Solutions to the Problem

Chris

I ahve several solutions to turn around the ship next year. Some people say I'm negative with my posts, but if you actually read them i say good and bad and try to follow up my statements with facts. So here goes my solutions and i'm sure i'll offend many posters.

First of all I think they can make some trades to make the team better. These i beleive are somewhat realistic. Only time will tell, Plus since this is such a good site, i'm sure BG reads.

Trade kovalev for Aucoin. Basically 1 problem for another. Same exact contracts.

Trade Koivu To Minnesota he may waive his clause to play with his brother. Get Rolston in return. 2 years left on each contract i beleive.

Trade or buy our samsonov. He works hard, so i wouldn't mind if he stayed.

Trader dandy and Bouillon, Edmonton is looking for a vet on D who can skate. may be able to get Torres back.

Do not resign any free agants accept for johnson, Markov.

trade pleks for a younger D man. IF you are going to sign a center. If not i'm happy with his efforts as #2.

Sign 2 UFA defenseman. Hannon, to pair up with markov, a puck maoving D man to play with Komi.

Sign a real goon, Boogard.

Line up.

Higgins Rolston Lats

Perez Pleks or new signing Kosty

Torres Chipchura Johnson

Begin Lapierre Boogard / Milroy

Hannon Markov

Komi Timonin (example)

Gorges Aucoin

This line up is obviously younger, faster, bigger and should be able to move the puck and forecheck better.

With the 2 first round picks, i get a center and a D man.

I have no idea who is out there to be drafted, Is there any one who could step right in?

Or they could trade the 2 picks for a top 5 pick. I don't know enough about the draft this year.

This team will be way more competitive.

lat i would fire one of the assistants and get a defensive coach in there.

I ahve several solutions to turn around the ship next year. Some people say I'm negative with my posts, but if you actually read them i say good and bad and try to follow up my statements with facts. So here goes my solutions and i'm sure i'll offend many posters.

First of all I think they can make some trades to make the team better. These i beleive are somewhat realistic. Only time will tell, Plus since this is such a good site, i'm sure BG reads.

Trade kovalev for Aucoin. Basically 1 problem for another. Same exact contracts.

Trade Koivu To Minnesota he may waive his clause to play with his brother. Get Rolston in return. 2 years left on each contract i beleive.

Trader dandy and Bouillon, Edmonton is looking for a vet on D who can skate. may be able to get Torres back.

trade pleks for a younger D man. IF you are going to sign a center. If not i'm happy with his efforts as #2.

Sign 2 UFA defenseman. Hannon, to pair up with markov, a puck maoving D man to play with Komi.

Line up.

Higgins Rolston Lats

Torres Chipchura Johnson

Hannon Markov

Komi Timonin (example)

Gorges Aucoin

This line up is obviously younger, faster, bigger and should be able to move the puck and forecheck better.

I have no idea who is out there to be drafted, Is there any one who could step right in?

Or they could trade the 2 picks for a top 5 pick. I don't know enough about the draft this year.

And who should we draft with the #1 pick in 2008?

Aucoin for Kovalev? I prefer we keep our russian "problem". He's having a bad year, but last year he notched 65 pts in 69 games while playing injuried for the first half of the season. I'd prefer take the risk with him rather than with Aucoin...

In overall, I don't think the lineup you propose is better than our actual one, except for the addition of Timmonen, which is improbable.

I'd stick with Gainey's plan : build from within. I'm pleased with what I've seen from Kosty lately, and Lapierre. Latendresse is in a slump but maybe he's getting tired. He's only 19 and plays a very demanding physical/forchecking style.

Youth is the solution, not trades, IMO

The Dandenault/Bouillon for Torres things wouldn't work and the Kovalev for Aucoin trade probably isn't a good fit either.

If there is any one thing that the Montreal Canadiens need and has been proven this year is a #1 Centre or a #1/#1a centreman. When Huet was healthy this team had the goaltending it needed to compete. The defense was very good at the start of the season and has been shakey of late, but thats whathappens when your confidence is shot! Earlier in teh year Montreal was giving up alot of shots (perimeter shots) and the defense was very good at clearing the initial rebound and not giving up second chances. NOw guys like Souray as just standing around not taking the body and watch guys pop home rebound.

