Game Thread | Habs vs. Boston | 12/06/07

Spider-Man NL

7 points in the past 16 games then... Saku rarely sets up plays where you tell yourself "how could (insert line mate's name) miss that!?". Too bad NHL.com doesn't have turnovers stats anymore, I'm sure Koivu would be up there because he loses the puck awfully often by making soft passes.

Dont agree with it: make your case.

http://www.nhl.com/nhlstats/app?service=pa...eaways&pg=3

Saks is at number 90 in the league. Your boy Breezer is up there though :clap:

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Both of those statements are false. He's not being outproduced by the # 2 centre, and he's definitely not being outplayed by the #4 centre. Just ridiculous. Some people just get kicks out of knocking the guy. It's really getting old.

So you are happy with Koivu's play lately? Everything is fine???

People have no problem yakking on Ryder, Breezer, or anyone else. Koivu has not been playing like Koivu and if he doesn't turn it around this team is in trouble. Period.

If you read my post, you should know that I am not just blaming the wingers... I am blaming the entire line. That is my issue: people are only blaming Koivu when then are clearly more factors in play. You even mention that yourself.

do you read these boards??? There are a million posts about ryder, higgins, Lats...

Its not like people are saying Koivu is the only problem, but he is A problem, and he is the captain.. He needs to turn it around.

POSITIVES:

O'Byrne: played 14:30, didn't look nervous, picked up 2 assists, showed how stabilizing another defensive-minded RD could be.

Higgins: showed a little more fire than usual, and generated offense, showed leadership on the ice.

Bouillon: shut Reich up and killed any intimidation factor the Bruins might have tried to have.

Lapierre-Begin-Kosto: after the B's almost ran Price, they answered by doing the same to Rask on the next faceoff.

Dandeneault: didn't look out of place on the top line and his speed lead to the insurance goal Habs have so much trouble getting.

Price: buckled down after allowing 2 goals, shutting the door like a #1 goalie should.

NEGATIVES:

Injuries: Smoke and Begin down means we'll probably see Streit as a forward and Ryder back in the lineup next game.

2nd period breakdown: after leading 3-0 they let the B's back in the game by playing soft and getting penalties.

Streit: seems to have lost all confidence and creates too many turnovers.

Both of those statements are false. He's not being outproduced by the # 2 centre, and he's definitely not being outplayed by the #4 centre. Just ridiculous. Some people just get kicks out of knocking the guy. It's really getting old.

In the past 15 games or something (whenever his slump started), Koivu has been outproduced by Plekanec. He has also been outplayed by Chipchura, who's been one of our only consistant players throughout the entire season. Neither of those facts are true?

Higgins has started potting goals consistantly, so don't blame it on the wingers.

do you read these boards??? There are a million posts about ryder, higgins, Lats...

Its not like people are saying Koivu is the only problem, but he is A problem, and he is the captain.. He needs to turn it around.

I agree. My response was to those that were singling out Koivu.

Would be better if it could be only the Habs...

Markov, Breezer, Kovy, Komi, Plex, Saku in that order if I got it right... Streit leads in Takeaways... :wacko:

More ice time means more giveaways, so thats why breezer is really out of place.

Not that i think a whole lot of the stat to begin with when some of the top players in the league are near the top in giveaways.

In the past 15 games or something (whenever his slump started), Koivu has been outproduced by Plekanec. He has also been outplayed by Chipchura, who's been one of our only consistant players throughout the entire season. Neither of those facts are true?

Past 15 games:

Plekanec: 6 goals, 5 assists, 11 points, +2

Higgins: 7 goals, 3 assists, 10 points, +3

Chipchura: 1 goal, 5 assists, 6 points, even.

Koivu: 1 goal, 6 assists, 7 points, -6

So we have to you thank for his output tonight! Thanks, I've got him in 2 pools! :D

Funny everytime I drop somebody they light it up. I guess I should drop Pleks next

More ice time means more giveaways, so thats why breezer is really out of place.

Not that i think a whole lot of the stat to begin with when some of the top players in the league are near the top in giveaways.

Dont they have a ratio G/T? That's more telling...

NEGATIVES:

Injuries: Smoke and Begin down means we'll probably see Streit as a forward and Ryder back in the lineup next game.

Those are blessings.

Smoke sucks and Laps can do what Begin does for half the price. Bring up S Kost and put Ryder back in the Habs get more offence and less deteriorating players.

People have no problem yakking on Ryder, Breezer, or anyone else. Koivu has not been playing like Koivu and if he doesn't turn it around this team is in trouble. Period.

No, I definitely think he can play much better. But the stats say he is not being outproduced by the 2nd line centre, and my eyes say he's not being outplayed by the 4th.

No, I definitely think he can play much better. But the stats say he is not being outproduced by the 2nd line centre, and my eyes say he's not being outplayed by the 4th.

Higgins has started potting goals consistantly, so don't blame it on the wingers.

