If you were Gainey, what would you do?

puck7x

Simple question... What changes would you make to the Habs team?

Here's my answer....

- Decline Brisebois's option year

- Sign UFA Brisebois for 1-2 million (something cheap)

- Try to sign Kovalev, if that doesnt work go after Palffy hard. We need an elite winger.

- Try to sign one top quality defender, my ideal choices are Adam Foote, Mike Rathje, or Sergei Zubov (Dallas-Gainey connection). They'll all cost different amounts, but we definitely need one of these guys (or someone similar).

When all is said and done...

Zednik - Koivu - Kovalev

Perezhogin - Ribeiro - Ryder

Bulis - Bonk - Sundstrom

Higgins - Begin - Ward

Extras: Plekanec/Hossa possibly Dagenais (just as long as he's not a top-2 liner for us)

Markov - Foote

Souray - Komisarek

Rivet - Brisebois (yeah I know, they're both RD's, oh well)

Bouillon/Hainsey

Theodore

Huet

I think I'm being realistic here. The only UFA's I signed we're a guy we already had from the last NHL season (Kovalev) and a upper-mid level D-man. Much less then what a delusional leafs fan would predict/hope for their team :)

So what would you do?

[Edited on 2005-7-16 by puck7x]

I'd do something quite similar... but my ideal changes would be:

On defence:

- buyout Breezer & Rivet

- sign Zubov & Foote

On offense:

- sign Kovy

- buy out Sunny.. his signing was a mistake, his roster spot is a missed opportunity to add size & grit to the lineup

- sign Lapointe

- sign tough guy

Zednik-Koivu-Kovalev

Ryder-Ribeiro-Perezhogin

Bulis-Bonk-Hossa

???-Begin-Lapointe

* ??? can either be a prospect or goon depending on opponent.

Souray-Zubov

Markov-Foote

Komisarek-Rivet

Hainsey

Sign the Cube to a generous AHL deal for added insurance if you want, and re-sign UFA Beauchemin to anchor the Dogs regardless.

-----------------------------------------

If Hossa or even Perezhogin hit a slump or major growing pains... Lapointe can always move up for a time if needed.

We still have Ward or Plekanec as a cheap extra forward depending which way we want to go.

-----------------------------------------

As for what I think WILL happen... I'd be very surprised if Rivet was bought out, and I wouldn't be shocked if Breezer remained a Habs re-signing at a much lower salary.

Kovy could return to Pittsburgh as Mario said he would target him and they have money to spend.

Plan B's could include Jeff O'Neil whom I believe Gainey strongly considered trading for at the deadline 2 years ago... but O'Neil got injured and that ended that.

O'Neil is a good candidate to get bought out by Carolina... so he will probably be available.

On defense... if by chance we don't bring back either Breezy and/or Rivet and we can't land our first choices (Zubov/Foote)... then plan B's could include Rathje or de Vries who should be available.

As for tough guys... Brashear will probably be bought out if we're interested in having a true heavyweight that can actually play, a little ;)

[Edited on 16-7-05 by Habs77]

Personally, I expect very little in the free agent market from the Habs, other than going after re-signing Kovalev or another comparable forward, and a replacement d-man for Brisebois. I do not anticipate that Rivet or anyone else will be bought out, there's a reason Gainey gave Sundstrom 2 years, he won't be bought out. (Not sure what the reason is, but there was one.)

To my understanding, although it is a team option on Brisebois, it also involves a buyout if the option is declined (1 M). Because of that, he would be classified as a 'bought out' player, and thus, would not be able to return to the team for a calendar year.

The Habs will not go straight up to the 39 million ceiling (at least they better not). As I mentioned in my cap article (shameless plug), because the cap can fluctuate both up and down (and given that the league thinks they can generate $1.8 B in revenue, it'll go down for next season), teams have to have some wiggle room. Also, because no more than 39 can be spent for the entire season, I would expect the Habs to consider making a mid-season move with less of a cap hit at this time. Of course, this is only speculation, and it can all change depending on who becomes available, and all that jazz.

Luckily for you. Im not Bob Gainey.

But I would like to have Brisebois on the team. It feels nice to have at least on player on the squad that knows what it takes to win the cup for the Habs. And no, Im not beeing ironical. Remember how he changed last season (there was hockey)?

I would try to get Andrei Markov to stay in Montreal. Alltough I beleive many players will choose Russia in favour for the NHL. Washington may have done the worst draftchoice ever when they picked Ovechkin. I've heard rumours saying Malkin will stay in Russia too. The same thing may be true about Perezhogin. Right now I think this is the most interesting issue right now. What will Russian hockeyplayers do?

