Habs vs. Ducks - Mar. 8/04

jl.roberts

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Habs win!! 5-2, empty netter. A little better than the LA game, but still a little sluggish out of the gate. Well, hopefully Kovalev will be back next game. Interesting about that though. Did anyone hear Cherry's comments about that on Saturday? He said that is was probably the equipment needing to be broken in and that Kovalev should have brought the insides of his equipment with him. Usually I take Cherry's words with a grain of salt, but considering he was such a flop in the NHL and was traded so often, I am pretty sure he has experience with this one. Might be a first!!:clap:

Huge win for Habs and a Huge statment that this team means business. A team that has struggled on the road not only went 3-1 on the road but in a west coast road trip non the less. Not only that we happened to push a team out of the playoffs for alittle bit that being LA.

Anyways big win we got 3 lines going strong and 2 goalies going strong. We probably need about 3 more wins to clinch a playoff spot since thats 88 points which basically gets you in the playoffs the last 4 years or so in the east.

You sure that dowd got an assist on Begins empty netter? I missed it since i was turning on the colorado game to see if anything would happen at the end of the period. So far Espn, Tsn, and Yahoo are showing unassisted.

The key is having 2 truly potent lines... most teams have one shutdown line, so they take on one of our lines... and it's up to the 2nd to get it going.

In LA they put Laperriere on Ribs all night... the Koivu line scored 2 goals.

Tonight I didn't notice who was checking who, but in the end both lines got on the scoresheet.

The 3rd line has also been more productive with Dowd on the line... he Begin & Ward have chipping a goal per game. That sure helps.

If this line stays intact... that sets the stage for a Bulis-Juneau-Dackell reunion on the 4th line for the playoffs IMO.

Having 2 defensive lines will keep our checkers fresh, allow us to cover two lines, be able to cover a star player who might be double-shifted, or simply stay fresher as the game wears on.

Some will say we need Langdon in case it gets ugly, I say if he could play more than a few minutes I'd agree... but I'm not sure he can.

And I haven't even mentionned Sundstrom yet, forget Kilger... Perreault? And that's assuming Gainey doesn't reach out for some muscle tomorrow.

We still need a D man, and a tough winger IMO... plus hopefully we can move out a few guys for picks.

In the end I leave you with this quote from the Anaheim coach:

``I thought their goaltender was phenomenal,'' Anaheim coach Mike Babcock said. ``They could be scary in the playoffs if they get goaltending like that.''

And he forgot to mention the pending addition of Kovalev & Souray on top of it...

[Edited on 9-3-04 by Habs77]