Aebischer Starts Again

JMMR

Too much talent on the farm, Halak will back up Huet next year. Price will be #1 in Hamilton. Huet's contract is up after next year, so depending on the how the young goalies do? they may not even need to resign him. Sort of like Fluery in Pitt.

I really like Aebi, i think he does a great job. They are 1a and 1b as far as i'm concerned. Whoever wins should stay in. If the Habs make the playoffs goaltending will not be an issue, either goalie will do.

It's pretty clear to me that Abi is now the starter since Huet has SUCKED in January. Flat out one of the worse goalies of the month!

ummm... I dont' think Carbo feels that way permanently. I Think he's jsut going with the hot hand right now.

Why do people insist on not signing a guy who's our second leading scorer when our problem is scoring? I know the number might be high, but you aren't sure how much a part of the team Souray is in the dressing room. Honestly he's not worth over $5 million, but from what I see of Markov I wouldn't pay him over $3.5

I'll get flamed for this, but maybe I'm blind, I just don't see why people are so head over heels in love with Markov? Anyone care to educate me?

Well let's see, I won't repeat what everyone else said about his passing and shooting and everything else but what I like best about Markov is that he never (hardly ever of course) gets beat one on one in the defensive zone. He strips the puck away from the best forwards in the league with ease on a regular basis. To me that's the most important thing a defenseman can do and Markov is one of the best in the league at it. He's plus 3 on a team that's minus millions. That tells you a lot right there. Not a small feat considering all the time he gets. To appreciate how good Markov is you have to notice all the little things he does. It's not as apparent as with Souray because a red light and sirens don't go off every time Markov makes a good play. He is the most valuable and best Dman on this team and would be a top 2 on any team in the league. So to sum up it's Markov's one on one ability, especially with the elite players in the league, that sets him head and shoulders above every other D on Montreal. His ability to keep the puck out of the net is more important then Souray's ability to put it in the net and thus he should receive priority when they hand out contracts. I like Souray too, just wish he was a little (lot) better defensively. Can easily live without Rivet (not that I hate him) so hopefully he'll be gone to make room for better things.

agree with you 100%, a good defenceman is worth his weight in gold, and we aren't very deep in defensive prospects...

But there seems to be a few good defencemen like Stuart, Sopel, nick Schultz, Aucoin that could be acquired via free agency or trades, as much as we need a strong shot from the point we need a good first passing defencemen that is not a pilon in his own end even more(see Souray).

and I hazard perhaps even a Cam Barker(young and cheap) could be had in return for Souray.

Agreed that souray is mediocre at best in our own end, but on the other hand, you cant ignore his 17 goals and 40 points which is top 5 leaguewide amongst Dmen. More importantly, he is clutch. Against ottawa the other night it was souray who finally put in an accurate shot from the point when all our forwards were missing open nets. Also how many games have we seen him carry the contest by coming in from the point and ripping a shot top corner from the face off circle?

Has anyone noticed that we get spanked by good forchecking teams? this is because our defense(other than Markov) can't make smart first passes under pressure so therefore they turn over the puck too much, which just makes everyone look bad. Not too mention that without those first passes out of their own end we have a really hard time generating any offence with our speed game. That is why players like Dan Boyle, Markov, and Lidstrom are so useful they can play under pressure. Souray not so much.

Sorry about the length just had alot to say ;)

Ive noticed our problems with forcheckers, but I think this can be corrected with coaching. What I see our dmen try to do when pressured is make sissy passes (blind backhanders) back and forth around the net to their partner so they can keep control and move it up. Many a time this results in one that doesnt quite make it, or a difficult to play one rolling along the boards, and a hungry forchecker steals it. The coaches need to tell them to just bang it out when pressured, even if it results in the other team getting it back, at least its the safe play.

ummm... I dont' think Carbo feels that way permanently. I Think he's jsut going with the hot hand right now.

Plus were playing the risky win or lose game of raising or lowering Abi's stock and at the same token getting the rust out of our second Goalie and helping Huet go into his special corner deep into his goaltender mind

In the game last night Markov was made silly, and was lucky to not have been scored on. How come everyone isn't jumping on his back like they would if it was Souray? Not to mention Markovs shot from the point was constantly blocked.

There seems to be a huge double standard going around here.

In the game last night Markov was made silly, and was lucky to not have been scored on. How come everyone isn't jumping on his back like they would if it was Souray? Not to mention Markovs shot from the point was constantly blocked.

And Chara looked like a pylon when Kovalev deked him last season...happens once in a while but with Souray it happens EVERY time.

I dunno about everytime, but why is it always the defenses' fault, not just a great play by the offense? I'm not a Markov hater, just not a huge fan as everyone on the boards. I want them both back, heck I like Rivet too...just not on the power play.

Streit has really started to grow on me.

Oh as an aside, anyone catch sportscentre after the hockey game last night? They kept calling Markov, 'Dany'.

