How many Habs fans do you think there are in Canada & in the World?

Just wondering if anyone knows?

Although I am Italian ( Through my mother ) and Portuguese from my fathers side my favourite soccer team is Benfica and in Portugal with a pop. of 10m ...6million are benfica and they have the Guiness World Record of having the most amount of fans as paid members of the club...

Sooooooooooooo anyways I was wondering in Canada...35m approx...how many are habs fans?

And in the world?

Anyone ever read on this matter?

My guess would be if everyone HAD to pick a team in Canada

40% Leafs

35 % Habs

22% Other Canadian Teams

3% Other teams (US)

Also I believe there are more Habs fans world wide.

World

35% Habs

30% Red Wings

20% Leafs/Rangers/Bruins/Hawks

15% Other

My guess would be if everyone HAD to pick a team in Canada

40% Leafs

35 % Habs

22% Other Canadian Teams

3% Other teams (US)

Also I believe there are more Habs fans world wide.

World

35% Habs

30% Red Wings

20% Leafs/Rangers/Bruins/Hawks

15% Other

I wonder how much the Hawks still figure into that equation... The Wings definitely own the US.

There are NO Habs fans.

Be are part of a brother/sisterhood of people that want to see the most glorious team in sports history once again dine on a winning tradition and own our Stanley cup for a little while. We share the trophy with other teams so that there is interest all around in hockey. I even hope one day for Vancouver to share in the wealth of a Stanley Cup as they are a class act and worthy of sipping champaign from such a storied trophy.

Teams like Make-Be-Leaf Nation (Stolen from Raider Nation) have a belief that they are know world wide when in fact they have become a legend in their own minds. It is true to tradition in Toronto to be losers, while the Habs although recently at a low are once again rising to the glorious peak of extreme success.

With all this been said, I would bet with my all my riches that the Habs would be known across the world. Success brings recognition and there is no denying that Montreal is the most successful NHL franchise that draws the LARGEST crowds, has the LOUDEST fans and just wins championships. Toronto, will still claim to be the New York Yankees of hockey when they have not won the cup again in year 2099 and eventually will celebrate as Stanley cup Losers since 1967 in the Year 4067.

And in this time Montreal will have won more championships and celebrated more winning memories as our brother/sisterhood will live on for ever and ever....

The End. :blink::rolleyes: :hlogo:

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

I would suppose that within Canada about 10 million people follow hockey enough to be considered hockey fans.

Of that I would assume at least 4 million or so are Leafs fans (due to the population of the GTA), and around 2.5M are Canadiens supporters. Maybe another 100,000 or so fans outside of Canada?

In terms of comparison to something like a football (or soccer as the Americans would say) team, hockey teams dont have the same level of support.

I would suppose that within Canada about 10 million people follow hockey enough to be considered hockey fans.

Of that I would assume at least 4 million or so are Leafs fans (due to the population of the GTA), and around 2.5M are Canadiens supporters. Maybe another 100,000 or so fans outside of Canada?

In terms of comparison to something like a football (or soccer as the Americans would say) team, hockey teams dont have the same level of support.

3 million bandwagon leaf fans(that will flip flop with any winner) and maybe 1 million true Leaf fans. Never assume us in Toronto vote for the Pathetic Leafs. Also do not assume most people in Toronto actually watch hockey. Where I work, 1 Leaf fan, 2 Habs fans, 1 Oiler fan and 40 people who don't watch hockey. (NFL, NASCAR and Soccer is their thing)

Listen to the Toronto sports stations and even their boosters have jumped ship. (Late night vampire on the Fan590 for instance, he has Sabres seasons tickets now))

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

hmm interesting...

I am suprised there are so many habs fans in toronto? displaced montrealers?

Yeah a lot of ex Montrealers live in Toronto I know about 50 myself.

Regardless of the Leafs, Toronto as a city is the economic centre of Canada. Definitely a lot of industry that was based in Montreal moved headquarters to Toronto during the '70's and onwards when the separatist movement began to take form.

Regardless of the Leafs, Toronto as a city is the economic centre of Canada. Definitely a lot of industry that was based in Montreal moved headquarters to Toronto during the '70's and onwards when the separatist movement began to take form.

Toronto is actually a great place and has so many events that is worth visiting. The people for the most part are great and just like Canadians in the West, Canadians in the East and CANADIENS in Habs land are the same. What really makes the difference country wide is the "Center Of The Universe" Toronto media that are just ignorant fools. Jounalists not the good people of Toronto is what makes T-dot get a bad rap.

hmm interesting...

I am suprised there are so many habs fans in toronto? displaced montrealers?

Yea I believe that helps with it, my mom grew up in montreal, but i have been born and raised as a habs fan from my dad mainly. he has no connections to montreal himself, but he just liked them growing up. i know a fair amount of habs fans in my school too, it's probably because our dads would root for them growing up when they won the cup like every year...and they just raised us this way

The habs fans in the ACC all live in toronto/GTA mainly.

You can really tell its the offseason with threads like this.

