Who do you want the habs to take with the two first rounders?

Habitforming

Deal or no Deal?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the habs will make a deal involving the 2 first round picks?

• They will trade both picks and a prospect to move up in position
    • They will trade the 2 picks only to move up in position
    • They will trade both picks and a player for a #1 Centre
    • They will trade both picks and a player for a top 4 Defenseman
    • They won't make any deals and draft in the 12th and 22nd positions
    • Not sure what will happen, but something is going on

According to HF the Habs will get Cherepanov at 12th and Thomas Hickey at 22nd.

I've never heard of Hickey but Cherepanov could easily go top 5. I guess they're banking on teams passing on Russians due to the lack of a transfer agreement.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard of Hickey but Cherepanov could easily go top 5. I guess they're banking on teams passing on Russians due to the lack of a transfer agreement.

I think Chereanov will go top 5 and possibly top 3.

Bob will take the guy they have rated highest that is still available when his pick comes up. even if it is Joel Gistedt. Yeah great, another star goalie. I like Mike Hoeffel if he is around for San jose's pick. With our's, David Perron or Stephan Legein. Jeremy Smith or Joel Gistedt are both good picks. Love Joel's style, reminds me of myself as a youngster. Now I remember where my back and knee problems started.

If we get Cherepanov, I'm going to be the happiest faerie in the whole wide world. :wub:

:unsure:

Another reason for me NOT to add a personal photo to my profile.

;)

You mean you don't want to get added to a very special archive of pictures? :lol:

yeah nick, its not only our accent they dig in north america ;)

Heh, don't even get me started on accents. :king:

Cherepanov is as good as Ovechkin and Malkin. Will be a calder nominee.

Get the best available. Esposito might be left---

reports say that cherepanov could be on the lazy side

reports say that cherepanov could be on the lazy side

That would really suck for anyone drafting him. I bet Angelo Esposito will be available at #12 which will make an interesting option for the Habs. Trade the attractive pick for a quick fix at center? Hmmmm.......

I can almost promise you that Esposito will not be around by #12.

I don't think he will

I've followed the draft closely for some years now; and all I know is that the Habs always surprises us with their 1st round picks. Everyone was expecting Mikko Koivu in 2001 and Komisarek slipped on our laps. Following year Savard moves for Higgins, following year Kostitsyn slips all the way down to us, year after that its Chipchura. Then its the Price shock and last year a guy almost nobody even saw as a 1st rounder in Fischer.

The scouting staff has an interesting way of ranking prospects and going after whose available on their list.

With 2 first rounders, Gainey's got a good hand here. After the top 5, there's a drop off to a 2nd batch (the Esposito batch) that all pretty much equal each other. A team high on one of these kids could want our #12th pick. Or Gainey could move up into that 5th to 12th range to get his hands on his target. A guy like Voracek, for example, could be the type of forward Gainey & Carbo loves. But he'll go right after the top 5, if not earlier.

Than, looking at the Fischer pick last season, and you could think a guy like Ellerby could be high on the Habs list; and they might take a gamble that he'll still be there at #12. Or they might even trade down if their guy is still on the board.

Whatever happens, the Habs will probably pull something no one saw coming... again... :P

Yes, there will probably be a surprise or two... I don't think you can use the 2001 draft to prove your point though. Koivu wasn't on the board when we drafted Komisarek. He was taken a pick ahead, at 6th. I'm sure had he been on the board we would have taken him, but you never know.

Yes, there will probably be a surprise or two... I don't think you can use the 2001 draft to prove your point though. Koivu wasn't on the board when we drafted Komisarek. He was taken a pick ahead, at 6th. I'm sure had he been on the board we would have taken him, but you never know.

Not really sure if we'd have taken Koivu... Thing is, Komisarek was pegged as a top 5 pick. Nobody thought he'd still be available at our rank. So if the choice had come, nothing says we'd still not have picked him.

Not really sure if we'd have taken Koivu... Thing is, Komisarek was pegged as a top 5 pick. Nobody thought he'd still be available at our rank. So if the choice had come, nothing says we'd still not have picked him.

Maybe so but you can hardly say it was a surprise that we didn't draft Koivu if we never even had the opportunity. Unless the surprise is that he was taken top 6.

We have a lot of leverage in what we can do on draft day. It appears we will have a lot of cap room (esp when Souray leaves as well as Bonk and Abbey and with the Samsanov trade). We have some of the best prospects in the league, 2 first round draft picks as well as a few players that BG might consider expendable. Going into the draft I would say the Habs are sitting in the best position out of any team to make a deal that could potentially make our team a lot better. I'm sure BG is on the phones seeing what is avaliable out there and I for one would not be surprised to see at least one trade go down.

I know I didn't include Mike Johnson in the list of UFA's because I really hope he stays...I think he has a great attitude and for the most part is a really hard worker. I know he will probably leave but I would like to see him stay on.

Edited by Habsfan24

I like Ryan McDonagh and could see him being available at 12. I really like mobile D coming out of American college these days. They can skate and hit, but have played a style closer to the New NHL than the more rough-and-tumble WHL and with much more emphasis on postitional defence than the Q. The best colleges also seem to have excellent coaching systems that really focus on the players as individuals.