Samsonov - Koivu - Ryder

hupette gros

Perezhogin doesn't deserve the 1st line for one freaking second, Johnson doesn't deserve to be put on the fourth line, and fourth line isn't really Johnson's style, he's more fo the player that gets it not that gives hits.... I'd put Higgins instead of Perezhogin, Higgins is the fastest guy on the team and can't get the pucks next to the boards....

why not? Is it his amazing +/- that's throwing you off? Or maybe it's all those chances he's been given on the first line (not once this season), or maybe it's his amazing work ethic that you don't like?

You don't develop young players - especially ones with an offensive upside - by pigeonholing them as checkers and depriving them of an offensive role. What you do is, put them with linemates who will make them better players, and then let their confidence and talent blossom. Give them room to learn and make mistakes while putting them in a position to succeed.

I come back to what Gainey did with Higgins. Put him on the first line. Overnight, we had a 20-goal scorer and, perhaps, a future star (notwithstanding his current wretched play). He also put Komisarek with Markov - our best D-man - and not coincidentally, Komi, who many were giving up on, suddenly started to find his game.

Zhogs deserves the same chance. I for one am sick of Habs prospects languishing on the fourth line and then, eventually, being dumped.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

You don't develop young players - especially ones with an offensive upside - by pigeonholing them as checkers and depriving them of an offensive role. What you do is, put them with linemates who will make them better players, and then let their confidence and talent blossom. Give them room to learn and make mistakes while putting them in a position to succeed.

I come back to what Gainey did with Higgins. Put him on the first line. Overnight, we had a 20-goal scorer and, perhaps, a future star (notwithstanding his current wretched play). He also put Komisarek with Markov - our best D-man - and not coincidentally, Komi, who many were giving up on, suddenly started to find his game.

Zhogs deserves the same chance. I for one am sick of Habs prospects languishing on the fourth line and then, eventually, being dumped.

I totally agree with you regarding Perohzogin. Although, I would try samsonov-Koivu-Higgens first. Just to see if you can get Sammy going. Higgens looks like he is coming around, with a new linemate, Koivu may come out of his funk as well.

I thought they didn't give Perohzogin a long enough time on the first line last year. While Ryder has been getting a free pass despite his inconsistancy.

His amazing +/- isn't that reflective of anything. It's an overused stat and it probably means that he just doesn't play in tough situations that's all..

He got that +/- playing with Bonk and Johnson, who were being lauded for their amazing defensive play against other teams' top lines. He was just as good.

Is Carbo really that thick and stubborn that he'll put Mark Streit on the first line but won't try Samsonov on that line?

Ryder and Higgins on the top line all year long? What gives? Isn't Kovalev and Samsonov the top guys?

Carbo hasn't even given it a chance to work. We need Jacques Demers back.

Perezhogin doesn't deserve the 1st line for one freaking second, Johnson doesn't deserve to be put on the fourth line, and fourth line isn't really Johnson's style, he's more fo the player that gets it not that gives hits.... I'd put Higgins instead of Perezhogin, Higgins is the fastest guy on the team and can't get the pucks next to the boards....
Perez is usually in the right place, hits like a truck, can win individual battles, can pass through traffic, has a great shot and he's pretty damn fast. The only reason I can think of not to put him on the top line is his tendency to hook.. that's it.

Johnson doesn't deserve to be on the fourth line.. but anyone else we put there is wasting what we do have. Think of him as the worst of the best.. when you put him on the fourth... we can immediately play the fourth more minutes.. because it's more trustworthy.. how many goals do you think the opposition is going to score against Begin/Lapierre/Johnson? Not many right? .. that means we use that as a shuhtdown/energy line.. and our third line becomes a good two-way line (Bonk makes any line defensively responsible).

The way I see it.. our top line will not beat every other top line in the league... but if we can have our fourth line better than everyone else.. and our third.. well then the first and second suddenly have a lot less to worry about.

1) Samsonov is working damn hard lately. The effort is there, the confidence isn't. How would you feel if you were one of the top players in terms of intrinsict talent and never played on the first line? Being with Koivu and Ryder would help his nervous system to get back in healt. And for god's sake Carbonneau; try the combination for more than 4 shifts! Four games would barely leave you enough thoughts to bring a clear judgment on such a combination. Samsonov might not go in front of the net all that often, but koivu is often there. Sammy can move the puck fluently accross the ice which would be a plus on that line (Ryder can't do that, koivu merely)

2) Higgins brought on the second unit with Plecks and Kovalev would give an energy that would likely help to motivate Kovalev.

3) You end up with two stong scoring lines (on paper at least), one highly reliable line (perez-bonk-johnson) that is flexible and can score goals.

4) A big energy line that can hit, play defensively and keep the puck deep into the ennemy's zone (Lats-Lapierre-Begin). Not only energetic on paper - just imagine the reacton of the crowd when those three would get on the ice...

Why hasn't this been tried out (replace begin because he's injured)?????? I don't care if koivu doesn't like Samsonov - force him to!!

i'm not sure but i do think it was tried at the beginning of the year for a bit... could be wrong though...

GO :hlogo: GO!

Pushing for a deal. Here's my solution:

Samsonov - X - Kovalev

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder

Latendresse - Bonk - Johnson

Lapierre - Begin - Kostitsyn

So where's Plekanec and Perezhogin? I don't know but I think the price will be high if the Habs want someone for the first line to get Kovalev and Samsonov going. Fedorov?