Would you....

Wamsley

Trade Theodore for Pronger?

St. Louis has had goalie problems ever since Cujo left,

I have confidence that Garon can step in and replace Jose and give us the elite D-man we have been missing since Desjardins left.

The last 2 seasons I have watched every 1 of Montreal's

D-Men get outmuscled in front of the net in late game situations. I can recall at least 20 situations in the last 2 years where we have blown a 3rd period lead. I love Theo but he is our most tradeable asset, Gainey would have to have balls to do it, but we would significantly improve overnght.

I pose the question because St. Louis had rumbled about getting rid of him at the trade deadline and I continue to hear rumbles. Personally I love Theo but I think Garon can step in and fill his shoes and we don't have anybody close to the level of Pronger. It's pretty even a former MVP and Vezina winner for a Norris trophy winner.

After watching Rivet butcher his defensive zone covers over and over and Julien having pretty much no other option but to send him on the ice in the last minute Bo Gainey has to do something.

Rivet cost us the game. That was a bonehead play. He stood and watched the guy do it. No one else was around to cover. Even if he knocks him down and gets a penalty, it still saves a goal and allows the Habs to get a faceoff and re-gain posession. But not, he stood their and watched him, GODAMNIT!

Why not just ask LeCavalier for an autograph while you're at it.

Our D is average at best, Souray has not been the same since his injury, Markon has been to busy drawing penalties, Rivet is Rivet, Bouillion bless his heart is only 5'7" and Komi is a rook. In our last 3 playoff series we have watched the habs cough up a last minute lead three times!! Three wins in a series we were able to win. At least we aren't the Leafs!!

After the this season and the first round you could question Nik Lidstroms play, We don't have a D-man anywhere in the league of Chris Pronger, we do have a goalie who I believe can do what Theo can. Chris Pronger is still a top 4 Defeenceman in the league, is Theo a top 4 Goalie? That is the reason this deal makes sense, question marks on both sides.

Théo for Pronger ... :lol:

1, Andrei Markov is one of the most underrated defenceman in the league, he improved his play steadily since his father died earlier this year.

2, We'll have one of the best physical defenceman with Komisaurus in the next few years.

3, Why trading Théo ... only because he gave up some bad goals in the playoffs?

[Edited on 28-4-04 by habsfannr1]

Originally posted by habsfannr1

only because he gave up some bad goals in the playoffs?

That's a pretty big deal. :)

I wouldn't trade him for Pronger (too expensive) and I'm sure St. Louis wouldn't do it, but the series isn't over yet. I've always been a Theo fan, but he's very hard to like at times. Regardless, he needs to get back to his form for game four.

GO Habs GO.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Garon had played well, but not consistantly. He has not proven himself to be able to even hold his own in consecutive starts, because Theodore has been stealing the show. Garon's only real prayer is if (God forbid) Theo goes down with an injury next season and he has to play several games in a row.

Garon is a good goalie, could be a great goalie, but he needs a lot of work, and he needs to prove himself as a starting goaltender, not just a good backup.

Thoe for pronger - no way......

I would trade theo but not for pronger. There are a couple of teams that would want him. Perhaps Vancouver or the Sens.

Theo is NOT our future. Yes he is capable but he is not a series stealer.

Is Garon? I don't know, he has to play more than a couple of games a season to see that.

We need more than defence too. We still need a couple of BIG players to play upfront. We are quite small.....

What kind of question is this?

Of course not.. Would never make that trade.

Everyone is forgetting one important thing, Pronger's contract. It expires this year, he makes 10 million a year and needs to be qualified at $11 million a year in order to retain his services, its rumoured that the Blues might not qualify him (and he would become a UFA) ...

So no, I wouldnt trade Theodore for him.

PUCK 7x you have stated the crucial point. Money. Pronger might be a great D-man but at $10,000,000 per year and a tendency towards injuries? NO WAY!

Far better to continue to let Garon AND Theo develop - along with our defense. Patience. For the ten thousandth time I am grateful that BG is at the controls of the HABS. This unexpected progress will not cause him to throw his time-line for the club's development out the window. Some have asked if BG has the balls for this trade. Balls have nothing to do with it, only brains

PMAC :hlogo:

:ghg:

[Edited on 2004/4/29 by PMAC]

If you put money aside then yes I'd probably do the deal. If I had to choose one player(not including goalies) in the league I'd want to build my team around it would be Pronger. He has it all...and no he isn't injury prone as was mentioned earlier.

The problem with a straight up deal like that is obviously money. Considering their salaries I'd rather keep Theodore and use the extra 4 million Pronger would take to sign someone else.

I think Theodore CAN make the big saves and steal a series. I also think Garon can step in and fill Theodore's shoes if Theodore is dealt(and I doubt he will be).

Pronger's contract, especially considering the new pending CBA, and the fact that top tier goalies are so valuable vs. every other position means that Theodore is worth more IMO. St. Louis would have to qualify Pronger and pay half his salary for each year for me to do the deal. If they didn't want to do that they'd have to include a pretty good prospect with him...and they don't really have any.

[Edited on 2004/4/29 by Zowpeb]

Although he has been pretty durable, he missed almost all of last (2002-2003) season (played only 5 games). I agree thought that the trade would look good if StLouis paid half of his salary and threw in another player, but there is no way that they would do that. They would be curing their goalie woes by opening a huge hole on the defense- especially if McInnis does the expected and retires.

:hlogo: PMAC