2015 Memorial Cup Thread

dlbalr

During the first intermission tonight, Patrick Roy noted that he tried to trade for a draft pick to draft Fucale back in 2011 (when he was coach/GM of the Remparts). He then went on about how he was going to give him the #1 job right away and was really impressed with his attitude.

(Before anyone gets too excited, Colorado is probably set in goal for a while so I wouldn't start dreaming up Fucale to Colorado proposals...)

Oshawa leads 1-0 over Kelowna so far in the 2nd. McCarron is having another good game.

Good scoop on Fucale and Roy. Thanks

Fucale is now 4-1-1 in Mem cups and would be nice to see another good game from him today and Quebec rebound vs Rimouski.

dlbalr posted stats, was interesting to see Fucale was 1st star in 26 save game but not 45 save one, in which McCarron was 1st star with 10 friggin shots on Fucale.

Almost too bad McCarron gets a pass to Sunday's final, he almost seems to be getting better each game.

Some McCarron sized quotes here: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/montreal-canadiens-prospect-michael-mccarron-comes-up-big-at-memorial-cup-131613631.html

McCarron admits he needed quite a bit of work once he joined the Generals under head coach D.J. Smith. For starters, McCarron said his conditioning wasn’t what it should have been for a player at this level.

“I feel like I can play a full 60 minutes now,” said McCarron. “Before I was taking two shifts on and then a shift off. I wasn’t fully conditioned for a full game. I feel like now I can play a full 60 minutes and really help my team out there.”

McCarron credits Smith with not only improving his defensive game, but for giving him the confidence to show his offensive flair too, when needed.

“He’s a defensive-minded coach,” said McCarron. “When I first got over here I don’t know if my defensive skills were that great. He helped me quite a bit in the defensive zone to be a shutdown kind of centreman.

“If he plays the way he’s played out there and he continues to get bigger and stronger,” said Smith. “I think he’s real close (to the NHL). No player likes to hear that it’s good for them to go down to the minors and play big minutes and see what pro hockey is all about.

“If he keeps progressing like this, he won’t spend a lot of time down there (in the minors).”

Also mentions he's 225lbs now, which means he dropped 15-20lbs since draft.

A number of scouts and coaches had good comments about McCarron this week. Alain Chainey, Michel Bergeron, Philippe Boucher, to name a few, but also the Oshawa Generals' coach. If he can improve his conditionning and skating ability, I am confident that he will get at least a few games with the big club next season. It's fun to see a prospect who won't be easily pushed out of play when he will graduate. We can be sure of one thing: nobody will say that Big Mac is «trop petite». LOL

Pushed around is not an issue for Habs, lack of highly skilled scorers is.

Size is not quite as important in Hockey (maybe for defensive d-men/goalies is true) as skill/skating and Hudon, Lehkonen, Carr, Gregoire, Scherbak, Bozon, Reway all likely better chance of making an impact on offense and to winning.

Guest Stogey24

Size is not quite as important in Hockey (maybe for defensive d-men/goalies is true) as skill/skating and Hudon, Lehkonen, Carr, Gregoire, Scherbak, Bozon, Reway all likely better chance of making an impact on offense and to winning.

This is where acquiring Rychel makes some sense.

We are desperate for someone who can play in the front of the net on a powerplay. All the skilled guys in the world ain't helping us there.

But keep digging for reasons to dislike McCarron ;)

Lack of skill, particularly at center, is quite obvious. I won't dispute that. But guys like Desharnais and Plekanec are certainly easy to push around. It's been a big problem in the series and during the season, against the Western Conference teams. Talent and size, we need both.

Lack of skill, particularly at center, is quite obvious. I won't dispute that. But guys like Desharnais and Plekanec are certainly easy to push around. It's been a big problem in the series and during the season, against the Western Conference teams. Talent and size, we need both.

Well then maybe just need to resign Rene Bourque/Mike Ryder/Ben Pouliot/Andrei Kostitsyn all are talanted and big and then trade away Smurfs Gallagher Plekanec DD and would be better off?

