Plex back on 2nd line

KoZed

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20061121...acheid=20061121

Plekanec about his second chance and what he'll do differently: "I'll take better decisions. Instead of always giving them the puck, I'll sometimes have to decide to shoot to the net. Our opponents are often on Alex's back, and sometimes the better play will be to avoid him. But to make those decisions, you need confidence and I didnt have it earlier this season."

Kovalev: "There is no vets, no rookies, there is only a team. I was young too and its true that sometimes its impressive. But we all play better hockey now. One thing is certain: he (Plekanec) will have to stop trying to find us, control the play more and us, we will position ourselves to give him a good target."

Well... here's hoping that the 2nd time works better than the 1st. Plex got the talent to control the puck more and he's got an underrated shot.

Plekanec about his second chance and what he'll do differently: "I'll take better decisions. Instead of always giving them the puck, I'll sometimes have to decide to shoot to the net. Our opponents are often on Alex's back, and sometimes the better play will be to avoid him. But to make those decisions, you need confidence and I didnt have it earlier this season."

Kovalev: "There is no vets, no rookies, there is only a team. I was young too and its true that sometimes its impressive. But we all play better hockey now. One thing is certain: he (Plekanec) will have to stop trying to find us, control the play more and us, we will position ourselves to give him a good target."

Well... here's hoping that the 2nd time works better than the 1st. Plex got the talent to control the puck more and he's got an underrated shot.

He's got a bullet of a shot. Does anyone else remember that rocket he fired at Belfour last year?

He's got a bullet of a shot. Does anyone else remember that rocket he fired at Belfour last year?

Yeah I remember that. He was close from the net, fired it top corner and it was back out before Belfour even moved.

I hope he makes the difference, I really do.

However my first reactions were UGH!!!!!!! and

why doesn't Kosty, Grabovsky and maybe even Corey Locke get as many (or any) opportunities as Perez and Pleks?

Honestly, at what point do we realize what style these players are and quit trying to force roles on them that are impossible.

Locke would be well worth a shot in this position, he has amazing offensive capabilities. Locke is a bit on the small side but he and Wellwood are identicle players (Locke more talented) and it has worked out for the Leafs.

Locke would be well worth a shot in this position, he has amazing offensive capabilities. Locke is a bit on the small side but he and Wellwood are identicle players (Locke more talented) and it has worked out for the Leafs.

Ugh... Locke? He's not even doing all that great in the AHL. Not even did anything noticeable in training camp. His "amazing offensive capabilities" sure dont seem that obvious. Why would he work out in the NHL all in a sudden? Locke is starting to remind me of Ribeiro, but smaller and slower. Grabs would probably deserve a call-up before Locke. More mature, more ready, more speedy.

Plex and Perez (and Higgins) have dominated when they played in the AHL and they fully deserved their chances. Something Kosty or Locke can't brag about yet.

Besides, Kosty just got his chance but he couldn't hold unto it. He only has himself to blame there.

Ugh... Locke? He's not even doing all that great in the AHL. Not even did anything noticeable in training camp. His "amazing offensive capabilities" sure dont seem that obvious. Why would he work out in the NHL all in a sudden? Locke is starting to remind me of Ribeiro, but smaller and slower. Grabs would probably deserve a call-up before Locke. More mature, more ready, more speedy.

Plex and Perez (and Higgins) have dominated when they played in the AHL and they fully deserved their chances. Something Kosty or Locke can't brag about yet.

Besides, Kosty just got his chance but he couldn't hold unto it. He only has himself to blame there.

Do you actually know anything about Locke or is this just more of your ongoing argumentative banter?

Locke is exactly what could have happened to Lats if they didn't keep him; but now is the opposite.

If Lats had been sent back down again he would not have had the good numbers that he had the previous season because there was no reward waiting for him for his performance. Lats was the best player at two consecutive training camps forcing the habs to keep him. If they had sent him back it would have sent the message that he could outplay everyone as much as he wanted but he would not get the call. So instead of destroying the kids confidence (not being able to go to the AHL helped alot too) they kept him.

