The Next Number That Gets Retired

mathieu30

found inspiration for this one on rds.ca

OK, there's something wrong here. Tried a poll. Gave different options. Tbrnk. Doesn't work.

#18 Serge Savard

#19 Larry Robinson

#23 Bob Gainey

#29 Ken Dryden

#33 Patrick Roy

Can someone explain to me how to make a "real" poll?

Thanks.

*Tbrnk!*

Edited by mathieu30

id say 33 Roy... they'll wait for the others to die B4 they retire the numbers, costs less that way...

Boom Boom was overdue, its all I meant by that...

That's a bit harsh.

My bet, Robinson

Like I said, I can get pretty harsh...

But The Boomer retired a looong time ago, and yet, his number took way too long to retire... How long did it take for Colorado to retire Roy's number? yeah...

Big Bird, Dryden, Gainey, Savard and Roy, that's my order.

Same here. I can almost guarantee that Robinson goes next. I'm not sure we'll retire Roy though considering how he played his last seasons in Colorado (and not just 2 in another city like Geoffrion did but for a bunch of seasons).

At this pace we're going to run out of numbers to wear.

Can someone explain to me how to make a "real" poll?

Thanks.

Not quite sure why you're having so much trouble putting a poll up. I just tried one and it worked fine.

All I did was:

"Click here to manage this topic's poll"

"Add Poll Question", type in question

"Add Poll Choice", type in choice

Type in any message

Submit Post

Not quite sure why you're having so much trouble putting a poll up. I just tried one and it worked fine.

All I did was:

"Click here to manage this topic's poll"

"Add Poll Question", type in question

Type in any message

Submit Post

That's what I tried. Didn't work.

Robinson is a given. Nobody wore #19 since he left for LA and that was almost 20 years ago.

Same thing with Roy. Gone for 10 years and nobody wore the #33. He might have to wait another 10 years though. He's too recent.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Larry Robinson have the 5th most points in franchise history. And from a defenceman.

2 Norris Trophies, 1 Conn Smythe, 10 All star games, 958 Regular Season Points, 6 Stanley Cups, 144 Playoff Points.

No question in my mind Big Bird gets the next call. Unless there is someone else from the 50's era that I don't know about.

I find that they are retiring too many numbers. Numbers sould only be retired for exceptional players that have marked hockey, or at least the Canadiens, in a signicant manner. There should only be a handful of players throughout the entire league to see their number retired; there are already too many in Montreal.

Rocket Richard was the first to score 50 goals in 50 games, that's significant. Boom Boom changed hockey with his slap shot, that's significant. Gretzky has rewritten the entire record book, that's significant. Bobby Orr re-invented the role of a defenseman, that's significant.

I don't want to take anything away from great players like Cournoyer, Robinson, Gainey, or even Patrick Roy, they have had fantastic careers, but what did they do that was so remarkable? You could maybe argue that Roy perfected the butterfly style, and that he inspired many young Quebec goalies, so maybe he deserves to see his number retired. However, as good as Robinson was, so have many other defenseman througout history. Has he done much more than Niklas Lidstrom for instance? What about Serge Savard? Sure, he was big, reliable, and had a bit of an offensive game, but what has he done that was so remarkable? Was he better than Chris Pronger?

For great players, there is the Hall of Fame; the players I mentionned deserve to be introduced, without a doubt. However, retiring numbers should reserved for rare, truly exceptional accomplishments.

Edited by CerebusClone

So Jacques Plante, Howie Morenz, Henri Richard, Dickie Moore, Jean Beliveau, Doug Harvey, et al shouldn't have their numbers retired? :o I find that every habs from the guys above to Pierre Dagenais have all been significant. I would retire them all if there would be more numbers to choose from.

I don't want to take anything away from great players like Cournoyer, Robinson, Gainey, or even Patrick Roy, they have had fantastic careers, but what did they do that was so remarkable? You could maybe argue that Roy perfected the butterfly style, and that he inspired many young Quebec goalies, so maybe he deserves to see his number retired.

Cournoyer, player with the most cup wins in History, 10 in 16 years

Robinson, was probably the greatest D-Man in habs History

Gainey, THE REASON for the Selke award... nuff said

Roy: THE WAYNE GRETZKY of goalies, rewrote the record books inspired a whole generation of goalies, from Quebec, and everywhere...

so to you, they weren't (or still aren't for those waiting) good enough to get their number up?

Cournoyer, player with the most cup wins in History, 10 in 16 years

No that is not the most cup wins in History. I believe the most cup wins for a player in the history of the stanley cup is Henri Richard with 11.

Edited by GoHabsGo_24cups

I would have to say Ken Dryden should be next.

Gainey will never have his number retired as long as he is part of the organization.

Roy should have his number retired for bringing two cups to Montreal on his own during the post-post expansion era, as well as rewriting the record book and because the Habs organization and Roy need to make up and he must be welcomed back to the Bell Centre with open loving arms.

I would have to say Ken Dryden should be next.

Gainey will never have his number retired as long as he is part of the organization.

Roy should have his number retired for bringing two cups to Montreal on his own during the post-post expansion era, as well as rewriting the record book and because the Habs organization and Roy need to make up and he must be welcomed back to the Bell Centre with open loving arms.

i do believe Jean Beliveau is still with the organisation as is Guy Lafleur

oh my god I just realized something troubling:

There are 99 total numbers available minus nine already retired that leaves 90 numbers. Subtract the 23 players that will be on the roster at any given time, that leaves 67 available numbers. The five numbers on the list in this thread will probably be retired so they won't be issued to any new players. That leaves 62 numbers.

Now, the nine numbers that have already been retired date back to Morenz in 1937, which is 70 years and that makes a rate of one number retired roughly every eight years.

At this rate the Habs will completely run out of numbers in the year 2502! Shit!!!

That would of course mean that the Canadiens would be hovering around the 180 Stanley Cup mark and I would imagine that wound not bother the Canadiens if they had to start using three digits.