And make sure Habs dont ever draft a 5'10" Smurf d-man like...say Sami Vatanen or Smurf forward like a John Goudreau.

Well then maybe just need to resign Rene Bourque/Mike Ryder/Ben Pouliot/Andrei Kostitsyn all are talanted and big and then trade away Smurfs Gallagher Plekanec DD and would be better off?

And make sure Habs dont ever draft a 5'10" Smurf d-man like...say Sami Vatanen or Smurf forward like a John Goudreau.

Yea that's what we're all saying. We're saying size is the ONLY thing that matters. Actually subban is probably too small only 6'0, we should probably trade him for say.. Jeff Schultz. And Gallagher he's too small too. Send him to the minors and call up connor crisp. Luckily price is tall enough at 6'3 but I'd jump at trading him for rinne. And last Plekanec for Paul gustad and the team will be set.

Tkachev 5'8" 150lb (soaking wet) has drawn a lot of penalties and is one shifty lil fellow.

Not sure why Oil were not allowed to sign him last year?

But some team will pick him this year for sure.

Not sure why Oil were not allowed to sign him last year?

But some team will pick him this year for sure.

In order to be signed to an ELC after the draft, the player must spend at least one full season in North America. Tkachev suited up for two games in the KHL before moving to the QMJHL last year. As a result, he didn't play a full season in North America meaning that he was ineligible for a contract.

Fucale is getting hung out to dry in this one. Someone forgot to give Quebec the memo that taking a whole bunch of penalties isn't a recipe for success. Barring a massive comeback by the Remparts, it's looking like these two will face off again tomorrow in the tiebreaker game with the winner going to the semis.

Edit: Fucale was pulled after the fourth goal. He made 21 saves on 25 shots in 32:40 of ice time.

I certainly did not suggest anything of the sort. I don't mind small players if they are very talented and are tough to play against, like Gallagher. Obviously, Plekanec and DD don't have the talent to pivot the first lines, and (like it or not) they are easily pushed around when the going gets tough. You seem to dislike Big Mac because he has been selected earlier in the draft than he should have, according to your evaluation of his abilities. Let me remind you that sometimes it is a good idea to pick an under-estimated player earlier in the draft. Take P.K. Subban, for example. He has been drafted in the 2nd round. If you look at the players selected before him, I am quite sure that a large number of GM would have like to select him very early in the 1st round, if they had known how he would blossom in the NHL.

Big Mac is a talented, strong, physical and tough young prospect. Nobody knows if he will make it, but if he does I am convinced that he will give the coach a lot more options to manage his team. To say otherwise doesn't make much sense to me.

I certainly did not suggest anything of the sort. I don't mind small players if they are very talented and are tough to play against, like Gallagher. Obviously, Plekanec and DD don't have the talent to pivot the first lines, and (like it or not) they are easily pushed around when the going gets tough. You seem to dislike Big Mac because he has been selected earlier in the draft than he should have, according to your evaluation of his abilities. Let me remind you that sometimes it is a good idea to pick an under-estimated player earlier in the draft. Take P.K. Subban, for example. He has been drafted in the 2nd round. If you look at the players selected before him, I am quite sure that a large number of GM would have like to select him very early in the 1st round, if they had known how he would blossom in the NHL.

Big Mac is a talented, strong, physical and tough young prospect. Nobody knows if he will make it, but if he does I am convinced that he will give the coach a lot more options to manage his team. To say otherwise doesn't make much sense to me.

You can't deny that the Habs have gotten better since they ditched most of the Smurfs. Is anyone pining for Gomez, Squid, Gio or Frankie Boo?

Offensively no, they are worse with bigger team.

Hopefully Fucale is back in net today, don't think he was responsible for all goals against or should of stopped any?

Hopefully Fucale is back in net today, don't think he was responsible for all goals against or should of stopped any?

Booth played well in relief. Considering they trusted him to start the postseason, there's a chance he could get the start tonight.

Yes, last year the team with big layoff got beat I think.

(But would rather see Quebec win anyways, so no matter to me.)

Midget goalie Fucale played solid in 30 save win, will he win another today?.