Locke led the team in scoring last season (at the will of the coaching staff that only gave him 6-9 mins ice time per game the year before) and watched as undeserving players IMO got the callup.

Why would Locke play his guts out if he knows they will never give him a shot?

"

Kovalev did say the right things. lets see if he'll put those words into action.

Do you actually know anything about Locke or is this just more of your ongoing argumentative banter?

So someone who doesn't agree with you is on an argumentative banter?

Locke is exactly what could have happened to Lats if they didn't keep him; but now is the opposite.

If Lats had been sent back down again he would not have had the good numbers that he had the previous season because there was no reward waiting for him for his performance. Lats was the best player at two consecutive training camps forcing the habs to keep him. If they had sent him back it would have sent the message that he could outplay everyone as much as he wanted but he would not get the call. So instead of destroying the kids confidence (not being able to go to the AHL helped alot too) they kept him.

Speculation. What-ifs, couldas and shouldas. Lats is an exceptionnal kid. Every other prospect in the organization passed through the AHL team. How comes they didnt have their "confidence shattered" but Locke supposedly has?

Locke led the team in scoring last season (at the will of the coaching staff that only gave him 6-9 mins ice time per game the year before) and watched as undeserving players IMO got the callup.

Leading the team in scoring doesn't automatically makes you more deserving. Lot more things factor in the decision to call up a player; ie. is he consistent? Is he working hard to improve? Can he take care of his own end? Does he has the speed, size or smarts to keep up? Is he the AHL's coach go-to guy? Etc, etc, etc.

Why would Locke play his guts out if he knows they will never give him a shot?

Uhhhh, I dont know... maybe because that's how you get noticed and show you deserve to get called up and avoid being labelled as a career minor-leaguer not willing to pay the price to make it to the NHL?

So someone who doesn't agree with you is on an argumentative banter?

Speculation. What-ifs, couldas and shouldas. Lats is an exceptionnal kid. Every other prospect in the organization passed through the AHL team. How comes they didnt have their "confidence shattered" but Locke supposedly has?

Uhhhh, I dont know... maybe because that's how you get noticed and show you deserve to get called up and avoid being labelled as a career minor-leaguer not willing to pay the price to make it to the NHL?

So..... My first sentence was right then? :wacko:

everything you said about Locke and what he needs to do was done and yet nothing in return, point taken, you know jack about Locke.

I usually try to see within the organisation before seeking somewhere else.

So we need a center that respond to what coaches Carbo, Muller and Jarvis ask for Heart, dedication, strongness with a scoring touch.

Does Locke has all those tools? Strongness??.

Lapierre works like a horse get send up and down and never complaints.

Chipchura has the complete package he would have the same points with the same ice time in the NHL.

And another player who i would rather have than Murray is Duncan Milroy. Lapierre-Bégin and Milroy would give us more depht at the NHL level for years to come.

We saw Locke play during the training camp. He had his chance with Kovalev and it was a disaster. Right, Kovalev probably didn't help him look good, but I didn't see Locke giving any special effort. Latendresse grabbed his spot. Locke didn't impress at all. He's a long shot to make the NHL and, especially at his size, will always have to battle at every level. Good luck to him.. he has the skill. Canadian MVP, that means something.

Plekanec spent few years in the AHL and slowly but surely progressed before getting to the NHL. He is really lucky to have a second chance with Kovalev. Hopefully it will work out this time. If not, Gainey might have to trade him and get a veteran center.

I usually try to see within the organisation before seeking somewhere else.

So we need a center that respond to what coaches Carbo, Muller and Jarvis ask for Heart, dedication, strongness with a scoring touch.

Does Locke has all those tools? Strongness??.

Lapierre works like a horse get send up and down and never complaints.

Chipchura has the complete package he would have the same points with the same ice time in the NHL.

