Sikh group slams immigration name change policy

Athlétique.Canadien

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/200...gh.html?ref=rss

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. A person being reviewed for permanent status does not qualify for Charter rights. I know they may not like it but there is also nothing in the UN charter to prevent this screening. It is fully within a country's right to deny immigration status. I'm quite sure that if my name was "John Smith" that Canada would ask for a little clarification too.

Any thoughts?

I don't think I'll have a problem. If they do, I've got some cool ass german names in my family a couple of them are extinct. But I don't think I'll have a problem since nobody in germany/hungary has my last name and only about 10 people (my family) have my last name. I should be okay. If not, I'll go back to the way it was orginally spelled for 200 years until about 100 years ago. Or better yet I'll just switch everything to german. lol

if they have a third last name no biggie, if they don't they shouldn't be forced to make one.

I don't think I'll have a problem. If they do, I've got some cool ass german names in my family a couple of them are extinct. But I don't think I'll have a problem since nobody in germany/hungary has my last name and only about 10 people (my family) have my last name. I should be okay. If not, I'll go back to the way it was orginally spelled for 200 years until about 100 years ago. Or better yet I'll just switch everything to german. lol

if they have a third last name no biggie, if they don't they shouldn't be forced to make one.

You already have a third name.

1.) Pierre - not to be confused with a former Prime Minister.

2.) The - very confusing as it is a word we use every day.

3.) Great - well this one will get you a bloody nose on the playground. :hockey:

Yunno, when I started this thread, after I posted it I thought, "what a stupid thread". I thought I might overwrite it with something else but time passed by and meh.

But, here we go again. Now it's Facebook.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/07/30/...namechange.html

The civil service and Immigration Canada changed the rule on the form. That didn't surprise me. If a policy shift in the clerical department is easily dealt with, then the Sikh's or whatever other group of people need not worry. In Canada, ninety-nine times out of one hundred, this stuff goes no further than the department. So, as it turns out, no big deal. The culture adjusted for the other culture.

They are getting on my nerves with this behaviour. I do respect their position, but this as simple as clerical nonsense. The wording is awful. The idea awful. But how many times have we seen bureaucratic nonsense like this?

What gets me is that they should fight the good fight but don't go from zero to 100,000 in three seconds. Chill out. We're working on it.

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

I think I might have found a solution for this problem...

DONT APPLY FOR IMMIGRATION IF YOU DONT LIKE THE RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a ridiculous thing to say. I guess since players don't like all the rules in hockey they should just stop playing. :rolleyes:

I agree to a certain extent ... if you don't like the rules, don't come ... unless you are willing to join the system and work out a strategy to improve the rules.

Now, as I understand it, every single baptized Sikh has the name Sinhg or Kaur ... that is a lot of people with the same family name ... and since most have a third, possibly original, name, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Sounds like sour grapes from the person launching the suit ....

I agree to a certain extent ... if you don't like the rules, don't come ... unless you are willing to join the system and work out a strategy to improve the rules.

Now, as I understand it, every single baptized Sikh has the name Sinhg or Kaur ... that is a lot of people with the same family name ... and since most have a third, possibly original, name, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Sounds like sour grapes from the person launching the suit ....

Is it the Sikhs who come here in Québec and allow their kid to attend school with their "Kirpan" (basically a knife) ?

Is it the Sikhs who come here in Québec and allow their kid to attend school with their "Kirpan" (basically a knife) ?

Not too sure if it happened in Quebec yet, but it did happen in Western Canada. Basically I think that was the wrong decision too ... if there are two conflicting rules, then the one that preserves society rights should trump all. I think it will take for one of these knife weilding kids to snap and attack someone before they reverse the decision.

Yeah - they view it as a religious accessory. But really, to give a kid that seems a bit excessive, even the most pious one might be tempted to use it in a schoolyard fight, no?