored in the one on one.....

three minutes? wow... that's superb one-on-one coverage by both of those players.

Go :hlogo: Go!

Put it this way Habs fans should be happier tonight then Leafs fans.

by a country mile! this was an early Christmas gift.

Wow, that was the worst effort and game i've seen in years. If this isn't the worst defensive team in the league i don't know who is. (Maybe Philly and Phoenix). It's almost like they don't know to play hockey.

Good news:

1 point

Samsonov and Aebi pleyed well. Perez good night as well

Bad news:

No effort, no hitting

Stupid penalties again. I'll say that 82 times this year i think.

Rivet: (I'm speachless on him) The game has passed him by. Trade him while he has value

The D can't win any battles. Can't pass the puck, never pinch.

Is the just turn and throw the puck anywhere in the zone a system i am not aware of?

I think you'll see the top line the same

Sammy Kov and Perez

Lats Bonk Johnson

Begin Pleks Murray

It's not going to matter who is paired on D,

I hope Carbo has an early practice Sun. No sticks and alot of skating.

i wasn't arguing with you... bottom line, Toronto WAY outshot the Canadiens this game. There's no reasonable way that they should have had to go to a shoot-out.

No doubt that the Leafs were better tonight, but their shot total was REALLY inflated, they were putting the puck on net as soon as they crossed the blue line.

I like Plekanec... good defensively, comes to play every night, works his ass off, never complains... and you know, he might eventually grow into a decent 2nd line centre. But if he's playing on a scoring line, he needs to be judged first and foremost on his offensive output... and 2 points in 9 1/2 games on the second line simply isn't cutting it right now. Given how Kovalev/Samsonov/Perezhogin clicked tonight, it seems pretty clear that those three should be given an extended run together. Plek should fit in nicely with Bonk and Johnson, with Latendresse back on the 4th line. Hopefully Kovalev is up for the challenge of playing centre... and I'm talking more about defensive responsibility than anything else.

Great game by Aebischer. I am extremely, extremely, extremely happy with the Habs goaltending situation right now. I don't think it's a stretch to say that we have two of the 20 best goalies in the league playing for us right now. That is a very, very good thing.

Can't say the same thing about the D. We've been debating on a few threads about whether or not getting rid of Ribeiro was the right move. The way the D is playing now, it seems pretty clear that we needed help back there. Perhaps Niinimaa was the wrong guy to acquire, but it seems pretty obvious (well, to me at least) that dealing Ribeiro for D help was the right idea.

I thought Mark Streit was very good tonight. Considering how badly some other blueliners played, perhaps more ice time is warranted for #32?

For people that watched HNIC tonight... did Greg Millen annoy the hell out of anybody else with his complete lack of knowledge about the Habs? This really is just a reprise of our old "they report what the Leafs had for breakfast and they never say anything about us!" lament, but Millen literally sounded like he hadn't seen a Habs game, talked to any Habs players, or dealt with anything Habs-related so far this year. He kept saying that the Russian line was "reunited"... when THEY HADN'T PLAYED A SHIFT TOGETHER ALL YEAR. That's kind of a glaring error, no?

by a country mile! this was an early Christmas gift.

File this one under the "how to play 7 minutes and get a point" file. If I were Leafer, I'd be pissed...much like I was with the Habs performance for the first 50 or so minutes of the game.

Good to see Samsonov get on the board, though, and then come through in the shoot-out. If that second line - whatever incarnation of it we see - can click like Saku's line, then we are in for some good chats during games.

:hlogo:

Your optimism is a goal we should all strive to attain. :clap:

thanks, z.... :)

three minutes? wow... that's superb one-on-one coverage by both of those players.

Probably the 2 best players in that tournament I'd have to say - they went head to head until they were exhausted. You can make line changes both on the fly and at the whistle but usually at a whistle given the situation? No stoppages and they were flying for parts of that time - 17 years old so they had lots to give.

Both guys tried to get off the ice a couple of times. A goal must be scored from inside the blueline so no cheap crap can end it! Both players just cllapsed when it finally ended......

