Wow, pretty incendiary Russian interview given by Kovalev

bobby

Boone has taken the "It's Over" blog entry reprinted above off the Gazette Habs Inside/Out website - a first for him, I believe - and put up a blog entry cautiously supporting the hoax theory. I guess that makes the blog entry a Habsworld exclusive now!

I really hope this does provide the emotional spur the Habs need, and I could totally see that happening - until now, the Habs had brought the media's wrath upon themselves by performing poorly, but this is not the Habs' fault, and injustice can inspire more than guilt.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever happened to taking the mans word as the truth? I believe Kovalev is a very smart person as he decided to sign with Montreal in the first place to be a solution not a problem getting to the Stanley Cup. He was a star at one time but his star has faded due to age, but this was known before he was signed.

I would hope the fans of Montreal would cheer him on and not get into this annoying booing so greatly accepted in sports. The booing in Leaf games now is just garbage and it would sadden me to see Montreal do the same thing. Poor McCabe and Gill get booed as Leaf fans think they both should play like Bobby Orr.

For what it is worth, I will believe Mr. Kovalev unless someone has actual proof to contradict his denial.

Go Habs Go, get to the playoffs and everything will be just fine. :)

Frankly i think Kovalev has seen the writing on the wall here in Montreal. Things are not gonna get better next year. I think he is talking the easy way out. The problem is if he leaves he might influence Markov to leave as well. Will Souray stay if Markov and Kovalev leave? Stay tuned

The Habs' next home date is a week from tomorrow. I think it's really, really important to the Habs' playoff chances this season that Kovalev not be (unjustifiably) booed during that game, but I think the question of whether or not this will happen is still in the balance. If you're a Habs fan, I say, do everything you can in the next 8 days to convince the Habs fan community to not boo Kovalev at the next game, or face the inevitability of the already-nearly-inevitable missing of the playoffs.

I don't think Kovalev wants to leave - at least I don't think he wanted to leave yesterday. This almost makes me want to get traded as a fan! It's heartbreaking to watch engines powered by my own fan interest - i.e. La Presse and RDS, in this case - contribute to the failure of the team that generates that interest. By being a fan, I'm ultimately making the team worse...

The Habs' next home date is a week from tomorrow. I think it's really, really important to the Habs' playoff chances this season that Kovalev not be (unjustifiably) booed during that game, but I think the question of whether or not this will happen is still in the balance. If you're a Habs fan, I say, do everything you can in the next 8 days to convince the Habs fan community to not boo Kovalev at the next game, or face the inevitability of the already-nearly-inevitable missing of the playoffs.

I don't think Kovalev wants to leave - at least I don't think he wanted to leave yesterday. This almost makes me want to get traded as a fan! It's heartbreaking to watch engines powered by my own fan interest - i.e. La Presse and RDS, in this case - contribute to the failure of the team that generates that interest. By being a fan, I'm ultimately making the team worse...

If the habs don't do well in the next few games not only will he be booed but the team will be as well. Frankly I think they deserve it, the whole team the coach the GM and the star players like Koivu and Kovy. Our fans have been great all year selling out every game. What do we get in return a team that is sucking big time. meanwhile teams with empty stadiums like the Isles and the Devils are heading to the playoffs. :blink:

Edited by Strummerman

Interesting turn of event on RDS, some people are now questionning Brunet's integrity about releasing in public the report about Kovalev. One reporter (I think Alain Chantelois, if I understood him right) said that Brunet shouldn't be the one to talk since recently he's been heavily criticizing Bob Gainey and should get his facts straight before yapping about this type of stuff.

Apparently, La Presse is supposed to release "indisputable" evidence tomorrow that should show Kovalev guilty of all the comments that the article mentioned.

Interesting turn of event on RDS, some people are now questionning Brunet's integrity about releasing in public the report about Kovalev. One reporter (I think Alain Chantelois, if I understood him right) said that Brunet shouldn't be the one to talk since recently he's been heavily criticizing Bob Gainey and should get his facts straight before yapping about this type of stuff.

Apparently, La Presse is supposed to release "indisputable" evidence tomorrow that should show Kovalev guilty of all the comments that the article mentioned.

They have to, Brunet is really in hot waters right now...

back to back controversies.

