Media handcuff Habs

mathieu30

Media handcuff Habs, legends say

Cournoyer says an unhealthy, even frantic media obsession with the Canadiens, which produced this week's feeding frenzy over what Kovalev might have said to a Russian reporter, ultimately will scare players beyond Montreal's contract reach.

"Today there are so many people who want to write and say things, just to make a name for themselves and be popular," he said. "And they make a mountain of bull----.

"We ask why players like Brendan Shanahan don't want to come here," Cournoyer added of last summer's coveted free agent, who joined the New York Rangers. "A lot of guys don't say it, but they don't want to come here because it's not as simple as coming to just play hockey.

"If I'm playing now, I'd be worried about coming to Montreal, knowing I'd be crucified if I said something even a little wrong. The mentality when a player considers the Canadiens now is: 'Oh (expletive), do I want to go to Montreal?' And that's a shame, because this is a great hockey town and fans here are crazy about the game."

"This is a hell of a thing, thinking about scaring players out of coming to Montreal," he said. "This could be the best hockey town, ever, to play in. But if we continue on like this, we're just going to demolish it."

:hlogo:

What an excellent article ... and awesome the Cournoyer and Richard spoke out against the crap that passes for journalism in this city.

As I've said a hundred times: I miss the Nordiques ... that way they would be the bastard child of Quebec hockey, and the unreal expectations would be placed on them .... great stuff!

I would bash the Francophone sports media right about now, but certain people don't take too kindly to it.

Edited by Bacchus

This article exemplifies the long tradition that this organization has. The veterans have always stood up for the organization when it counts most.

This was exactly what the team needs for the future! Two former captains, both steeped in the legend of this franchise, both Francophone and both well respected in the English community as well as the French community.

It is this entity - the mystique that has made this franchise so much different from the others?

:hockey: :hlogo: :hockey:

:ghg:

Edited by beliveau1

This article exemplifies the long tradition that this organization has. The veterans have always stood up for the organization when it counts most.

This was exactly what the team needs for the future! Two former captains, both steeped in the legend of this franchise, both Francophone and both well respected in the English community as well as the French community.

It is this entity - the mystique that has made this franchise so much different from the others?

:hockey: :hlogo: :hockey:

:ghg:

Unfortunately, if these two do have an impact, it will be momentarily in the history of things. There are much deeper rooted reasons for the fact that Quebec makes this kind of journalism popular. And it will take more than two respected men to change an entire province's philosophy on things ... at least not these two guys on this particular issue.

Unfortunately, if these two do have an impact, it will be momentarily in the history of things. There are much deeper rooted reasons for the fact that Quebec makes this kind of journalism popular. And it will take more than two respected men to change an entire province's philosophy on things ... at least not these two guys on this particular issue.

Never said it will change politics - I think it was a comment that was directed more at the hockey world itself, than just the province of Quebec. A statement of solidarity from 2 very respected patriarchs of this organization. And right now a momentary change in the direction of this so called controversy is what is needed. A lull in the storm that allows them to move forward.

Unfortunately you cannot always change stupidity? In some cases, prejudices(right or wrong) are all too often beyond reason and repair.... :(

Edited by beliveau1

Part of the problem stems from the loss of the Expos, and the seeming disintrest that these media outlets show towards amateur sport. With a ravenous readership to keep fed and little coverage of anything but bleu blanc rouge it is only a matter of time before these journos, desperate themselves to keep their gig (free habs tickets), fall back to sensational reporting.

But that's not the only reason players don't want to come here. Language, salary, education system... these are all factors that play heavily against the 514 for most north american anglo nhl'ers. (Euro players on the other hand feel comfortable in this environment as many have at least a passing understanding of French, don't mind their kids learning it, and will trade a lower salary for a higher quality of post game restaurant/strip-club)

I think the Habs need to play up these things that attract euros, we should get ourselves a european assistant coach. Maybe Kirk "is work" Muller will be moving on soon, a perfect opportunity to enlist someone from overseas (I'd rather keep Jarvis). Lord knows there are more than enough great european players out there for us. Francophone players will almost always feel passionate about the habs, I think this is a good time for the team to really play up it's international nature and enlist the Kovalchuks and Ovetchkins of the world to grasp the torch from faltering franco fingers...

What are the rules with respect ot he media? Would the Habs organization not benefil from placing certain resptrictions on media coverage? Lets say, in responce to the obsessive coverage by the montreal media, the habs placed restrictions on the amount of allowed face time with the players and coaches. By doing this, in combination with certain city bylaws preventing the media from harassing player/families, perhaps it would make the situation better for the players and help attract new talent. We know the problem is not with the money being offered (salary cap fixed this) but rather with the inhospitable nature of living/playing in this market. So if the city and organization took steps to counter this, perhaps it would alieviate this problem. The only question is, would the NHL stand for this. Thoughts??

