Mathias Brunet questions Gainey's competency

Punkned

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about a player like Brian Campbell from the Sabres , it might take a 1st round pick but it might be worth it

Or how about Wolski from Colorado

Josh Gorges is the same player at 22 that Brian Campbell was. Further along in his development, actually, and bigger than Campbell.

Maybe they can trade Kyle Chipchura for Wolski... :( On draft day 2004, I was screaming "Wolski! Wolski!" when the #18 pick rolled around. I couldn't believe he was still on the board. Failing that, I thought that Mike Green was the next best choice. However.........

Josh Gorges is the same player at 22 that Brian Campbell was. Further along in his development, actually, and bigger than Campbell.

Maybe they can trade Kyle Chipchura for Wolski... :( On draft day 2004, I was screaming "Wolski! Wolski!" when the #18 pick rolled around. I couldn't believe he was still on the board. Failing that, I thought that Mike Green was the next best choice. However.........

Never, Chipchura will be way more valuable than Wolski along the road.

From Brian Burke's trade blog, he called Gainey to "whine" that he didn't get a call regarding Rivet. He made no mention of Souray at all.

"Wednesday, Feb. 21

I call Montreal's (GM) Bob Gainey and push him about whether he's going to move any of his defensemen. Gainey says he's unsure if he's selling. Timing is beginning to be a problem. I decide to push on this, but I don't get anywhere."

"Craig Rivet is traded to San Jose by Montreal, and I call and whine to Gainey about not calling me back and telling me he was available. He tells me that I was late to that party, and he had been talking to Doug Wilson for three weeks. Fair enough."

If you read through the rest of his blog, he makes it VERY apparent that he was not going to trade any quality prospects in any deal. Repeatedly culling offers because other teams wanted Ryan, Perry, Kunitz, etc. Reading through this is actually pretty interesting.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/...rke-diary_x.htm

The thing about "building for the future" which Gainey did pretty well at over the past week, I think, is that the starting point for "the future" is how and where the team finishes at the end of this season. Making the playoffs and lasting a round or two is definitely a better starting point the following year than finishing among the cellar dwellars. It is a delicate balance, but I think that maintaining respect and dignity in the present is a large part of building for the future.

Hey Guys 1st your are listening to a member of the Montreal media. This is the most destructive and negative tool known to mankind. his oppinion is worthless.

2nd: I believe it was Burke who said prices were too high and he was not going to pay big for a rental player. Boy I would really want to call him back when he inquires about my largest asset. Lets see how low can you go. Piss on him you can't have it both ways. If you don't want to pay don't phone.

3rd Gainey wants Souray in Montreal and will do all he can to sign him.

4th How many times have I read that Lowe did not have to trade Smyth since he had till July 1st to sign him?

Leave it to Bob he knows what he is doing even if he does not want to tell some piece of $hit journalist what it is. He and his article are exactly why Bob will not talk to them.

BOB HAS NEVER BEEN A LOSER AND HE NEVER WILL BE!

Edited by habs rule

If you read through the rest of his blog, he makes it VERY apparent that he was not going to trade any quality prospects in any deal. Repeatedly culling offers because other teams wanted Ryan, Perry, Kunitz, etc. Reading through this is actually pretty interesting.

Kunitz is about 3 years older than Shane O'Brien and not half the prospect that O'Brien is. I think it is very arguable that either Perry or Ryan is a better prospect than O'Brien for that matter. Look around and see how many 23 year old 230 pound defensemen who like to hit and fight and can run a PP at the same time. Mike Komisarek didn't look nearly as promising at 23 as O'Brien does. Burke is blowing smoke out his fat butt, which is what he is all about at the best of times. Canucks are a much healthier, smarter, and happier team since he left and Dave Nonis took over.

edit - Kunitz is 4 years older than O'Brien.

Edited by bobby

From Brian Burke's trade blog, he called Gainey to "whine" that he didn't get a call regarding Rivet. He made no mention of Souray at all.

"Wednesday, Feb. 21

I call Montreal's (GM) Bob Gainey and push him about whether he's going to move any of his defensemen. Gainey says he's unsure if he's selling. Timing is beginning to be a problem. I decide to push on this, but I don't get anywhere."

"Craig Rivet is traded to San Jose by Montreal, and I call and whine to Gainey about not calling me back and telling me he was available. He tells me that I was late to that party, and he had been talking to Doug Wilson for three weeks. Fair enough."

Well, that's a whole different kettle of fish, ain't it.

I think that most GMs talk most often with other GMs they like and respect. Burke is a cholestorol loaded blowhard, and I doubt that Gainey either likes or respects him very much.

Makes you wonder what he's be like as NHL commissioner. I've seen many media guys putting his name top on the list of successors to Bettman.

Edited by RobRock

Well, that's a whole different kettle of fish, ain't it.

Makes you wonder what he's be like as NHL commissioner. I've seen many media guys putting his name top on the list of successors to Bettman.

