Mathias Brunet questions Gainey's competency

Punkned

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far, I'd give Gainey a 'C' grade at best. He's not a terrible GM...but he's not particularily good thus far. He's going to have to pick it up a notch if this team is going to be a contender anytime soon.

These are reasonable questions to ask about Gainey, I suppose. If he didn't call Burke about Souray, that IS surprising. That he alienated and lost André Savard, after clearly being wrong about Beauchemin (Hainsey and Ward don't seem that big a deal to me), is also worrisome.

That he doesn't have detailed answers about the CBA at his fingertips at press conferences seems irrelevant (and the fact that Andre Savard had a more photographic memory doesn't tell us anything about their respective competence). Also, he says to journalists that he 'doesn't know much about Huet' when he acquires him - well, the significance of that depends on what it means to 'know much' about a player, and also bear in mind that the main piece of the puzzle in that deal was Bonk.

A lot of this is just backseat driving. You know, André Savard, praised in this article as Bob's superior, traded blood-and-guts young player Aran Asham for the useless Marius Czerkawski (for example). So I could have written a similar argument talking about the 'warning bells' triggered by Savard's mistakes. What comforts me is that guys like Sheldon Souray go around saying 'In Bob We Trust,' and Craig Rivet leaves town gushing about the huge respect he has for Gainey. That, and Bob's many Cup rings (won both as player and as GM) says more to me than handwringing with the benefit of hindsight.

I entirely agree with The Chicoutimi Cucumber...

IMO Gainey often deliberatly gives vague answers to the media, like when he said he'd "probably give a call" to the Carolina GM to inquire about Jack Johnson...

I don't think Gainey has much respect for the journalists, who for the majority have their opinions guided by their emotions instead of reason...

IMO, it's in spring 2009 that we'll be able to BEGIN to evaluate Gaineys plan.

That Burke "diary" was a lot of nonsense. Burke is an ex-lawyer and a future politician probably. He says everything but tells nothing. Do you honestly believe that the only players he discussed with all of the other GMS were players who actually were traded? Obviouly Burke can't say that he was really close to a deal for Souray (or whomever) and name all the names when those players still have to play for their team. Apparently there was a deal for Jason Blake and fat Brian didn't get the details in on time. He doesn't have too much to say about that. Missing page from the "diary". Wonder how many others there are. Burke is such a sanctimonius *, he makes it seem like he didn't get his deals done out of "loyalty to the younger players". How about the boneheaded move of trading his toughest, and one of his youngest, players Shane O'Brien, for a draft pick? Then scrambling around for some garbage at the 11th hour to try to fill the hole in the lineup that O'Brien left behind. He even got another young defenseman named O'Brien, maybe he hoped no one would notice the change.

I did. haha :D

i did too...

while imo he's totally right,

he's disclosing dangerous info, I don't want his detractor to use that and try to start a hate campain and have BG fired.

BG is way better than Houle or AS and way better than half of the league's GMs...

BG represents stability for the organisation, that's what we needed... we can't blame him for being stable now ;)

BG is way better than Houle or AS and way better than half of the league's GMs...

I'm inclined to agree, but please explain how and why?

BG represents stability for the organisation, that's what we needed... we can't blame him for being stable now wink.gif

I agree 100%

Burke probably lost Anaheim's chances to get the Cup at the trade deadline, failing to add anything. It's his fault and he knows it. He probably thought he could get Souray for cheap. I'm glad Gainey didn't dare to reply.

I find it very lame by Brunet to write that bashing article on Gainey. You just don't write an article and state all the mistakes of someone or a list of bad things just for the sake of making a person looks an idiot. There is no point in that and it's very not professional. He's just pissed off that Gainey doesn't wants to play the talking game with the media. And I'm fine with Gainey's decision.

You can write an article like that for anyone.. there's nobody perfect in this world. Lame.

Edited by sakiqc

BG is better than Houle, that's a no brainer... seriously.

BG is better than AS -> Grit wise. If that would be my sole argument, that'd be enough. AS traded Asham for Czerkawski, BG traded Hossa for Murray... One preferred useless floaters, the other prefers gritty players.