(Euro players on the other hand feel comfortable in this environment as many have at least a passing understanding of French, don't mind their kids learning it, and will trade a lower salary for a higher quality of post game restaurant/strip-club)

I think that with the salary these guys make, they cana fford to send their kids to anglo private school...c'mon!

What are the rules with respect ot he media? Would the Habs organization not benefil from placing certain resptrictions on media coverage? Lets say, in responce to the obsessive coverage by the montreal media, the habs placed restrictions on the amount of allowed face time with the players and coaches.

The flip side of this, the more restrictions you put on media face time, the more garbage the media will make up so they can maintain their readership. And trash sells. If the media is going to make stuff up, they aren't going to make it all happy smiley.

Then perhaps this can be treated as a punishment. If the media persists with sabotaging both the team and the prospect of attracting free agents, then the team would have the recourse of placing some temporary restrictions. I'm not talking about limiting the freedom of speech, but at least giving the organization a chance to turn down the heat if necessary. Think about it, if a major company is getting all sorts of negative/slander media coverage, they have the right to restrict media access, should an NHL team not have the same rights? If the Montreal media is causing disctractions to the players, I think the team should have the right to cancel post-game interviews and access to practises etc... I'm sure it is hard to focus on practise and hockey if you are constantly swarmed by the media.

Edited by cfposi

Boohoo, they only get millions of dollars why should any expectations or responsibilities be placed on them? So Montreal holds its players accountable for their play and their mouths cry me a river. If a player would rather go to some ditch like nashville where no one and their dog even know how to spell hockey instead of play for Montreal because they might read a article in the media about them then go. I couldn't care less.

Blaming the media and public for Montreal management's lack of ability to garner a top star is disgusting, take some blame once in awhile!

Boohoo, they only get millions of dollars why should any expectations or responsibilities be placed on them? So Montreal holds its players accountable for their play and their mouths cry me a river. If a player would rather go to some ditch like nashville where no one and their dog even know how to spell hockey instead of play for Montreal because they might read a article in the media about them then go. I couldn't care less.

Blaming the media and public for Montreal management's lack of ability to garner a top star is disgusting, take some blame once in awhile!

really? so when the next batch of UFAs this summer refuses to come you won't be upset???

When the stars of yesterday; the passionate fans of today feel that we are headed down a bad road, we need to listen.

There is no doubt montreal is like NY when it comes to hockey; we should expect media coverage. But the shameful articles have no place in either forum, be it baseball or hockey.

Just has Richard and Cournoyer have done we too need to voice our displeasure with bad reporting and focus on our teams recovery be it this season into the playoffs or next years rebuilding process.

Either way, our credibility will be taken into account in the eyes of fans and players, the media will adapt to our demands too!

GO HABS GO!

The problem lies between justifiable accountability and unaccountable sensationalism - there is a great deal of difference between the two.

Most here aren't opposed to the former; it is the latter form of scrutiny however that definitely has an affect on someone's definition. It is highly unlikely that it is not a primary focus in the decision process, but it does end up on the list of pro's and con's when someone is deciding between two very similar compensation offers. Obviously the problem is definitely much bigger than just laying the responsibility solely at the feet of the media. However Richard and Cournoyer are basically right when they addressed the aspect of irresponsible journalism. Anyone who thinks that players aren't looking at that kind of scrutiny is hiding their head in the sand.

My favourite comment in this excellent article is this:

Cournoyer agrees, pointing to the variety of nationalities represented on the Canadiens in a global NHL. And his blood boils when he considers the heat current captain Saku Koivu takes for not speaking French.

"Koivu hasn't done much this week, right? He's only committed to raising $750,000 for the Montreal General Hospital," he said. "I mean, how much can this guy do? I'm lucky to speak two languages, but he's supposed to learn a third, on top of all he's been through and does for his team, and does for the city he loves that some people are trying to make him hate.

Well said.

Yes, these guys make millions, but really - to have media scumbags take flash pictures of your gouged eyeball in the hospital (at considerable risk of permanently worsening the damage)? To be massively attacked and - in Keane's case - basically driven out of town for not speaking the right language? To have the leading paper publish articles of questionable provenance that have you slagging the team? To be relentlessly pilloried for NOT being stupid and trading away youth to bolster a shitty lineup, after having lost your daughter in a horrible at-sea accident? To be accused of anti-French racism when your team is battling in the Stanley Cup finals (Pat Burns, 1989)? For that matter, to be publicly humiliated night in night out, because the coaches have you playing D on your wrong side (Brisebois)? Sorry - in the NHL, there's easier ways to make millions.

I remember Brent Gilchrist, after he was traded, saying that every day he would go into work at the Forum, and take a deep breath, steeling himself for the stress and pressure. That's not a healthy work environment. No one, rich or working class, deserves to feel like shit all the time just for doing their job.

