The Politics Thread

Pierre the Great

Just because it's a peace wreath, it gets stupid notice in the press (BTW, people thought of it more as an anti-war statement, not Satan). Regardless, homeowner associations and their ridiculous rules and outrageous fees are nothing new. Had this been an ornate flower arrangement that the HOA wanted removed, it wouldn't have made the press. But it's holiday time, let's get everyone riled up because an HOA is denying someone the right to celebrate the season. Blah. Freakin media sensationalism annoys the crap out of me.

Guess what? These homeowners signed the rules and regulations when they bought/rented their property. Shoulda read the fine print.

Agreed, I'm just venting about homeowner's groups in general. They are so stupid. I bet people started them just so they could have a way to go on power trips.

Agreed, I'm just venting about homeowner's groups in general. They are so stupid. I bet people started them just so they could have a way to go on power trips.

Trust me, I'm the same way. HOAs are evil, I'll always buy in neighborhoods without. Power trips? It's got a little to do with that, and a lot more to do with cashola. The fees for some places are just outrageous.

i can't say im too big on honouring stipulations that follow land deeds. Devalues the land and limits utility. Also, this is the kind of thing that was exploited to maintain segregation.

I hate my neighbours hanging up garish flamingos, gnomes, or christmas lights that divert airplanes... but i ain't crazy about private law to ban it.

Oh, BTW - don't blame the lawyers so much guys....

Christian Coalition president resigns over agenda dispute

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The president-elect of the Christian Coalition of America has resigned his post Monday, citing a difference in philosophy over which issues the conservative Christian organization should embrace.

Rev. Joel C. Hunter, currently the senior pastor of the Northland Church in Longwood, Florida, was to assume the presidency in January. But Hunter said CCA leaders resisted his calls to expand their issue base.

"I wanted to expand the issues from only moral ones -- such as opposing abortion and redefining marriage -- to include compassion issues such as poverty, justice, and creation care," Hunter said in a statement. 'We need to care as much for the vulnerable outside the womb as inside the womb."

Hunter also said he wanted to focus on rebuilding the CCA's once powerful grassroots network -- an appeal he says board members rejected.

"After initial willingness to consider these changes, the board of the CCA decided, 'that is fine, but that is not who we are,'" Hunter said.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have any of these so called 'religious' people ever read the bible? Jesus would be angry not caring about the poor and the environment. Evangelicals showing there true colours here. Sad. Jesus is weeping his flock has lost its way.

Here we go again and by the way Pierre, I'm going to do my best to get you hooked on Chantal Hebert.

In her opinion this weekend will seal Harper's fate, either for his good or his bad. This all depends upon the leader chosen.

Also, in her opinion. a Rae victory most likely gives 22 Sussex back to Harper. But Ignatieff will lead to his demise.

Even if she is wrong it makes for a good read. I love her perspective.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...d=1164927011216

I think Dion might take the leadership race. Kennedy and Dion made a pact that whomever finished 3rd in the second ballot tomorrow the other would support.

More Ballots = less likely Iggy will win

Rae is liked in Quebec according to the polls so you don't really know now. Its going to be interesting to watch though.

She's always on the CBC. I like her.

I want Brison or Ignatief to win because they are the closest to Stephen Harper.

if you define assaulting Canada as decentralising power, reducing size of governement and cutting taxes then yes, he will assault Canada ^_^

decentralizing to what extent?

No federal interference in provincial powers would be awesome for a start. This mean no daycare program or no education program from the feds - that's just *not their job* and they are not wanted in those domains

then what would be the purpose of the federal government then? What would you want them to do and what would you not want to do. You know there was a guy who ran on a small government platform and in his 6 years in power he's put in education programs that do not work, (no child left behind what a joke) and so on.

Anyway what would your ideal federal government do?

Anyway what would your ideal federal government do?

Army

RCMP

Inter-provincial roads / airports / seaports

Foreign relations

Post system

Common Law / Jails

They should stick to that and leave the rest to the provinces IMO ^_^

Can Dion win? This is interesting.

The 2nd ballot is late. I'm getting frustrated. Who's counting for the party? A Quebec advertising agency?

10 mins to go.

IMO: Grit's, don't go Rae.

Yeah it is getting interesting.

Findlay Backs Dion

Brison backs Rae

Volpe backs Rae

Kennedy and Dion have that pact

If I was Iggy I'd be a little nervous.

This is fun, I'm getting excited.

That's really weird.... an ex-tory backing an ex-dipper.. WTF is that?

A lot of Liberal's might be weary of Dion. I disagree with this. I think if they're smart they will go with him. He has no stink attached to him and the Liberal's need to get out of the 4th level down sub basement in Quebec. Dion can help the party the same way Ignatieff has attracted the Quebec wing. Dion can claim to be Mr. Kyoto. A stink Harper can't hide from. These things work in Quebec.

Ontario has no reason to dislike Dion really. There's no stink there. Something Mr. Rae cannot claim.

Of course all of this is academic. Maybe the voters in the next election will reward Bob Rae. I don't have a crystal ball here.

If the last round is Iggy / Rae, Iggy wins

If it's Dion / Iggy, Dion wins

IMO :)