How many points does Pleks have and how many does Koivu have. Who is outproducing who? Outplayed by Chipchura? No.

Those are blessings.

Smoke sucks and Laps can do what Begin does for half the price. Bring up S Kost and put Ryder back in the Habs get more offence and less deteriorating players.

i tend to agree. Smoke really doesn't bring anything to the table is actually a liability out there. Id say try Ryder back on the top line, move Streit up front. Bring in Gorges, Bouillon to the pressbox.

Markov-Komisarek

Hamrlik-O'Byrne

Gorges-Brisebois

Although i have a hard time benching bouillon after he admirably stood up for himself today but still...

How many points does Pleks have and how many does Koivu have. Who is outproducing who? Outplayed by Chipchura? No.

Past 15 games:

Plekanec: 6 goals, 5 assists, 11 points, +2

Chipchura: 1 goal, 5 assists, 6 points, even.

Koivu: 1 goal, 6 assists, 7 points, -6

Uggh. Like I said since Koivu's slump started. Plekanec's line has been the only threat for a while now, he's technically been our #1 centre. If you're looking at season totals, Koivu and Plekanec are now tied in points and Plekanec has more goals - but Koivu started off with a big headstart, since his slump has begun, he's been outproduced handily.

You seem to not have much respect for Chipchura. He's played his role to perfection - he plays well defensively, works hard, plays consistantly and leads by example. Koivu doesn't do those things much as he's an offensive player. So what happens when an offensive player isn't doing much offensively? He becomes redundant, just like Ryder is when he doesn't score. Koivu has been playing pretty well in the past few games, but Chipchura has also been playing pretty well. The difference is that Chips is a rookie, with much lower expectations.

There is no excuse for Koivu's play. I'm not saying he should be traded or taken off the first line but he hasn't been playing well and denying it serves no purpose at all. He deserves to take the blame: he's the captain and the one who ought to be leading this team right now. But now we're relying on guys like Dandenault, Begin, Kostopoulos and Begin (and let's not forget our goalies) to win games. That is the type of team Carbo wants us to be but we need the vets to buy into the system and they are not doing it.

Anyone check-out the conference standings? I've never seen it like this. 3 point separates 2nd to 8th. Everyone is friggin almost tied after 1/3rd of the season.

It's going to be an interesting year. Must get to winning again.

Yep... and only 2 teams are playing under .500 in the entire conference!

And Buffalo is last in our division, just 12 pts (6 wins) away from top team Ottawa.

It'll really come down to goaltending, and not just 1 goalie but tandems... Emery-Gerber, Huet-Price-Halak, Fernandez-Thomas-Auld-Rask, Toskala-Raycroft, Miller-Thibault... I like our chances.

How does Smolinski get the first line spot???? Please, please please, put Lats there, or even Ryder, or even Lappy for God's sake, but NOT Smolinski.

I hope Smoke has his foot runover by a snowplow.

heheh... are you feeling just a little guilty now, JMMR? I am, but I'm also relieved that the guy won't play for a bit.

heheh... are you feeling just a little guilty now, JMMR? I am, but I'm also relieved that the guy won't play for a bit.

Yeah I asked for it and I got it.

Feel guilty no I am very happy big party in Kingston!

I guess I missed something.. what happened to Slowinski?

Ran into Lucic and hurt himself!!!

Yeah I asked for it and I got it.

Feel guilty no I am very happy big party in Kingston!

Ran into Lucic and hurt himself!!!

lol. Darn?

Uggh. Like I said since Koivu's slump started. Plekanec's line has been the only threat for a while now, he's technically been our #1 centre. If you're looking at season totals, Koivu and Plekanec are now tied in points and Plekanec has more goals - but Koivu started off with a big headstart, since his slump has begun, he's been outproduced handily.

You seem to not have much respect for Chipchura. He's played his role to perfection - he plays well defensively, works hard, plays consistantly and leads by example. Koivu doesn't do those things much as he's an offensive player. So what happens when an offensive player isn't doing much offensively? He becomes redundant, just like Ryder is when he doesn't score. Koivu has been playing pretty well in the past few games, but Chipchura has also been playing pretty well. The difference is that Chips is a rookie, with much lower expectations.

There is no excuse for Koivu's play. I'm not saying he should be traded or taken off the first line but he hasn't been playing well and denying it serves no purpose at all. He deserves to take the blame: he's the captain and the one who ought to be leading this team right now. But now we're relying on guys like Dandenault, Begin, Kostopoulos and Begin (and let's not forget our goalies) to win games. That is the type of team Carbo wants us to be but we need the vets to buy into the system and they are not doing it.

I love Chips, but I'm not placing him ahead of Koivu.

As far as Pleks outproducing Koivu "in the last 15 games", thats great, but there are 80 plus games in a season as I'm sure all of us are dreadfully aware. Let's talk about full season production, shall we..instead of arbitrarily picking 15 games and annointing Koivu the 3rd best centre.