And I dunno, maybe I'm nuts, but I get the feeling that there might be a change in the air. I think people are getting sick of the inhumane and relentless attacks on Habs players/coaches/personnel, especially since this obviously hurts the team's chances of attracting UFAs. This Kovalev business may just be the tipping point that starts a shift toward a greater level of sanity. More articles like this, more legends speaking out, that may effect the change we need.

And I dunno, maybe I'm nuts, but I get the feeling that there might be a change in the air. I think people are getting sick of the inhumane and relentless attacks on Habs players/coaches/personnel, especially since this obviously hurts the team's chances of attracting UFAs. This Kovalev business may just be the tipping point that starts a shift toward a greater level of sanity. More articles like this, more legends speaking out, that may effect the change we need.

I friggin' hope so. This has been getting ridiculous!

I don't understand. Are you saying Cournoyer should take some blame? What did he do? He's a HHOF'er and a legend. This gives him clout. What he is saying here has some merit.

Bahahaha a PICK! In a draft no one even gives a rats behind about if you are out of the top 5 picks! If that pick is so important to you for the furture wouldnt two good prospects have felt even better?

When Smyth resigns with the oil and the isles get booted from the playoffs the oil will have gotten O'marra, and Niilsson for NOTHING! Plus a pick.

I haven't responded to this yet. I can't wait for him to sign a new contract. When that happens one of us are going to say, "I told you so"

I wouldn't put too much faith in you saying it to me. ;)

It is survival of the fittest in professional sports. In Montreal there is just an extra beast or two in the jungle. The players with intelligence and character deal with it and defeat it. The Patrice Brisebois' and Alex Kovalevs whine and pout. I'm all for the press weeding out the spineless and the stupid.

It is survival of the fittest in professional sports. In Montreal there is just an extra beast or two in the jungle. The players with intelligence and character deal with it and defeat it. The Patrice Brisebois' and Alex Kovalevs whine and pout. I'm all for the press weeding out the spineless and the stupid.

Are you all for Francophone reporters asking Koivu why he hadn't mastered French during the press conference regarding the status of his injured eye last year?

That was garbage. If the press want to lean on certain players that's fine but lean on the on ice performance please. The poor guy who has been our heart and soul ends up facing the threat of losing sight in one eye and his career is in jeopardy. And what do they ask him?

:wacko:

One question Franco media. Just one; WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH THE FREAKIN' PRICE OF FISH?

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

Hey, if I was being paid nearly $5 million a year for my services and the worst thing I had to deal with was an insensitive question or two, I'd find a way to deal with it. :)

Beats going to Afghansitan and living in constant fear of being killed or crippled at any moment for 30k a year, or whatever those servicemen earn. :angry:

Hey, if I was being paid nearly $5 million a year for my services and the worst thing I had to deal with was an insensitive question or two, I'd find a way to deal with it. :)

Beats going to Afghansitan and living in constant fear of being killed or crippled at any moment for 30k a year, or whatever those servicemen earn. :angry:

Yah, but if you had the CHOICE to serve in Afghanistan or the Bahamas, you'd probably pick the Bahamas. And so do most NHL players. And I don't blame 'em.

I hate to say it but The Chicoutimi Cucumber is correct. Also if you could choose to make the same money play in a warmer climate and not have any media pressure which would you choose?

Personally I would not want to play anywhere but Montreal, Toronto, New York, Detroit or other popular hockey markets. I enjoy the pressure and although it may be nice to wear shorts to the rink on a regular basis it just would not feel right.

really? so when the next batch of UFAs this summer refuses to come you won't be upset???

NOT ONE BIT, if the media is keeping away the whingy primadonnas that would rather complain about the media than do their job good work!

I don't understand. Are you saying Cournoyer should take some blame? What did he do? He's a HHOF'er and a legend. This gives him clout. What he is saying here has some merit.

I haven't responded to this yet. I can't wait for him to sign a new contract. When that happens one of us are going to say, "I told you so"

I wouldn't put too much faith in you saying it to me. ;)

I have heard it several times how the media drives players away from signing here and you know what maybe management has been the one to blame, whether they don't want to pay the price or have been ineffectual in negotiations I don't know but wave enough cash under someones nose and they will play on the surface of the sun. Giving up a job just because some nasty columns get written is insane.

And don't post one comment out of a whole argument I barely remember and expect me to take you seriously, you want to give me my comeuppance your gonna have to bring more then that.

Yah, but if you had the CHOICE to serve in Afghanistan or the Bahamas, you'd probably pick the Bahamas. And so do most NHL players. And I don't blame 'em.

DON'T compare playing hockey for millions of dollars and taking some scrutiny to risking your life in a war zone for a fraction of the pay. Thats ridiculous.

And don't post one comment out of a whole argument I barely remember and expect me to take you seriously, you want to give me my comeuppance your gonna have to bring more then that.

That response is good enough for me to know it did give you a little bellyache. He he

Well, you can hardly blame the Montreal press for the climate. Or the taxes.

Actually, some probably do.... :(