Belfour won't last

Funk Doc

with all the shots that the leafs are giving up this season, ed belfour won't be able to save that many and play that hard, game in and game out

hes too old and wont be able to go a long, tough season, when he has to stop 50 shots a game. Especially not anymore with all the injuries he has substained.

thats why i feel that the leafs are lucky right now and the luck will soon run out.

You're right Funk Doc, goaltending wins championships, and with Ed Belfour as the #1 in Toronto, the leafs have a serious problem. You can stack up all the offensive powers in the world, if you don't have a goaltender to back it up, you won't last long. Jean-Francois Racine is a talent, but that won't help them much in the short stretch. The leafs are in the same situation as the Flyers, but that's fine by me.

Belfour saw lots of rubber last night.

Not every save was great but he did what is required by a goalie, the last one was not scored on him. Keep in mind Boston got 4 goals I don't consider that to be great, maybe even below average. And the flock on TSN website(Your Call) were saying how great he is, even all time. hehehehehehe his Stanley Cup win, NO GOAL!

Off topic, whats up in Buffalo? Those guys are playing incredible. I can't wait to see them pot a few against Eddie B.

I don't care if you have Jacques Plante or Georges Vézina in goal, if you give up 40-50 shots a game eventually your team will lose. Their D is garbage. Funny, everyone hates on Berg and Belak (rightfully so) but they only play, what... 15 minutes a game? I doubt all 50 shots on goal happen when they're on the ice... that whole team has no idea what they're going in their own zone.

The Leafs will lose to the first decent team they play in the playoffs (if they even make it that far)

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

Belfour saw lots of rubber last night.

Not every save was great but he did what is required by a goalie, the last one was not scored on him. Keep in mind Boston got 4 goals I don't consider that to be great, maybe even below average. And the flock on TSN website(Your Call) were saying how great he is, even all time. hehehehehehe his Stanley Cup win, NO GOAL!

Off topic, whats up in Buffalo? Those guys are playing incredible. I can't wait to see them pot a few against Eddie B.

I'm going to answer that question with another question. You have to follow baseball more than a bit to answer this and so to make the connection.

Do you remember, this past season, the Baltimore Orioles up until the beginning of July?

Well, there you go.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

U shouldnt ignore Michael Tellqvist... He knows what its like to win championships. I think he won 2 straight years in Sweden with Djurgården. He is good... u guys just havent been able to see it yet. Same with Lundqvist. Lundqvist and Tellqvist are the two best goalieprospects out of sweden in a LOOOONG time.

Originally posted by shortcat1

Do you remember, this past season, the Baltimore Orioles up until the beginning of July?

Well, there you go.

very true... I don't know if the sabres have that kind of staying power...

Originally posted by Funk Doc

shortcat u are exactly right

the toronto maple leafs are gonna be the baltimore orioles of hockey.

start out good, then fade away throughout the season

Haha yes, as injuries, fatigue and nursing home reservations are made!

shortcat1 the Baltimore example is good. Even I thought they were going to make the playoffs as they could do no wrong. Same thing for the Washington MLBA team. They were just crazy and winning most nights, then, nothing....

Who would have thought the contenders would turn into the pretenders? Probably simonus as he knows stats and sports better than many people I talk to at work and friends.

well... i dont know about predicting flops. Traditionally there are certain stats that indicate a team playing above or below their ability.

In baseball there is BABIP - how often a ball is put in play per batting attempt. If a pitcher has a high BABIP, he should be giving up runs. If he isnt, it probably means that he is getting 'lucky'. If the pitcher has a low BABIP and is giving up runs, he is probably 'unlucky'.

In hockey, one can look at SOG or SHOOTING%.

Look at the Toronto Maple Leafs, constantly getting outshot and their goalie stats are less than stellar (not to mention they got 2 'free points' in OTL). How can you get outshot, have a bad SVG and win games? On the longterm it is virtually impossible. I don't buy a team being 25th in SOGA and being 3rd in GFA, it doesn't make sense.

Philly on the other hand shows that they are playing below themselves. They are 2nd in SOGA, 1st in GFA, and have an unbelievable +11.8 SOG differential (2nd place Detroit has a +7.4, 8th place Montreal has +5, 26th place TOR has -6.3). They have a respectable +1.17 Goal differential (5th in the league, MON is 13th with +.5). This team should not be losing. Of course a lot of their problems seem to be with special teams, but tonights game seems to show that they suffered from the fallacy of small numbers.

In other words, statistically speaking - Philly is contender (although I think they are fundamentally flawed), and TO is pretender. QID.

Originally posted by simonus

well... i dont know about predicting flops.  Traditionally there are certain stats that indicate a team playing above or below their ability.  

In baseball there is BABIP - how often a ball is put in play per batting attempt.  If a pitcher has a high BABIP, he should be giving up runs.  If he isnt, it probably means that he is getting 'lucky'.  If the pitcher has a low BABIP and is giving up runs, he is probably 'unlucky'.  

In hockey, one can look at SOG or SHOOTING%.  

Look at the Toronto Maple Leafs, constantly getting outshot and their goalie stats are less than stellar (not to mention they got 2 'free points' in OTL).  How can you get outshot, have a bad SVG and win games?  On the longterm it is virtually impossible.  I don't buy a team being 25th in SOGA and being 3rd in GFA, it doesn't make sense.

Philly on the other hand shows that they are playing below themselves.  They are 2nd in SOGA, 1st in GFA, and have an unbelievable +11.8 SOG differential (2nd place Detroit has a +7.4, 8th place Montreal has +5, 26th place TOR has -6.3).  They have a respectable +1.17 Goal differential (5th in the league, MON is 13th with +.5).  This team should not be losing.  Of course a lot of their problems seem to be with special teams, but tonights game seems to show that they suffered from the fallacy of small numbers.

In other words, statistically speaking - Philly is contender (although I think they are fundamentally flawed), and TO is pretender.  QID.

Great comments.

I've heard of QED. What is QID?

the leafarazzi is spining the game against boston as another great peformance by belfour. well frankly Boston's 4th goal was ######ed. WTF was Belfour doing standing out there? If the Leafs didn't tie it up, Belfour would be hung for that. And frankly, Boston is a joke. They had a 5on3 late in the third, plus a 4on3 powerplay in OT for like 3 and a half minutes and they couldn't score. That is pathetic IMO.