Did not mean to offend or insult anyone etc...

I just wonder cos I am very passionate about my teams benfica and the habs...and for football(soccer) fan base (numbers) and paid members etc is important...

I suppose with hockey it is as well to a certain extent I was just curious if anyone knew the number of actual confirmed habs fans in Canada and in the world.

Nice to see people post they know fans...and why...

I am a huge fan just like everyone else here...i love the habs and i love meeting fellow habs fans as passionate as myself.

Peace.

I think you will find that the vitriole directed at the Leafs is also mirrored outside of Canada. I am Australian (but living in the UK at the moment) and only know one or two Leafs fans. The reason for this (i believe) is because they are the butt of all jokes and, if you do not live in Canada where Leafs Nation rules the press and tv coverage, then Toronto is just another team that will not win the Cup this season.

So, if you had no ties to Toronto and did not live in Canada, why would you subject yourself to it?

Ok so that may not be entirely true as there a few around but they, by far, receive the most abuse. I ask my Maple Queef friends why they do it almost daily :P

Oh and Giovanni, I was at Anfield when your Benfica knocked my Liverpool out of the European Cup in 2006 :nono: I have never forgiven you since ;)

5 million inside Quebec.

18 million inside rest of Canada.

2 million in the States.

The entire remainder of the Russian Communist Party (7 more right there).

Two dozen internationally, but don't worry - we're holding the fort.

Anyway, Benfica, Liverpool, there is only one true Faith. Celtic, you know it.

Brutus: I guess you do make a point. If I get the jist of it...people are TO fans because they actually have a TO connection...not because of their history or glory hunting etc...So Hence...you are saying us habs can get fans purely on our history?

I was not at the Stadium of Light (Estadio Da Luz) when Benfica played Liverpool (SOLD my tickets on Ebay...) I can understand your frustration. Honestly though Brutus...I love benfica with all my heart HOWEVER, as ardent and fervent football fan one can easily see that liverpool are GREAT club, with great players. Benfica can not even put up a decent fight against Sporting or Porto in the Portuguese League. Hard times for the sleeping giant that is benfica...us benfica fans and habs fans of bith of the year 1982 and forward enjoy the curse of cursing our clubs both benfica and the habs for since our birth our greatness has come to a brutal death...

I long for the days of glory for both benfica and the habs.

I am sure habs are in the right direction, for the most part...benfica is up a creek without a paddle...and well liverpool has a great manager in benitez and is a great team...(At least on paper)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

tokyohabs

Amusing post! I would LOVE it for Canada to boast 18million habs fans.

Again, im a huge benfica fan, but it does not compare to the quality of celtic or liverpool...its soo painful to see the habs in dire straits and see benfica suck soooooo bloody much...

Is there a way we can do some sort of online poll to see which club has more fans worldwide? or are online polls doomed by who erm...click the most...?

Edited by giovannicanella

Well, Celtic have the advantage of being in a two-team league, whereas you have three (and occasionally Boavista). I'd say we have a shade less pedigree than you, but two great old clubs. Much respect to Liverpool as well, the most Irish team in the world after us.

Online voting poll, like the All-Star-Fitzpatrick-Game? Great idea. Gentlemen, start your mouses...mices...

Giovanni - I had friends who travelled to Benfica for the game and had an awesome time in your city and at your stadium (they loved the eagle before the match!). They keep in touch with a hardcore group of Benfica fans who came to Anfield for the return leg.

Tokyo- Much love to the hoops, but I would say that...being Catholic and of Irish ancestery :D

Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread. No idea where you would start with the poll G. What website do NHL fans worldwide visit? nhl.com is the only one i reckon.

brutus

Giovanni - I had friends who travelled to Benfica for the game and had an awesome time in your city and at your stadium (they loved the eagle before the match!). They keep in touch with a hardcore group of Benfica fans who came to Anfield for the return leg.

Tokyo- Much love to the hoops, but I would say that...being Catholic and of Irish ancestery

Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread. No idea where you would start with the poll G. What website do NHL fans worldwide visit? nhl.com is the only one i reckon.

tokyohabs

Well, Celtic have the advantage of being in a two-team league, whereas you have three (and occasionally Boavista). I'd say we have a shade less pedigree than you, but two great old clubs. Much respect to Liverpool as well, the most Irish team in the world after us. Online voting poll, like the All-Star-Fitzpatrick-Game? Great idea. Gentlemen, start your mouses...mices...

Brutus: Heheheh cool, I lived 4 years in Lisbon, it was a nice place, I loved the eagle too but its a shame our stadia is always empty and only the supporters groups sing at the matches...No worries about the "Hijacking" It was a welcomed hijack, I am here to discuss things with fellow habs fans etc...no biggy, you did also post on topic.

Tokyohabs: Much appreciated comments just like Brutus' You are right though...online voting polls etc...is just a click fest..shame we can't really have it done online...My brother used to work for ipsos and reid...

going back on topic...would you not want to know how many habs fans there are world wide? And compare them with the other clubs?