But the offence has been terrible except for the PP, and SHeldon Souray. This team is in such a need for a an offensive centre that it has actually come down to Montreal missing the playoffs. Teams simply take Koivu, Ryder and Higgins out of the game, and nobody else seems to muster any offence.

Your telling me that Samsonov and Kovalev guys who can easily score 20 goals a year can't even pop 15 3/4's of the way through the season?

It is time for this team to step up and make the trade necessary to get a #1 centre in here. And that doesn't mean trading away Koivu. The point is to have 2 centres who are capable of being #1.

In the offseason Montreal will probably have the chance to get a centre like this. They'll have the cap room to do it

- Rivet is gone and that frees up $2.5 Million dollars

- Souray will leave and that free's up $2.5 Million dollars

- Aebischer is gone with his $1.9 Million

- The Salary cap is suppose to increase by almost $4 Million dollars.

Right there Montreal has more than $10 Million to work with right there.

Assests.

- Montreal has 2 first round picks in the 2007 entry draft. Looks like one could be as high as 10th or so overall. The other will probably be in the low 20's

- There second round pick will also be relatively high

- Could also use their 2008 first round pick.

- Montreal has plenty of youth which teams COVET now in the salary cap era.

- Kostitsyn looks like a prime propect again.

- Perezhogin is a solid player who should score 20 goals

- Plekanec looks like he's discovered his scoring touch and is playing well defensively

- Grabovski looks very exciting in Hamilton and looks to be a blue chipper

- Chipchura looks good as well in Hamilton playing a good two way game wiht leadership potential

- Halak looks promising and is expendable with Carey Price on the way.

- Aubin, D'Agostini and Lapierre (already is) all look like they could be NHL'ers.

- Ben Maxwell, S. Kostitsyn and Ryan White are solid Jr Propects

- Russian prospects include Kostantin Korneev and Alexi Yemelin

They have NHL talent they can deal from

- Michael Ryder - 30 goal scorer

- A surplus of depth defensmen with the emergence of Mark Streit

- Kovalev and Samsonov are stretch's to be dealt, but either could be attractive.

Who would I recommend, or do I think will be available this offseason? Four names come to mind. Pavel Datsyuk and Scott Gomez, Chris Drury and Daniel Briere. All four teams have salary cap considerations, especially The Devils, and The Sabres and the Devils and Red Wings have failed in negoatiations with Datsyuk and Gomez.

HOw to do it

Most likely one of Drury or Briere will become available. Montreal could trade a prospect( not a blue chipper) or a draft pick (Not a first rounder) for the rights to either in the offseason before they become UFA's. If Montreal is able to come to a contract with them, Buffalo gets the prospect or pick. If not, then the deal doesn't go through.

I'm not sure if Datsyuk and Gomez are eligible to become UFA? If so, then the same deal would apply as above. If not, then the trade would involve more Montreal Canadiens property.

The other player that may become available,a nd we won't know till after the playoffs is Joe Thornton. If he tanks again in the playoffs, he may be on hsi way out of San Jose. Thats where Montreal would need to step in and use their resources to aquire him. But if he steps up and delivers, he ain't going nowhere.

Anyways, Montreal has the assets monetarily and prospect wise to make it happen, they just need to go out and do it. Its the biggest need Montreal has

Try to get DuMont from Nashville

He is french canadian and he will understand Guy

Try to sign Marty Biron he will be a UFA

He is french canadian too and he will understand Guy

Then try to get Wolski from Colorado , give them a good reason to trade, because Wolski will be like a 40+ goal scorer in the NHL

He's from Poland BTW

40+ goals will be a big help

I think those 3 moves will put it over the top and the Habs will turn the corner

Plus those are all plausable moves the Habs can get out of the cellar with

Edited by TheWhale

Kaos' post makes a lot of sense.