I've heard rumors that Burke accidently ate Bettman at a breakfast meeting recently.....:wacko:

The big fat idi0t Rejean Tremblay bashes Gainey again :

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20070303...5128/CPSPORTS01

Man I hate that guy. He was at "Au-dessus de la mêle" on Radio-Canada this week. Man he is so biaised against Gainey. He's pissed off because Gainey doesn't gives a $hit about the media. Previous DG were influencable, but Gainey isn't. If he doesn't want to talk to them, he doesn't do it, final. Gainey is showing those "know-best" journalist that he's the one in charge, no matter what they say or write.

Edited by Punkned

This journalist is trying to sell copy! Point final. I only wish someone would publish a series of his blunders ... but a journalist's life isn't as public as a GM's.

Now, I think BG is a crossroads ... and it will determine if his time in MTL is successful ... what he does about this recent losing streak, the possible problems in the lockerroom, and Carboneau not getting the job done.

Now, I think BG is a crossroads ... and it will determine if his time in MTL is successful ... what he does about this recent losing streak, the possible problems in the lockerroom, and Carboneau not getting the job done.

The decisions he'll make this summer will be very important, but the most important of all IMO will be the teams performance next season...

Gainey didn't make any trades (that brought players in) at the deadline because sometime its best not to .

Sometimes less is more.

While other teams were trading it was not like he was doing nothing.

I'm sure he was doing a lot of stuff behind the scenes to make the team better.

Edited by TheWhale

The decisions he'll make this summer will be very important, but the most important of all IMO will be the teams performance next season...

This will be the most important off-season since, probably, 1992-93 or so. Bob's moves will basically determine whether this franchise takes that elusive step toward contender status or continues to remain mired in mediocrity. He must, first, sign key UFAs (Markov, Souray) and resolve what to do about others (e.g., Bonk); second, he MUST acquire a bona-fide 1st line C through free agency or trade (Brière, Brière, Brière!!) - the lack of such a player is the single biggest reason for this season's disaster; and third, he must find a way to convey to the coaching staff that DEVELOPING THE YOUNG GUNS is the single biggest priority for the organization. Bu the first two decisions will be of historic importance for this team.

This will be the most important off-season since, probably, 1992-93 or so. Bob's moves will basically determine whether this franchise takes that elusive step toward contender status or continues to remain mired in mediocrity. He must, first, sign key UFAs (Markov, Souray) and resolve what to do about others (e.g., Bonk); second, he MUST acquire a bona-fide 1st line C through free agency or trade (Brière, Brière, Brière!!) - the lack of such a player is the single biggest reason for this season's disaster; and third, he must find a way to convey to the coaching staff that DEVELOPING THE YOUNG GUNS is the single biggest priority for the organization. Bu the first two decisions will be of historic importance for this team.

How can he sign Breire and keep Souray and Markov too

He will do well just two keep those two players

Plus the Sabres are owned by a billionare and I think they will try to keep Breire right where he is

Plus the Sabres are owned by a billionare and I think they will try to keep Breire right where he is

Billionaire or not, there's a cap. Nor will the Sabres be able to retain both Drury and Briere.

Billionaire or not, there's a cap. Nor will the Sabres be able to retain both Drury and Briere.

I think they will move some players to make it possible

I think they will cut numminen for one , and when they do the Habs could sign him

I dont think they can get Breire though

Edited by TheWhale

Keeping Souray will guarantee one thing and that is that we will be fighting for 8th or worse next season. We don't need a defender who can't defend and allows as many goals as he scores for 5 million!

Funny thing we could have gotten Briere for just about nothing when he was with Phoenix- and he showed signs of being a great playmaker even then. I really dont like our defence. We need a defenceman coach. You think Jacques Laperrierre will come back. As the old Gilbert Dionne line, the defence looks like its running around like a chicken without a head. Anyways it is a little early to be talking free agents. After the way Carbo has treated Samsonov it may be very difficult to lure anyone to Montreal.

Myeehhh....the media and the fans can prattle on to their hearts content about Gainey, I think he is pretty secure in his position. If this was the dark old days of the Habs being owned by a local business and run as a corporate symbol of French Canada, he would have to worry about the peasants at the gate. But now they are owned by an individual who is immune to local pressures and a pretty smart guy to boot.

Bob is the best GM in the business, hands down, and I think George Gillett understands that fact.

Bob is the best GM in the business, hands down, and I think George Gillett understands that fact.

I would not go that far, but do agree that Bob Gainey does have hockey knowledge most of us armchair G.M.'s just don't have. Experience... Stanley Cup experience with the old time hockey Habs in the past. I may not be Mr. Gainey's biggest fan, however I am glad he is running the club instead of someone with no experience. Plus you do have to give people time to do their job.

I would not go that far, but do agree that Bob Gainey does have hockey knowledge most of us armchair G.M.'s just don't have. Experience... Stanley Cup experience with the old time hockey Habs in the past. I may not be Mr. Gainey's biggest fan, however I am glad he is running the club instead of someone with no experience. Plus you do have to give people time to do their job.

Let's not misinterpret being a great hockey player with being a great GM. Lou Lamariello is a great GM, but he wasn't a great hockey player. Gainey was unquestionably a great hockey player. His work as a GM leaves a lot to be desired. Neither do great hockey players make great coaches Carbo and Grets are you listening -