I thought Markov played a bad game overall, against Pittsburgh, as he made some uncharacteristic poor decisions in a number of defensive situations.

I dunno about everytime, but why is it always the defenses' fault, not just a great play by the offense? I'm not a Markov hater, just not a huge fan as everyone on the boards. I want them both back, heck I like Rivet too...just not on the power play.

Streit has really started to grow on me.

Oh as an aside, anyone catch sportscentre after the hockey game last night? They kept calling Markov, 'Dany'.

Shows how underrated and unknown Markov is.

Ask anyone and they'll know who Souray is. Markov is a much better defenseman defensively and offensively they arent far off either. (markov 33 points souray 41 in a hell of a career year for Souray and a normal season for Markov)

Markov is really comparable to Kaberle.

Souray even said himself the team has to resign Markov before even thinking about him. Markov's movement, anticipation and positioning are grossly superior to Souray's.

Souray is having a fantastic season from the point on the PP. He is undressed at least once a night, plus is a sh*te passer from his own end.

But the way he attacked that punk b*tch from The Team With No Home yesterday really impressed me. And at least his offense offsets his poor defense to a large degree (unlike Rivet). He stated the obvious before Ottawa but no-one else was going to do it. I'm hoping that in some way the cap increases enough and we can resign him and Markov. But if it is a choice between the two, then there is no choice. Markov stays.

This is not considering Souray wants to be closer to his daughter in LA.

Souray even said himself the team has to resign Markov before even thinking about him. Markov's movement, anticipation and positioning are grossly superior to Souray's.

Souray is having a fantastic season from the point on the PP. He is undressed at least once a night, plus is a sh*te passer from his own end.

But the way he attacked that punk b*tch from The Team With No Home yesterday really impressed me. And at least his offense offsets his poor defense to a large degree (unlike Rivet). He stated the obvious before Ottawa but no-one else was going to do it. I'm hoping that in some way the cap increases enough and we can resign him and Markov. But if it is a choice between the two, then there is no choice. Markov stays.

This is not considering Souray wants to be closer to his daughter in LA.

Not to mention his unbelivable vision and passing ability.

Top 5 for dmen in my books in the whole league. He's amazing!

Shows how underrated and unknown Markov is.

Ask anyone and they'll know who Souray is. Markov is a much better defenseman defensively and offensively they arent far off either. (markov 33 points souray 41 in a hell of a career year for Souray and a normal season for Markov)

Markov is really comparable to Kaberle.

Exactly... besides, in the first half of the season, half of Souray's goals on PP were on great passes from Markov.

To be fair, if you've only been paying attention the last couple of weeks, I would have to agree that Markov has been playing poorly - by his standards... making some poor decisions and not winning all the one on ones we're used to him winning. But this isn't his usual play; it's a funk and he'll snap out of it...

Plus his first passes out of our zone are good, and he's the only D we have who knows how to make a good first pass out of the zone.

I like both Souray and Markov (look on the side, they're both in my fav habs list). They just bring different things to the table... I'd want them both back next year, but if it comes down to only one, I'd take Markov. The number of goals the team would have scored AGAINST it with out Markov would be WAY more than the number of goals Souray puts into the net... I'm thinking of the team's plus/minus...

Not to mention his unbelivable vision and passing ability.

Top 5 for dmen in my books in the whole league. He's amazing!

Are you talking about Souray's vision and passing ability???? I hope you mean Markov's...

Rivet and Markov have got to learn to stop shooting into guys kneepads when they are 3 feet in front of them.

Its never a bad play to just dump the puck back down low, especially with control of the offensive zone where there are forwards in position to easily be first on it.

Agreed that souray is mediocre at best in our own end, but on the other hand, you cant ignore his 17 goals and 40 points which is top 5 leaguewide amongst Dmen. More importantly, he is clutch. Against ottawa the other night it was souray who finally put in an accurate shot from the point when all our forwards were missing open nets. Also how many games have we seen him carry the contest by coming in from the point and ripping a shot top corner from the face off circle?

I agree with you on that point but I just think that there are more well rounded defencemen available than Souray. I know hes got the big point shot and I know that he is a team leader and the first to stick up for his captain (that was great last night by the way). But for the money he will command next year I think we can get someone that is better defensively and almost as good in the offensive categories.

don't get me wrong I think he is great and I wish that we could afford him, but I just don't see it happening. Their are more important pieces still missing to make this team a true contender.

I think a trade involving Kovalev and Abischer (sp) for a true Number one center would be ideal, thats still the biggest piece missing. We need a franchise center (Preferably french Canadian, or just Canadian, but I'd settle for Jokinen)

Edited by Davehab

Rivet and Markov have got to learn to stop shooting into guys kneepads when they are 3 feet in front of them.

Its never a bad play to just dump the puck back down low, especially with control of the offensive zone where there are forwards in position to easily be first on it.

:clap:

Couldn't have said it better myself.