I think BG has been patient. He knew we were not one or two rentals from the cup - new wine in old bottles. He knew the team needs a bigger overhaul. He knew he would always be dealing from weakness before the deadline (unless it was Souray to a true contender).

I am really inclined to believe that he has a verbal commitment with Souray and will resign him in the off-season, as illogical as that sounds. I myself had several times stated that he should deal Souray at all costs, but surely something has been tentatively worked out. Of course there is no factual basis for this feeling, other than observation.

He couldn't make a huge overhaul when we were sitting in 7th. That would be laughable, career suicide: who throws it in when you're in the playoffs? And a move like getting Belfour might have given us, what, one round, or even a huge upset and some unrealistic performances from other players, maybe sneak into the second? But over 7 games no way does this team get past NJ, TB or even Buff. This is what BG wants to change. He wants a team that not only shows up every night, but that can go in to the Dead-o-lands and rip the f**k out of those scum Devils (sorry, but I really hate that whole organisation - hockey destroyers).

This is Gainey, though: the overhaul won't be a series of huge trades, trades, trades. I think more likely something like this will happen:

1) Koivu moves to the second line.

2) Ninimaa is dumped.

3) A UFA 1st line ctr is signed.

4) Markov and Souray re-signed (if the rumours about the cap increase are true, we'll be able to sign them both + #3)

5) Kovalev is traded for another puck-moving dman. Biggest deal of the off-season.

6) Souray is paired with Gorges, who is told d first.

7) Cube is traded, maybe packaged with Abby - maybe to get that d-dman to play with Souray if Gorges can't cut it.

8) Only one of Bonk/Johnson re-signs.

9) Kids coming up get real shots at the NHL.

10) Maybe something like Ryder + a kid for a more consistent goalscorer (I mean not over a season, but less streaky: Ryder's cold streaks are absolutely killer). Long shot I know, but if MR is a bitch to deal with in arbitration, they might want the move.

Of course I'd snap up Gomez in a heartbeat if he was available.

I also think BG and Carbo will have a few long, long talks in the offseason.

Edited by tokyohabs

The other player that may become available,a nd we won't know till after the playoffs is Joe Thornton. If he tanks again in the playoffs, he may be on hsi way out of San Jose. Thats where Montreal would need to step in and use their resources to aquire him. But if he steps up and delivers, he ain't going nowhere.

Hell NO!!!....So everyone can whine about the stiff in the play-offs....... Screw Thorton!!!!!

Edited by SAKS-AVENUE

Kaos' post makes a lot of sense.

[...]

This is Gainey, though: the overhaul won't be a series of huge trades, trades, trades. I think more likely something like this will happen:

1) Koivu moves to the second line.

2) Ninimaa is dumped.

3) A UFA 1st line ctr is signed.

4) Markov and Souray re-signed (if the rumours about the cap increase are true, we'll be able to sign them both + #3)

5) Kovalev is traded for another puck-moving dman. Biggest deal of the off-season.

6) Souray is paired with Gorges, who is told d first.

7) Cube is traded, maybe packaged with Abby - maybe to get that d-dman to play with Souray if Gorges can't cut it.

8) Only one of Bonk/Johnson re-signs.

9) Kids coming up get real shots at the NHL.

10) Maybe something like Ryder + a kid for a more consistent goalscorer (I mean not over a season, but less streaky: Ryder's cold streaks are absolutely killer). Long shot I know, but if MR is a bitch to deal with in arbitration, they might want the move.

Of course I'd snap up Gomez in a heartbeat if he was available.

I also think BG and Carbo will have a few long, long talks in the offseason.

I generally agree with what you (and Kaos) have said.

Couple of little points:

Although I really havent seen that much of Gorges, I don't think I'd love the idea of him playing #4 minutes.

You really can't package abby with anything, he's a UFA.

Moving Kovalev, Ryder, Cube, and bringing in a top-UFA centre would be an intense offseason for Gainey, I don't know if he would be prepared to rework the team to that extent. That being said, perhaps it would help in convincing the desireable UFAs to stay. Something like "Sheldon, you don't have to deal with Kovalev and you have Briere (dreaming) to take up the media spotlight"

----------------------------------

Serious stuff now.