I would try to get Ian Laperriere. Cheap and will do well.

Perr... You know.

Jan Bulis and Radek Bonk. I don't know. Would rather have Sundström, Perreault and Lapperier on a third line.

Dagenais, Begin and a prospect on the fourth.

Originally posted by dlbalr

Personally, I expect very little in the free agent market from the Habs, other than going after re-signing Kovalev or another comparable forward, and a replacement d-man for Brisebois. I do not anticipate that Rivet or anyone else will be bought out, there's a reason Gainey gave Sundstrom 2 years, he won't be bought out. (Not sure what the reason is, but there was one.)

I agree with all of the above... but the question was what would YOU do if you were BG.

The Habs will not go straight up to the 39 million ceiling (at least they better not). As I mentioned in my cap article (shameless plug), because the cap can fluctuate both up and down (and given that the league thinks they can generate $1.8 B in revenue, it'll go down for next season), teams have to have some wiggle room.

Isn't that why they'll have 15% of the player salaries go into an escrow account... and that amount will be returned to the teams if they don't meet the league revenue projections.

So no need for wiggle room, they've taken care of that.

Also, because no more than 39 can be spent for the entire season, I would expect the Habs to consider making a mid-season move with less of a cap hit at this time.

I'm sure quite a few teams will do that... I will mention that with the increased importance of draft picks in the CBA, IMO, and the fact the trading deadline has been moved up in the new CBA... that should curtail a lot of the deadline boosting that has gone on in the past.

But yes some teams will leave themselves room to boost the team later in the year.

But then again with the number of teams making the playoffs going up to 20, and the deadline being moved up... practically every team will probably still have a shot at the playoffs at the deadline, so who's gonna be left to offer up quality players to boost other teams?

The pickings might be very slim...

If I were the Big G, I'd:

- Resign a UFA Brisebois for $1-2 million for 2 years (releasing him first, of course)

- Buyout Sundstrom and Dagenais (with the provision that we get the LW listed below)

- Attempt to sign Kovalev. If he can be got for under $5 million, also go for Leclair. I don't care what you say, he'd be a great addition to the team. Powerful, smart, a good team player, and an ex-habs. I'm sure Brisebois would appreciate it, and that might, just might, offset the Brisebois Streak (1 good year, 1 bad year, 1 good year, 1 bad year, etc.)

- Sign Zubov (yeah, there's a cap, I'm just aiming for the cup in the first year), so our Russian Connection, can dominate both the PP and the 4-on-4 and 3-on-3 overtime (Kovalev, Markov, Zubov, perhaps Zhog?)

Ultimately:

Leclair-Koivu-Kovalev : (Goal-a-game!)

Zednik-Ribeiro-Ryder : (Probably one of the best 2nd lines out there)

Bulis-Bonk-Ward : (Solid defensively, and can chip in goals too)

Higgins-Begin-Plekanec : (Iffy... I'd prefer a fighter instead, but Ivanans? Better to be fast, soft and good defensively, than tough and slow)

Spares: Hossa, Ivanans

I'm counting on there being less fighting with the increased scoring.

On D:

Markov - Zubov : (Rushin Conneckshin)

Souray - Brisebois : (As long as Brisebois keeps trying to play a solid game in his own zone, like he did last year, it'll work well)

Komisarek - Rivet : (Rivet's final year {hopefully} imparts knowledge to the padawan Darth Komi)

ugh, nerd. :eyes:

Spares: Hainsey, Rubix (...Cube...)

(maybe I'm taking the whole nickname thing a little too far)

Theo and Huet, ja.

Make or break year for Hainsey & Hossa.

This is also counting on us not getting Crosby. It's time for us to get over it, and start the coutndown clock for:

7th of August, 2014

Happy 27th birthday, Sidney! Welcome to the team!

Looking forward to the rebirth of the NHL, of HabsWorld.net, of Les SKIV (that's 4 in Roman Numerals), and of the Habs.

:ghg:

Originally posted by ch_nl

Dagenais, Begin and a prospect on the fourth.

Dags can't be on the fourth line. He is a one-dimensional player; he doesn't play good D, he doesn't skate well, he doesn't use his body like he should.

He shoots. And he does that very well.

And while I fully agree with most who say he is a Press Box player, (a guy who comes in when someone is injured or just needs a break,) he has to jump to the second line to be effective. The man scored 17 times with limited ice time. But that limited time was usually with Ribs at his side.