This whole story sounds like shite to me Kovalev may be a lot of things but a weasel I don't think so. I believe he wants to be in Montreal (that is why he signed here as a ufa last year ) Things don't look good right now but if I was carbo I would post these where everyone could see them and maybe the team will get pissed off enough to go out and destroy some teams.

This story's garbage. Phony interviews with wildly quotable quotes are common tabloid bs about football (soccer) players. This is more of the same. Utter bullshit probably based on some lame sarcasm by Kovalev, at best.

The Habs went Russian this year with the Samsonov signing. Both Sammy and Perezhogin had bad years, Perez because of the ENDLESS offensive zone penalties and Sammy because Bob signed the wrong player. Kostitsyn would've made the team and we'd have been better and millions cheaper. Hindight is 20/20.

OTOH, Kovalev himself has been shown nothing but support since he got here. I don't remember any Habs employee saying a bad word about Markov, ever. The team clearly misses them when they're gone, as do the fans, and they know it.

This is a whole lotta nothin'

Read La Presse this morning. No new facts except that that russian journalist was interviewed on XM radio and said that she didn't invent thing. But could she say "I lied and the journal I write for publishes bullshit" ?

You guys HAVE to read Rejean Tremblay's article (tuesday morning), he bitches the organisation, Kovalev, the russian players in general and, of course, the fans who are blinded by they love for the Canadiens. He sound like a psychotic guru who thinks he's surrounded by conspirations and is the only one (with his few friends) to know the Truth... or is it just a pathetic demonstration of inflated ego?

Sammy said that it's frequent for russian journals to distort what athletes say.

Lapierre said Kovy really helped him integrate the team when he was called and both he and Latendresse defended Kovy. But yesterday on radio-canada they only showed Bégin's interview, who wasn't as prone to defend Kovy as Lapierre and Lats were (it's a known fact that Bégin and Kovy aren't the two best friends in the team, to say the least...)

But the journalist prefers to believe an unknown russian journalist than Carbonneau, Kovy, Lats, Sammy and Lapierre...

Read Lapresse too, they are maintaining their version...

However, they are not putting down some of the things Alex said yesterday. I found the following tidbits on Canoe (electronic version of Le Journal):

Au cours de son point de presse, Kovalev a fait savoir que l'organisation du Canadien traite très bien ses joueurs, deux fois mieux même que les Rangers de New York, qui ne lésinent pourtant pas sur les dépenses.

«On nous traite très bien ici et j'aimerais donner quelque chose en retour au Canadien, a-t-il raconté. Je veux gagner à Montréal. L'équipe est en difficulté présentement et c'est pourquoi de telles histoires sortent.»

another tidbit from canoe

Il a joint la journaliste au téléphone dimanche soir afin de lui demander des explications et cette dernière lui aurait répondu qu'elle n'avait pas de contrôle sur le contenu de l'article paru dans l'hebdomadaire.

-----

Moreover, from the sound of it, Maxim Lapierre and Lats seem to be chummy chummy with Kovalev... If Kovalev was sour with them, he'd bitch against them... Most of the rest can be said to be accurate, if you don't know Kovalev all that much, or if you wanna be blinded by Lapresse's "All we say is true" attitude...

but that part of the "interview" (where he'd supposely bitch against the Qc Rookies) really ticks me off and makes me strongly believe that the whole interview (and the interview happened, I do not question that) is turned into a "patriotic" article by the reporter, where North America is evil (young French players with big egos, mean racist coach, anihilating defensive system, etc) and where Russia is the promised land (kost, perez, sammy are the victims, Captain Kovalev might be lucky enough to go back to the promised land for the World Champs, Kost should go back to evenly-Russia... etc!)

...turned into a "patriotic" article by the reporter, where North America is evil (young French players with big egos, mean racist coach, anihilating defensive system, etc) and where Russia is the promised land

It makes sense. Russians are pissed off because they lose all their star players to North America, so this kind of article might be a try to influence young russians players to stay secure in mother Russia...

Il a joint la journaliste au téléphone dimanche soir afin de lui demander des explications et cette dernière lui aurait répondu qu'elle n'avait pas de contrôle sur le contenu de l'article paru dans l'hebdomadaire.

That absolutely takes the cake. The article is shite, time to move on to more pressing issues, like which 40+ goalie should BG have traded for?

