Would you trade Souray?

BCHabnut

If i was gainey i would not trade souray.

Frankly at this point I think Gainey has 2 alternatives, either sign Souray before the trade deadline or trade him before. All signs are that Souray wants out. It would be absolutely foolish not to trade him. The habs are going nowhere this year unless a miracle happens. You never know if they make the playoffs look at last year's Oilers, but I doubt they have the players to pull off a miracle. The other thing is that if we listen to some of the posters in here that we will get nothing for Souray of any value, then it is better to hold on to him till the end of the year. As I have noted I think they are wrong, we can get something valuable if not to the extent of what was gotten for Forsberg but pretty close.

WHY NOT PUTTING SHELDON ON AN OFFENSIVE LINE ???

-He's not much of a defensive player

-too many turnovers in his D zone

-20 goals !!! the guy can score from the oppoent's blue line ; how many would he scores if he takes closer shots

-ok, he is not really quick, but the guy hardly misses ; remember the game winning goal VS Pittsburgh? 2 on 1 with Pleky ; Fleury couldn't see a thing

-However, on PP, he should stay on the D line to score from the blue line

I have wondered that as well. I see some positives and negatives. He is a big body that would be hard to move in front of the opposing net. However, I doubt his skills lie in a quick release. He needs space to wind up and fire and that is not suited in close quarters in front of the net.

Edited by Strummerman

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHY NOT PUTTING SHELDON ON AN OFFENSIVE LINE ???

-He's not much of a defensive player TRUE.

-too many turnovers in his D zone REALLY TRUE.

-20 goals !!! the guy can score from the oppoent's blue line ; how many would he scores if he takes closer shots

-ok, he is not really quick, but the guy hardly misses ; remember the game winning goal VS Pittsburgh? 2 on 1 with Pleky ; Fleury couldn't see a thing EXTREMELY TRUE.

-However, on PP, he should stay on the D line to score from the blue line

Let's sell him to the Sharks for... Carle, Bernier and a 2nd rounder.

And he's not worth the money he is gonna demand.

Frankly at this point I think Gainey has 2 alternatives, either sign Souray before the trade deadline or trade him before. All signs are that Souray wants out. It would be absolutely foolish not to trade him. The habs are going nowhere this year unless a miracle happens. You never know if they make the playoffs look at last year's Oilers, but I doubt they have the players to pull off a miracle. The other thing is that if we listen to some of the posters in here that we will get nothing for Souray of any value, then it is better to hold on to him till the end of the year. As I have noted I think they are wrong, we can get something valuable if not to the extent of what was gotten for Forsberg but pretty close.

I have wondered that as well. I see some positives and negatives. He is a big body that would be hard to move in front of the opposing net. However, I doubt his skills lie in a quick release. He needs space to wind up and fire and that is not suited in close quarters in front of the net.

agreed, so i dont' think he'd work parked in front of the net. In terms of trading him or keeping him, I think it's a really really hard decision. If we trade him, and we do manage to make the playoffs and make a deep run, we'll really miss him. right now with kovy out our PP is hurting and on top of it, imagine if we didn't have souray...

On the other hand, if we keep him, don't make the playoffs and lose him for nothing, it'll seem foolish to have kept him at all...

Since I'm Having such a hard time with this with no real hockey experience, I'm going to just put my faith in Gainey and say that it's a toss up, and hopefully be happy with whatever he does. I do agree with whoever posted that it's odd that there hasn't been any contact with his agent just to at least test the waters though...

agreed, so i dont' think he'd work parked in front of the net. In terms of trading him or keeping him, I think it's a really really hard decision. If we trade him, and we do manage to make the playoffs and make a deep run, we'll really miss him. right now with kovy out our PP is hurting and on top of it, imagine if we didn't have souray...

On the other hand, if we keep him, don't make the playoffs and lose him for nothing, it'll seem foolish to have kept him at all...

Since I'm Having such a hard time with this with no real hockey experience, I'm going to just put my faith in Gainey and say that it's a toss up, and hopefully be happy with whatever he does. I do agree with whoever posted that it's odd that there hasn't been any contact with his agent just to at least test the waters though...

Well at least you dream well about going deep in the playoffs lol

Edited by Strummerman

Marleau anyone?

Why would a team headed for a cup run trade away 1/2 of one of the best 1 2 punches at centre in the league.

Let's sell him to the Sharks for... Carle, Bernier and a 2nd rounder.

And he's not worth the money he is gonna demand.

Your dreaming if you believe Carle or Bernier are traded in any deal brining in a rental.

ummm how many girls call themselves strummer man

for sure it is a chick! Strummerman comes from "strum her man", like play him like a guitar, softly, yet pricisely, then hard and fast. You know ... instrument style, like an organ.

;)

Gainey should know by the 27th if Souray wants to stay in Mtl and for how much? if it fits the Gainey model than yes keep him if not then (if the team doesnt snap out of it by the 27th) then trade him for a player plus pick

If Halak doesn't shine, and if we don't get a second line center, we will not shine in the playoffs. So, unless these two issues are dealt with, we may as well rent Souray (if the price is right), and then re-sign him in the off-season.

for sure it is a chick! Strummerman comes from "strum her man", like play him like a guitar, softly, yet pricisely, then hard and fast. You know ... instrument style, like an organ.

;)

ok enuff of this i am mano macho man dah dah

If Halak doesn't shine, and if we don't get a second line center, we will not shine in the playoffs. So, unless these two issues are dealt with, we may as well rent Souray (if the price is right), and then re-sign him in the off-season.

pretty presumptuous about the playoffs aren't we

ummm how many girls call themselves strummer man

haha I can only assume SHE was speaking about herself.

meaning ShortHanded is actually a woman. :o

Just watched 110%, they say that something is seriously going on with Minesotta, and that Gainey is gonna talk to the press on Thursday ; not necessarely about Souray though Edited by rafikz

pretty presumptuous about the playoffs aren't we

Nope, optimistic possibly. But what I said is the truth ... unless we get good goaltending from Halak, we won't even make the playoffs (very little confidence in Addie ... never have had any), and if we don't get a good 1/2 center, we may as well throw in the towel, because getting by the second round would be overly ambitious. We are close to being a contender, but that 1/2 center is a sticking point. So is our Goalie sit too now, but I'm praying on Halak.

Just watched 110%, they say that something is seriously going on with Minesotta, and that Gainey is gonna talk to the press on Thursday ; not necessarely about Souray though

Interesting. If true, I wonder who it'll involve if something is going on with the Wild. Sneaky Riseborough is talking with Gainey eh? Ol' habs to habs eh? :P

The rumours are there. Knowing Gainey, if it's big I'll be happy but I might have a broken Habs heart if certain players go I am a fan of. But, that's the way it is.

If it's a minor trade or sell off I'll be happy because Gainey will do the right thing.

Thanks for the rumour. We'll see Thursday.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

I dont know if Gainey should do this or not...I kind of want to see what happens with Buffalo in the offseason!

(Briere or Drury!!!)....Or Maybe even get Ryan Smyth...

But then again...I heard pierre mcguire talking about Gaborik and how he is so strong in 5 on 5 hockey...

We could really use him!

Only time will tell!