You can't put him on your 4th line. Make him an extra in your projected lineups, or maybe the 3rd line (or the 2nd if you really think the Habs can't find better,) but 4th liners are defensively sound, gritty fighters. Dagenais is not that by any stretch of the imagination.

My changes:

Sign Kovalev or a Kovalev equivalent. - :contract: Gainey set the bar high with that trade. I, as well as most fans, now require an Elite winger beside Koivu for this, and hopefully many more, seasons to come. Anything less will be deemed a failure.

Sign D help - Anyone that can contribute. Yes, Foote would contribute more than most, but even if we can't sign a top D man, I would take anyone. Hainsey or Boullion as the 6th D is murder. I'd rather Hainsey prove what it is that he's got with limited ice time to start. If he turns out to be what he was supposed to be, then he gets more. If he busts, then he can be used as Souray's slapshot target for practices.

But that's it. I have faith in the graduating forward prospects this year, and would rather they play than sign more help. If the kids suck, c'est la vie. If they flourish, I'll see you on St Catherine for the parade. :/)

Yes no doubt, if we want to win something this season, we surely need a Kovalev type of player.

Another weak point is the defence, though I don't know right now who'll be available and who not. Will there be more UFA's than a year ago or are there still the same available players around? You wrote something about guys like Foote (which would be awesome if we could get such a great d-man), Zubov, etc. They weren't UFA's last season and I though that those guys would remain with their teams (would only become available if the team decideds to buy them out)?

Originally posted by HABS Fan Nr.1

Will there be more UFA's than a year ago or are there still the same available players around? You wrote something about guys like Foote (which would be awesome if we could get such a great d-man), Zubov, etc. They weren't UFA's last season and I though that those guys would remain with their teams (would only become available if the team decideds to buy them out)?

There will be many more UFAs, since 2004-2005 contracts are not being honored. That means all unsigned UFAs from last summer are available, as well as all players whose contracts ended after what should have been the 2004-2005 season.

Try to sign one top quality defender

Rumours say that Blake will b e cut by the Avs, not Foote. Plus Scott Niedermayer is a UFA regardless.

Not to sound too much like a Leaf fan, but imagine Niedermayer in Montreal? Man that would be sweet.

However, I am sure a star you could get for a decent price would be Paul Kariya. I've always wanted to see him play for the Habs. He's kinda fallen below the radar in recent years, however I think he's still a point-per-game player.

[Edited on 2005/7/16 by Leafs Suck]

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

There will be many more UFAs, since 2004-2005 contracts are not being honored. That means all unsigned UFAs from last summer are available, as well as all players whose contracts ended after what should have been the 2004-2005 season.

Not bad. Do you know an updated full UFA list?

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Buy out Briesbois and Rivet. And if LeCavalier is an FA, sign him.

Call me evil, but I'd consider letting Koivu go in order to sign LeCavalier.

Lecavalier would be great but not for Koivu. I don't know why lots of you would rather like to see Koivu going instead of this one dimensional Ribeiro. As I said before, we surely need a better player than Ribeiro if we want to win something.

[Edited on 16-7-05 by HABS Fan Nr.1]

Paul Kariya?

Put him om the same line as Koivu and force Ribs to play right wing and the Habs has their Midget-Line. Imagine.

Philly had their Legion of Doom we had Midget-Line...

If I could choose whom ever I wanted I would take Crosby.

Koivu and Theodore are the only untouchables. Ryder and Ribeiro are semi-untouchables.

And if LeCavalier is an FA, sign him.

I'd have no problem with that, but the only way that happens is if TB decided they can only afford to 2 of their top three players, and choose St. Louis and Richards. Otherwise, since he's a RFA, he won't be moving that easily.

And to Habs Fan Nr. 1, my guess is that why Leafs Suck suggested getting rid of Koivu to mke room for Vinny is that it would be tough to afford both Koivu and Vinny, if we expect to sign an upper tier D-man.

[Edited on 7-16-05 by Fanpuck33]

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

Not bad. Do you know an updated full UFA list?

http://www.geocities.com/floridapanthers20...0/free2005.html

[Edited on 2005/7/16 by Leafs Suck]

Damn! that gave me heart pain. :nono:

Koivu deserves to play atleast one season with 2 solid wingers. I thought he was incredible last playoffs with Kovy. LeCavalier is younger and obviously very talented. I want them both.

I think I would make or break the young guys. Enough is enough. It is time for Hainsey and Hossa especially to "shit or get off the pot."

