"New" NHL...and other catch phrases that annoy you

huzer

my biggest pet peeves is commentators pronouncing a name as if they were all english or french. can't they ask that player how to pronounce their name and atleast make an effort to say it right!!

You should be happy you ain't European. ;)

I'm a complete city person, I'd die if I was ever stuck out in the sticks. But believe me when I tell you I know what a barn looks like, and an NHL arena does not fit that description IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
my biggest pet peeves is commentators pronouncing a name as if they were all english or french. can't they ask that player how to pronounce their name and atleast make an effort to say it right!!

Agreed on that!!! Hate that

Seems like Houle at RDS has taken the tradition of Quenneville at SRC to ask the players how they pronounce their names. Though sometimes its funny... I remember thinking at first "Why do they call him Mautts Soondine"?!

Though in English sometimes I dont understand who the Hell they are talking about. Like... "Booleeann", "Beijing" !?!

Though they got Latendresse pretty perfect and it sounds so cool, rolling the "R" just right (and not making it sound like "dress". They've put so much effort into it makes him sound mean!

Referring to the puck as "the biscuit" and the goalie's glove as "the basket" should outlawed by penelty of public whipping. 25 lashes minimum, + 15 lashes for repeat offenders.

Or the boards being called "the wall".

"He is so strong along the wall"... WTF?

Or calling the butterfly "the V" style... Ugh... why screw up a perfectly original and imaginative expression with something as dumb?