AS couldn't negotiate a contract to save his life and while he was better than houle on the trade table, he wasn't as nifty as I believe BG is...

AS wouldn't have had the cojones to trade Theo in due time, I'm 99% sure of that.

AS would ALSO have signed Sammy as would ANY OTHER GM... and to the satisfaction of 80% of the fans at the time of the signing anyways!!!

AS would not have been more able than Gainey to attract Arnott or Shanny... 28 other GMs failed in that attempt too... you cannot disregard that.

------------

League-wide GMs (Don't kid me with "that team is better than the habs", so the GM is betetr... if our team had finished last in the league for 5 years during the 90's, we'd be there too.):

Better than BG

ANA - One of the best GM, really masters the new NHL, really understood before any other GM that you need the best transition game to succeed 5 on 5.

BUFF - No comment

Vanc - Is Nonis Luck struck... or is he a Genius? anyways, Luongo and holding on the Sedin puts him in that list.

Nashville - Poile adapted in a terrific way to the new NHL. Trading for Forsberg might become questionable in the end though.

Detroit - Cannot overlook them there... Even my mom would make that list if she was GMing them... Best hockey organisation in the last 2 decades.

CGY - I love Suter!

Worse than BG

ATL - Was alright... untill he failed to either sign or trade for a #1 or 2 centerman... His deadline moves : not only overpaid, but he didn't address his need for a center!

OTT - that guy traded Havlat away... no more reason needed... but I'll still add that his team chokes year after year... I applaud the Heatley trade though.

NYR - Sather is one of the worst GM in the league.

T-Bay - Lecavalier, Richards, etc.. and on the bubble??!!

TO - Quinn wasn't necessarily good... Jr, is BAD!

Boston - Do I need to comment?

FLA - Martin is a good coach... But failing to re-sign Bertuzzi... and failing to improve his team with such a load of talent... FLA has the same make up as some teams which surprised in playoffs the last few seasons.

Washington - If you think BG is too immobile... look at that guy who failed to surround Ovechkin with lots of room under the cap... He could have at least tried to get one decent Dman.

Minny - Lemaire is the only reason that team is doing well... otherwise, look at the other expansion teams... and you'll be surprised at the difference in the quality of players. Risebrough is just starting to wake up, but didn't move at the deadline either, although his team is in a way better position than the habs.

St-Louis - such a pre-lockout loaded team, struggling that much? should be close to Detroit or Dallas since that's where they were before the lockout... Blame it all on JD!

Phoenix - made a lot of moves... which didn't pay! that sucks.

CBS - How can you struggle with Rick Nash on your lineup? That team really isn't doing anything.

Chicago - Khabi, Aucoin, etc...

On par with BG

Pittsburgh - I'll put him there for now... Drafting Malkin and Crosby doesn't mean he's a genius... it just means his team drafted 2nd and 1st in these draft years. He overpaid to get Roberts... but That move could pay.

NYISL - I have no reasons to put him above, no reasons to put him below... Smyth is a good acquisition, but Snow might have made the worse deadline move if his team fails to make the playoffs and Smyth leaves during offseason. The rest was already there.

Carolina - nothing that strikes me.

Philly - Holmgren is better than Booby. Is he better than BG? no idea for now.

Dallas - shipping Niinimaa was good... getting nagy? signing morrow to such a big contract?

COL - it remains to be seen what Giguère can do... We can't blame Lacroix's moves on him.

EDM - I don't like his moves... but he's always in tight situations. Not sure he has the choices... Can't blame him.

LA - how did they get that low? I cannot put him "worse than BG'" though since he got Jack Johnson for nearly free... Luck struck more than anything else... Blame Rutherford for that bad trade... cannot really praise LA that much.

Bg has turned the ship around talent wise, now the team needs to turn to those younger players and remove the core and the vets. He does have a plan, it took him a few years to turn the Stars around, they had alot more talent as well.

The only 2 faults i see so far is not moving Souray for a top pick and a yong player and signing the crappiest core of D men to long contracts. I wish they were all unrestricted so they can start over. Getting Gorges was a good move not to mention a first.

now the team needs to turn to those younger players and remove the core and the vets.