I do not expect the Habs to go diving deep into the upcoming free agent feeding frenzy. I think they should wait and I believe they will.

:ghg:

the only way that happens is if TB decided they can only afford to 2 of their top three players, and choose St. Louis and Richards

Rumour has it that Tampa will try and re-sign Bulin and VL will have to be the odd man out.

If I were Tampa, I'd rather dump St.Louis. He's older and BR19 and VL4 have alot more upside. Yes I am aware I suggested the Stanley Cup champions get rid of their top scorer. Nothing against STL I'd just rather have those two.

Besides, say VL4 does become a free agent, name me a place that is more of a perfect fit then Montreal?

Maybe let Ribeiro go and Vinny will sign for less.

I'd like to talk about the habs... but you all pretty much covered it.. lol... just get Kovy back and sign a D....

Umm, as for Tampa... To me, i think it would b impossible for them to keep both Lecavalier and Richards. These guys can both be #1 centers in the league. It will be hard to keep them both under the same roof with the cap/etc.

Personally, I think Richards is better than Lecavalier, so let VC go, and come to Montreal ;). That would be sweet. It's hard to imagine it actually happening tho.

Thx. That's tons of quality UFA's, Gainey will surely sign one of these guys.

Because some guys mentioned the Gainey-Dallas connection ... Numminen is also a UFA, next to Zubov. He still might be a very solid 3rd pairing D-man. He's a great leader and very good defencively. Though I don't know how serious is heart problems are and if he'll ever play again in the NHL.

Deadmarsh - any news about his situation? He might be a steal but on the other hand he's surely a big risk. I can remember when he played for the AVS, a pretty solid guy. But like Numminen, I don't know his health situation and if he'll ever play again.

And what's with Dowd as our 4th line player? Gainey deeply wanted a right handed center and if he doesn't re-sign Dowd, we won't have one again. I think that this guy would be a great addition to our team - he has the heart, is a very good checking line center and he wants to play in Montréal.

D-men I'd look at:

*Foote

*Zhitnik

Neidermeyer

Gonchar

*Zubov

Numminen

Wingers I'd look at:

*Kovalev

Palffy

*Demitra

Stillman

Carter

Mogilny

*Naslund

*Murray

Selanne

Kariya

Forsberg

*Shannahan

The guys with an asterisk next to their names are the guys I think would fit the best with out current team...assuming we're relatively similar to our last roster.

We need a d-man like Foote or Zhitnik.

I also think a winger with size would be ideal for Koivu's line...though I put an asterisk next to Demitra and Naslund because they're that damn good...lol. Of course, dollars is the limiting factor still with what we'll actually have to spend...

I could see Foote and Kovalev being feasible with our dollars...

Gainey will, I presume, offer Koivu a multiple years contract. Last year's Gainey's intention to give koivu talented wingers to play with will remain.

If a big two-way forward like Bonk would play well on the wing with koivu, Gainey would only need to get the best winger availlable as UFA,...Kovalev, Dimitra,...etc.

This would relocate Zednick on the second line with our young rising talents (Ribero, Ryder) and create as an exciting and productive second line as we can hope for.

Third and fourth line will host speciality players for killing penaltys (Bulis, Ward, Begin, etc) and the new recruits (Perezhoggin, Higgins, Plekanec, Hossa) polishing their two-way play under coach Julien.

Fearless bruiser like Ivanans and the like could be used as reserviste for when need be.

Defensively speaking, as long as Markov is part of the allignement and that Hainsey would fit the bill as a reserviste ( replacing Bouillon once and a while), Gainey might not risk a buy-out and leave himself expose un-able to attrack a defensive UFA in Montreal or will he ?

Essentially, One big move is required for the CH to be competitive with their immediate neighbours and to move along its original path of speed and talents that best caracterised the CH logo and wath could be the league own tendency in the future.

In this set-up, great snipper Dagenais would be releived from its fonction on the second line and doubt about its effectiveness and re-assignement down the lines,.. so its great last year's contribution might have been its last for the CH. What would do Gainey with Sundstrom in his last year's contract ? I dont know.

I am shure the CH is officially over its pre Savard-Gainey's years slump, and that is really all I care.

Perhaps we can also change our UFA list:

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=627

I could do that if you want.

At this point I think it would be a better idea to just start a whole new article for a UFA list. Just like it would be a good idea to start a new article for Canadiens contract information, I'd like to keep the old ones around as archives. Its an easy way to find out how much a player was making in a certain year, or when he was a UFA. Go right ahead and do that if you want hannes... Thanks :)