Edited by beliveau1

I don't know that Kovalev has the grit necessary to play centre.

Personally, I'm not sure that Plekanec will be able to fit in with this team in the long run. He's a decent player but he's not doing the job that is being asked of him. Put him on the wing and there's nothing that he can't do that Perez, Kosty or Johnson couldn't do. I could honestly see him being moved especially if Kosty starts to turn it on in Hamilton. Conroy is the go-to-guy for the Habs right now. He's a centre with size and a proven set up man. A change of scenery might be just what he needs.

For people that watched HNIC tonight... did Greg Millen annoy the hell out of anybody else with his complete lack of knowledge about the Habs? This really is just a reprise of our old "they report what the Leafs had for breakfast and they never say anything about us!" lament, but Millen literally sounded like he hadn't seen a Habs game, talked to any Habs players, or dealt with anything Habs-related so far this year. He kept saying that the Russian line was "reunited"... when THEY HADN'T PLAYED A SHIFT TOGETHER ALL YEAR. That's kind of a glaring error, no?

I've come to expect little else from the CBC...sometimes, even with the Habs on English TV I'll switch over to RDS. As for Millen, happen to catch the comment "this time the captain has the edge"...when talking about faceoffs and saying Sundin has the edge...while he was facing off against Koivu? Granted he did make the distinction between captains, but still.........not since Dick Irvin retired have the Habs been fairly represented on HNIC. (Apologies if this has been discussed earlier in the thread...I am a little late arriving)

:hlogo:

As pressing a problem as the center problem is, have you seen them play D. They need a complete overhaul.

I don't see the habs making moves for vets unless there in a playoff position with points to spare. The team needs to transition to the younger team.

As pressing a problem as the center problem is, have you seen them play D. They need a complete overhaul.

I don't see the habs making moves for vets unless there in a playoff position with points to spare. The team needs to transition to the younger team.

I think Bouillon will turn things around quite nicely. I wouldn't make any more moves until he returns. Same thing for Dandy. That will pretty much settle the first 6. As for right now, I would think that the Swiss captain is winning the Niinimaa/Streit battle for supremacy.

Just as a sidenote, would it not be nice if the Ron Hainsey experiment had worked? This guy was touted as a PP quarterback. Instead he turned out to be a college kid looking for another party. tsk tsk....

short you tired?

Anyway today was a comeback game. Good game even though the canadiens were out shoot, the boys never gave up.

nope... not tired at all. I did enjoy the game too. very pleased with the outcome... surprised and pleased.

you are right, nevertheless, about the 'never give up' thing... it seems that there's that kind of spirit within the team... doesn't always work but it certainly helps a lot.

If Kovy wants to play C then we should jump at that opportunity. Ironically, he could turn out to be the strong no. 2 centreman we've been hankering for :lol: Stranger things have happened.

The D will work out, but I AM beginning to wonder about whether whichever coach is in charge of that unit (is it Muller?) is equipped to handle that job at this level. The talent is there...so it may well be the coaching.

If Kovy wants to play C then we should jump at that opportunity. Ironically, he could turn out to be the strong no. 2 centreman we've been hankering for :lol: Stranger things have happened.

The D will work out, but I AM beginning to wonder about whether whichever coach is in charge of that unit (is it Muller?) is equipped to handle that job at this level. The talent is there...so it may well be the coaching.

aïe, aïe, aïe... (or, in English... sheeeeshhhhhhhhh...)

Edited by shortcat1

What was that word they were using somewhere here earlier tonight?

Aaaaaaahhhh yes, I remember now......... fickle

What was that word they were using somewhere here earlier tonight?

Aaaaaaahhhh yes, I remember now......... fickle

yessssssssssssssss........................ :)

Got a thing for Brooke? :rolleyes:

Is that who that is?

I just typed 'beautiful woman' in google and picked one that was 150X200. There were others I liked more but this one fit this site's size criteria.

Maybe I'll look for another one... I don't necessarily want a 'known' face.

Haha. Is it gettin lonely up there in the Big Nickel?

nah........... just for a left curve & a reaction from my habs buddies...

it won't stay here long... just to see how people react to it.