Then it seems that Saku isn't part of that vet core BG has to get rid off, or else why would he had re-sign him at 4,75 M$ for untill he's too old to skate?

Yea, i mentioned in another post. IMO that Kovalev, Koivu, Bouillon and Dandy were given too long of contracts. I don't think BG expected those guys to not show up this year.

Bg has turned the ship around talent wise, now the team needs to turn to those younger players and remove the core and the vets. He does have a plan, it took him a few years to turn the Stars around, they had alot more talent as well.

The only 2 faults i see so far is not moving Souray for a top pick and a yong player and signing the crappiest core of D men to long contracts. I wish they were all unrestricted so they can start over. Getting Gorges was a good move not to mention a first.

I want Souray to teach these youngsters how to become a winner... He's the only true vocal leader in that room IMO.

Yea, i mentioned in another post. IMO that Kovalev, Koivu, Bouillon and Dandy were given too long of contracts. I don't think BG expected those guys to not show up this year.

1. that's the new NHL... contracts are a bit lower in $$ but they are longer...

2. we couldn't assume that our kids would develop well enough to replace the vets... we are lucky to have such a high percentage of success right now!! but Kost, Plek, Perez, etc could have all been busts... in which case we'd be more than happy to still have Kov and Sammy, etc.

I think over the past 10 years, Gainey probably has the best winning percentage of any GM in the NHL. If you knock off his first couple of years after taking over the Minnesota/Dallas Stars. His teams have made the playoffs every season since 1994, I think. Proof is in the pudding. Or at least up there with Lou Lamariello and Scotty Bowman.

Edited by bobby

If he didn't call Burke about Souray, that IS surprising.

Why is it surprising? Why would you call another GM about a player you had no intention of trading? How many GMs did Burke call about Scott Niedermayer? Chris Pronger? Would you call up a buddy and ask him how much he'd give you for your car, even though you have no intention of selling it? It's a waste of time and energy to talk about players who aren't available. Gainey said he intended to re-sign Souray, and he wouldn't trade him. If Burke sat by his phone waiting to hear from Gainey about Souray, well that was just plain stupid. If Burke called Gainey about him, okay. But I'm sure Gainey got 15 or 20 calls a week about Souray since the All-Star break.

Why is it surprising? Why would you call another GM about a player you had no intention of trading? How many GMs did Burke call about Scott Niedermayer? Chris Pronger? Would you call up a buddy and ask him how much he'd give you for your car, even though you have no intention of selling it? It's a waste of time and energy to talk about players who aren't available. Gainey said he intended to re-sign Souray, and he wouldn't trade him. If Burke sat by his phone waiting to hear from Gainey about Souray, well that was just plain stupid. If Burke called Gainey about him, okay. But I'm sure Gainey got 15 or 20 calls a week about Souray since the All-Star break.

Yeah, maybe you're right. The more you think about it, the weirder it is that, if he was interested in Souray, BURKE didn't do the calling. OK, I take it back ^_^

Anyone consider that he didn't call Burke because he has every intention of keeping Souray? Anyone else notice that lately in interviews Souray has been hinting more and more about wanting to talk with the Habs? Anyone else read that he and his wife are expecting a second and that they're closer together than they were? Anyone else think it's possible, just possible now, that Burke has a bit of sour grapes because he didn't and couldn't get what he wanted while his competition did?

Just thinking out loud...

This team has good players they just need a few good bounces.

They are like maybe two good players away from being a great team

What about a player like Brian Campbell from the Sabres , it might take a 1st round pick but it might be worth it

Or how about Wolski from Colorado

Edited by TheWhale

Anyone consider that he didn't call Burke because he has every intention of keeping Souray? Anyone else notice that lately in interviews Souray has been hinting more and more about wanting to talk with the Habs? Anyone else read that he and his wife are expecting a second and that they're closer together than they were? Anyone else think it's possible, just possible now, that Burke has a bit of sour grapes because he didn't and couldn't get what he wanted while his competition did?

Just thinking out loud...

here here I ear you