Rivet - Gorges = 2M

Niinimaa = 2.5M

Sammy = 3.75M (someone will take him)

Aebischer - Halak = 1M

=> roughly 9M

raise to Markov -> 3M

raise to Souray -> 3M

3M left.

cap increase - 4M

7M left

choice to make, keeping or not keeping Bonk and MJ...

I'd keep MJ and give Bonk's spot to Plek. Saving an additional 2M, which would take care fo the raises to all the RFAs... maybe cut 1M to the 7M too, to make sure all the raises are accounted for.

that's 6M in the coffres.

If we trade Kovalev, we could even have 10.5M... dream on

if we trade sammy, we will have to take back salary... I doubt we would save too much.

7M left

choice to make, keeping or not keeping Bonk and MJ...

I'd keep MJ and give Bonk's spot to Plek. Saving an additional 2M, which would take care fo the raises to all the RFAs... maybe cut 1M to the 7M too, to make sure all the raises are accounted for.

that's 6M in the coffres.

wouldn't that work out to 8 mil?

if we trade sammy, we will have to take back salary... I doubt we would save too much.

wouldn't that work out to 8 mil?

i think some team with caproom might want him... particularly if they cant afford or do not win the Gomez et al derby

no, i said CUT 1M from the 7M to be safe... so that's 6M

Interesting ideas. Whichever way the team goes, I think it's clear that Gainey's got his work cut out for him this summer.

Waiting on the sidelines until snapping up a second-tier free agent like Samsonov won't do.

i think some team with caproom might want him... particularly if they cant afford or do not win the Gomez et al derby

no, i said CUT 1M from the 7M to be safe... so that's 6M

you know what I did? I totally missed the part about allocating Bonk's salary to raises. Sorry about that.

I wonder how long Gillette will be willing to spend to the cap. I wonder where this team's personal budget is.

you know what I did? I totally missed the part about allocating Bonk's salary to raises. Sorry about that.

I wonder how long Gillette will be willing to spend to the cap. I wonder where this team's personal budget is.

Considering they were well over what the current cap was before it was instilled, I would think he's fine with the spending.

Also, we need a sticky post on the Habs salary, UFAs/RFAs for next season. It's been posted a million times.

Interesting ideas. Whichever way the team goes, I think it's clear that Gainey's got his work cut out for him this summer.

Waiting on the sidelines until snapping up a second-tier free agent like Samsonov won't do.

Personally, I would say that at the time, Samsonov was one of the bigger names out there. Gainey will have the capsapce t obring in a top center this summer. The question is what to do with Grabovsky (Chipchura can wait another year).

Sorry, I forgot about Abby as a UFA. More money on the cap space, it seems.

My Gorges idea was only tentative; my Ryder trade even more so. I think a lot of teams might bite at Kovalev, especially if they feel they are missing a key PP forward. Atlanta has snipers but something is evidently very wrong with their PP. If this is the only 'big' trade BG makes this year, it will fundamentally change the dynamic of the team, and, if we can permit some wild speculation, possibly the dressing room as well.

Grabovsky for sure gets a legit shot at training camp, as do Kostisyn and others. Alexstream has it right with the Bonk/Johnson idea: the savings go to RFA's, the spot goes to Plecks.

Some UFA ctr in (big money) and maybe a D through trades (with the ability to make consistent a-to-b passes, please).

I'm sure BG knows much better than all of us how the team has been over the past several years. He probably has also figured out that you don't build perennial contenders with teams tanking after Christmas and battling for 8th spot. I also wonder if he sees any cliques developing again, to the detriment of the team.

Line up.

Higgins Rolston Lats

Torres Chipchura Johnson

Hannon Markov

Komi Timonin (example)

Gorges Aucoin

trade saku for rolston? trade kovalev for another useless defenceman ? trade plekanec one of our best players since christmas?