Call up Hainsey/CBJ Claim Him

GoHabs2002

Originally posted by High&Inside

Another first round pick wasted.

Yeah, but Gainey knew it was a calculated risk to call him up, and decided to take it. Otherwise, he stays in the AHL until next season, when he finally makes the Habs... or not. If he was a surefire prospect, this risk wouldn't have been taken. (If he was surefire, he'd be in his 2nd or 3rd full year with the Habs!)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know which irritates me more: the fact that we lost a potentially good young player for nothing or the fact that we(or at least GG) have to pay for the privilege:mad:

Originally posted by Mont Royale
Originally posted by High&Inside

Another first round pick wasted.

Yeah, but Gainey knew it was a calculated risk to call him up, and decided to take it. Otherwise, he stays in the AHL until next season, when he finally makes the Habs... or not. If he was a surefire prospect, this risk wouldn't have been taken. (If he was surefire, he'd be in his 2nd or 3rd full year with the Habs!)

Think it was a miscalculated risk. I'm not in the know, but my sense is that the probabilities of a $225,000 former first rounder who still has some potential being claimed by one of 29 teams is pretty high. By miscalculating his risk, the Habs did not improve their current dman shortage situation one bit.....all they did was lose what is VERY SADLY our top dman prospect.

Originally posted by habscout

What's the source for Cote's call up, as I haven't seen anything to confirm that yet.

Originally posted by Leafs Suck

Cote was also recalled. Nice to see Benoit keeps getting looked over.

http://www.canadiens.com/eng/news/redirect...newsItemID=4568

Canadiens call up Cote

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20051129...1006/CPSPORTS01

Le Canadien rappelle Jean-Philippe Côté

[Edited on 29-11-05 by mathieug]

Did Gainey called up both kids together, or did they call up Hainsey first and then called up Coté after CBS picked up Hainsey?

I thought Côté had a pretty good camp and had passed Hainsey in the depth chart. So calling Hainsey first knowing he had to go through waivers is a puzzling move by Gainey. Its as if he wanted to get rid of Hainsey, somehow.

Although that is negated if both kids were called up at the same time.

That being said, anyone worried/suprised that Gainey isnt trying to get a d-man via trade? I dont think it'd cost that much to get a decent depth d-man from another team.

There are rumors in RDS.CA That BG is bartering with the Blue Jackets cause od the "steal" ... COME ON we lost Hainsey Blue JAckets dont owe anyone anything... Sure if they waiver somebody too we wont have a second thought if were interested but forget returns from Waiver loses... did we give Buffalo anything for Begin? noo

Originally posted by ch_nl

Didn't the Blue Jackets claim Becuhemin last year?

Anyway, good luck Ron. Maybe a change of scenery will do good.

What is a Becuhemin? Francois Beauchemin?

Originally posted by Mont Royale
Originally posted by Rooster

.....all they did was lose what is VERY SADLY our top dman prospect.

For how many years has he been our top dman prospect?

Too many, that's why it's sad. But the fact still remains.

If Hainsey could not make Montreal's squad, then there is something wrong. Streit is ok in some games and just terrible in other games. If Hainsey could not beat this guy out of a job then there was no hope for him. Normally I wish X-Habs well when they move onto other teams but this time all I can say is: I Never Knew Him.

But good luck anyway...

Originally posted by dark_faerie87

Hmmm, I was just over reading the Sportsnet boards and apparently Columbus now has 10 defencemen signed including Hainsey. Perhaps a trade?

Let's see:

Richardson

Foote (IR)

Berard

Westcott

Suchy

Tollefsen

Johnson

Hulse

Hainsey

Klesla (IR)

Look for Tollefsen to be returned to the AHL. When Foote returns, look for Richardson to be moved, as he recently stepped down as captain and seems fed up with the organization. When Klesla returns, it's between Johnson and Hainsey as to who goes down. Johnson is probably better, but does not need to pass waivers.

[Edited on 11-30-05 by Fanpuck33]

Hainsey is actually playing in Columbus! He played 2 games thus far and he sees an average of 16' a game (14' in game 1, a SO-win over Minnesota, 17'55" in game 2, a 4-1 loss against St. Louis). +/- 0! Adrenaline?

Originally posted by Howie_Morenz

If Hainsey could not make Montreal's squad, then there is something wrong. Streit is ok in some games and just terrible in other games. If Hainsey could not beat this guy out of a job then there was no hope for him. Normally I wish X-Habs well when they move onto other teams but this time all I can say is: I Never Knew Him.

But good luck anyway...

I always hope the best for them. May it be, for them, that they just couldn't fit into the Montreal mentality or something like that.

I'm happy for Brisebois. If it goes in a similar way for Hainsey, then good for him.

:hlogo::ghg::hlogo:

Sorry to keep this ghost in the closet... but Corvina here speculating of course...

My question is... And PLEASE frogive me if this was answered already! If the jackets trade Hainsey this season .. Habs still have to pay half his salary?

Originally posted by CoRvInA

Sorry to keep this ghost in the closet... but Corvina here speculating of course...

My question is... And PLEASE frogive me if this was answered already! If the jackets trade Hainsey this season .. Habs still have to pay half his salary?

The answer is yes. I had a reference when I checked this in October. Maybe I'll try to track it down.