You guys HAVE to read Rejean Tremblay's article (tuesday morning), he bitches the organisation, Kovalev, the russian players in general and, of course, the fans who are blinded by they love for the Canadiens. He sound like a psychotic guru who thinks he's surrounded by conspirations and is the only one (with his few friends) to know the Truth... or is it just a pathetic demonstration of inflated ego?

Tremblay and Bertrand are outdated. Both of them are too old and out of touch with the contemporary NHL. Their articles are nothing but political pressure. Tremblay and Bertrand are the Franco answer to Fisher, Todd and the old farts at The Gazette. Those two sides of the Habs-covering medias in Montreal have been fighting a game of influence on the Habs and the fans since the 80's.

When Réjean Tremblay burries Kovalev, he returns the favor to The Gazette who buried Ribeiro and Theodore in the past. He knows nothing about the Kovalev situation; but he finds a way to make it fit in his vendetta.

Edited by KoZed

Wow, even Foglia (for you non-Francos: Foglia is an old "life" columnist who rarely writes and has a huge popularity) jumped on the Kovalev story.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20070306...7/6527/CPSPORTS

Looks like La Presse is driving that story even harder.

What I wonder is this: why has Radiomayak pulled the interview from their website if Kovalev didnt say the things he did?

Edited by KoZed

What I wonder is this: why has Radiomayak pulled the interview from their website if Kovalev didnt say the things he did?

Go to Moscow and ask a Russian who is more of a hero. Pavel Bure or Kovalev.

They'll say Kovy everytime. I don't understand what the negativity on Bure is but Kovy is HIGHLY regarded. Chances are (since he's so popular) he requested it and they complied

I have enough of a hard time believing anything out of Russia's "mainstream" press, let alone tabloid sports journals. This is a country with major free press issues. Any article that has any Russian nationalist bent to it whatsoever should be scrutinized heavily.

I don't believe that Kovalev said what the newspapers claimed he said. It just doesn't make any sense why he would bad-mouth the team, coach and organization so blatently, and believe it would not get back to him. As Kovy himself said (I'm paraphrasing), "I'm not that stupid".

I can't help but believe that the so-called "journalist" noticed that the Habs had 4 days off after their March 3rd game, and figured he would stir things up by in Quebec by fabricating this trashy article. It's no wonder that some of the media in Quebec have a reputation acting like members of the tabloids.

I can't help but believe that the so-called "journalist" noticed that the Habs had 4 days off after their March 3rd game, and figured he would stir things up by in Quebec by fabricating this trashy article. It's no wonder that some of the media in Quebec have a reputation acting like members of the tabloids.

Ugh... the article in Russia exists, no Quebec journalist made it up. It was actually posted here before La Presse picked up on it. The question is weither or not it's true.

Edited by KoZed

The things we know to be true -

1. There is certainly no bias against Russian or European players in Montreal. Habs have as many Russians and Europeans on the roster as any team in the league, and they get the most ice time of any ethnic group.

2. Kovalev is an idiot and the team would be better off without him. He certainly didn't have to open up to some Russian tart journalist to establish that fact. It has been obvious almost from the moment he arrived in Montreal.

Surprisingly interesting insight from Dominic Roussel (old Philly goalie who columns for RDS now and again): this kind of thing is more current a weapon between teams than you'd think. He mentions a time a newspaper in Philly published an article supposedly coming from the Philly dressing room talking trash about fellow Flyers; years later, it was discovered that it was written by a Ranger.

You wonder how much it would cost to hire Vlad Malakhov to write the controversial stuff tacked on to the authentic bits? Or somebody on a team competing with the Habs for the playoffs...like, say, Ponikarovsky? It would explain why in the article, Kovalev seems so surprisingly admiring of the Maple Leafs...

Have a read here:

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/224720.html

I don't know if I buy it...if Kovalev was seething about the situation in Montreal, don't you think he would have said something about the organization's failure to get him a decent center to play with? I think that would have been something he'd have to let fly in a tell-all interview where he was venting his frustrations.

You wonder how much it would cost to hire Vlad Malakhov to write the controversial stuff tacked on to the authentic bits? Or somebody on a team competing with the Habs for the playoffs...like, say, Ponikarovsky? It would explain why in the article, Kovalev seems so surprisingly admiring of the Maple Leafs...

Have a read here:

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/224720.html

I think you might have something good there.

Blame it on Ponikarovsky!