And another player who i would rather have than Murray is Duncan Milroy. Lapierre-Bégin and Milroy would give us more depht at the NHL level for years to come.

I agree with you ER, but those are the "In a perfect world" qualities that the coaches want.

By those standards we would have a number 1 centre. The problem is that we can shuffle Pleks, Perez, and all the other habs on the current roster all season long and still not be any better off for almost $8M in cap room.

My suggestion is only that we try someone else no matter how unlikely they seem.

Gionta, St.Louis, Briere, even Saku are all small and should not have been discounted like they were in their careers (Briere cleared waivers for god's sake!), and especially the way the game is now.

Chipchura might be a good fit as well, but Locke's creativity might mesh better with the russians. Who knows? but when nothing is working why be afraid of trying anything?

When it's not broken don't fix it, when it is, find a way and fast.

ditto to that.

GO :hlogo: GO!

I'm happy to hear the news. :clap:

I really liked what Kovalev had to say, a real team player.

It's pretty cool we get to hear this stuff in the media. Better then the usual complaining and blasting we are used to. I'd like to think this is not Kovalev's words or Plekanec's words but more Carbos's words and teachings that are starting to come out in the players thoughts. It shows that Carbo wasn't only a great player but an amazing teacher too. Carbo as a coach is the best thing Montreal has done in a long time.

He's is taming the Montreal media and his players in small baby steps to become a real power house in the near future. He should run for prime minister. This is so great to watch. If anyone can get the province of Quebec to lower the taxes on the Montreal Canadiens it's Carbo and Gainey. Sorry to digress but I can't help feel that the next Scotty Bowman is beind the bench in Montreal and I couldn't be happier.

Go HABS Go!!!!!!

So..... My first sentence was right then? :wacko:

everything you said about Locke and what he needs to do was done and yet nothing in return, point taken, you know jack about Locke.

That's supposed to be a counter-arguement?

Locke is strong? Fast? Works well in his own end? Is hungry every shift? Is his coach's go-to guy? Dominates games?

Nobody's impressed by Locke's lack of progress, neither am I. You're probably the only one who blames the Habs organization for not giving Locke a shot he doesnt deserve in the first place...

You want to make a case for Locke? Make it. Dont throw personnal attacks around. It just makes you look like a Locke fan boy who can't stand his beloved player get criticized.

That's supposed to be a counter-arguement?

Locke is strong? Fast? Works well in his own end? Is hungry every shift? Is his coach's go-to guy? Dominates games?

Nobody's impressed by Locke's lack of progress, neither am I. You're probably the only one who blames the Habs organization for not giving Locke a shot he doesnt deserve in the first place...

You want to make a case for Locke? Make it. Dont throw personnal attacks around. It just makes you look like a Locke fan boy who can't stand his beloved player get criticized.

It was not a personal attack, it was an honest question.

Answer given....You really don't know anything about Locke.

Do you think that pulling up his stats on a website gives you some insight to a player or the meaning to his team?

Get to know them then preach to the choir.

Unreal

It was not a personal attack, it was an honest question.

Answer given....You really don't know anything about Locke.

Do you think that pulling up his stats on a website gives you some insight to a player or the meaning to his team?

Get to know them then preach to the choir.

Unreal

Talking about how I am an argumentative banter or how I dont know anything about Locke is neither a question nor an arguement but personnal attack. Talk about Locke, not about me.

As far as just pulling stats... Funny, because that's exactly what you have done in the little you've written to make a case in Locke's favor. All you brought up is that he finished 1st scorer for Hamilton last season and didn't get called up. You've gave no other arguements in his favor. Yet I'm the one that dont know anything about him? I said more about him than you did.

What's unreal is that so far all you've written is evasive & defensive statements about other's opinion being invalid, yet you can't write anything to support your opinion. If you know Locke so much, how comes you can't give any more solid arguement in his favor than something as vague as "he isn't given his due"?

Make a real case for Locke that stands criticism or don't bother at all.