Janne Niinimaa

Funk Doc

I was reading on spectors hockey website and it said that he may be available. I'm not saying, lets jump the gun and trade for him, but its something to look at down the road.

He's a good two way defenceman that can play the powerplay and can add size to the team.

The only problem might be that the Islanders wouldnt want to trade him to a team that they may be battling for a playoff spot.

It's the Islanders so it's always worth looking into. Who knows what Mike Milbury will do next? Offer him Dagenais and maybe give him a bonus of Ron Hainsey! He'll sign them both to 10-year deals, then sign a new great defenceman in the next off-season and Long Island gets excited at the newest superstar in town. This would be a nice asset to our team but we don't have much to offer besides Mike Ribeiro.

Why not offer Ribeiro then?

Use one of the rookies as 2nd line center.

If that doesnt work... use Bonk and Bulis with Ryder as a 2nd line. Begin can center the 3rd line if the younger c doesnt play consistent.

I don't see why the Islanders would move this guy. He's a solid top four defenseman.

Hypothetically, if this is so, then Dagenais & Hainsey is like us moving stuff that just won't work for us or is possibly not going to work for anybody so why would that be acceptable trade material.

Adding Ribeiro in the mix might work, I suppose, but this guy's got a whole lot of potential. He's still young and, with guidance and workable linemates, could develop into a super threat.

Niinima's over 30, so how many years has he got? I don't know... it's a good thing I'm not in charge of that aspect of managing the Canadiens. I'm quite comfortable managing my sofa and keyboard.

1966 - VERY quiet year - went to Atlantic City & New York City with my family

[Edited on 2005/10/21 by shortcat1]

Millbury would never trade Ninimaa for any combination of those 3 players. Dagenais has zero trade value, and any team could have picked up Hainsey off waivers. Ribeiro has some perceived value but the way he's struggling right now, I'm not sure even "mad Mike" would be interested.

There is a very interesting article on the main page of this site called "The Fan's Sunday Mailbag" in the 'Must Read' section on the top left hand corner. The author, 'A Concerned Fan' deals with that question. His comments fall pretty well in line 'habzz22'.

It's a good read on the whole.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

1967 - another quiet year - was a Junior Forest Ranger at Obatanga Provincial Park in Northern Ontario - went to Expo 67 with my parents

[Edited on 2005/10/21 by shortcat1]

Janne Ninimaa would be the last bit in this puzzle.

Right now I think the Habs has it all. Allmost. Add one tough defenceman good on his skates, with a good accurate slapshot and some physical play. Niinima does it all.

Acctualy one of my favourite finnish players.

I think Gainey would love to have him, problem is: There's only two players that could be traded today: Dagenais and Hainsey and both have value close to zero.

Adding Niinima would also mean that Boullion would be the seventh defenceman. I think Francis has done great tihis season and deserves his spot. Souray on the other hand. But why trade a Canadian national team player for a finnish?

1 first round pick? Gainey wouldn't. A second rounder? Our last second rounder was Latendresse...

A third round pick, Pierre Dagenais, Ron Hainsey and a future consideration? Is Mad Mike really mad?

Originally posted by ch_nl

1 first round pick? Gainey wouldn't. A second rounder? Our last second rounder was Latendresse...

A third round pick, Pierre Dagenais, Ron Hainsey and a future consideration? Is Mad Mike really mad?

As I've said before, Milbury may have made what seem to be dumb moves in the past but I can't imagine him doing the one you suggest. It just seems beyond reasonable.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

an old contract law saying: "For every contract there must be a detriment"

If you're going to get a good player, it has to hurt. Unless you are going to start play Dandenault on the wing, you need to get rid of 1 D-man if you are going to get Niinimaa. Can't get rid of Rivet because of salary. Markov is untouchable. Just got Dandenault, he's supposed to be the future as is Komisarek.

OK - Souray, Boullion, Streit.

You can trade Souray if: you think he's not adjusting to the new NHL. You think his offensive doesn't offset his D. You think other people don't know this.

You can trade Boullion if: you still think his size is a problem. You think that at 30 yrs old the speed that allows him to play will soon leave him. You think he's a great #7 defensemen, but never a regular.

You can trade Streit: If you think he's soft. If you think being good in the SEL doesn't mean you're good. If you think he's not offensive enough to be an offensive-defenseman and not defensive enough to stay at home.

If you want niinimaa send them souray or one of the other two + a decent forward (you're probably talking a bulis or a kid). None of this tempts you? Then it's unlikely that we make the trade. Especially since NYI would see themselves as challenging us for a playoffs spot.

see, im less sure. Perforce if you want to upgrade the defensive core you have to remove a member of that core. I think that Ninimaa is better than certain members of our core, so why not free up some members for trade?