When will Price play?

I'd like to see Price have at least 1 full year in Hamilton ... that is what Kolzig recommends, and he knows WAY more than me about Price and being a pro goalie.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see Price have at least 1 full year in Hamilton ... that is what Kolzig recommends, and he knows WAY more than me about Price and being a pro goalie.

and i agree with you... no need to rush the kid...

he'll grow into the position if he has the wherewithall to deal with it... which is not a definite deal yet... it may look good but looks can still be deceiving...

GO :hlogo: GO!

I have no concerns that Gainey will sign Price...none...it's a non-issue.

I also don't think we'll see Price, on the roster for a full year, for at least 3 more years.

They will want him to get as much playing time as possible to develop completely...and that will only occur in the minors for 2-3 years yet.

When Jack Johnson signed with the Kings, it said that he would get the rookie max ($850k per season) plus bonuses that "WILL EARN HIM MILLIONS MORE". That was directly from the NHL website. So obviously there is a lot more to the top end entry level contacts than simply the rookie max. Pretty well all first rounders get $850k per season, and later picks as well, if they develop substantially between the time they were drafted and the time they sign. There had to be a reason that Carolina let Johnson go so cheaply to the Kings, and I think it was tied up in the contract he was asking for. The same could happen with Price. Montreal has a real decision to make in the next 2 months. If Halak continues to play well, do they need another top young goalie who will require a substantial signing bonus and probably some sort of gaurantees in terms of other achievable bonuses, or would they be better off to trade his rights for a position player and/or high draft pick that might be more helpful? I don't think it is nearly as straightforward as you guys want to make it out to be. If it was, he would have signed back in July of 2005.

I think the bonuses rookies can earn are all mandated (and possibly paid) by the league. Thus his bonus money will be the same where ever he signs

Well, I can't say you're wrong, since I really don't know what is mapped out in the CBA regarding rookie bonuses. But it seems to me that they would have to be an individual thing. Each player brings something a little different to a team, and each team is looking for something unique in each draft pick. The bonus structure would have to be worked out in great detail between the team and the player. Hard to "mandate" I would think.

I think the bonuses rookies can earn are all mandated (and possibly paid) by the league. Thus his bonus money will be the same where ever he signs

well, regardless to what johnson will make, still we're confident that price will sign with the canadiens... they've shown respectful interest in him and there's been no reports (and you can be sure that there will be with the nose-in-everything-looking-for-a-'scandal'-like-story media) of any animosity or growing distance between price and the canadiens...

GO :hlogo: GO!

Well, I can't say you're wrong, since I really don't know what is mapped out in the CBA regarding rookie bonuses. But it seems to me that they would have to be an individual thing. Each player brings something a little different to a team, and each team is looking for something unique in each draft pick. The bonus structure would have to be worked out in great detail between the team and the player. Hard to "mandate" I would think.

Here is what the NHL rules say.

------------------

How much can Entry Level players make?

Entry Level players will be subject to a maximum annual salary (plus signing and games played bonuses) of $850,000 for 2005 and 2006 draftees;

The maximum combined signing bonus will be limited to 10% of the player's maximum annual compensation in any year.

Entry Level players may negotiate for performance bonuses up to a maximum of $850,000 in individual "Schedule A" bonuses per year (maximum of $212,500 per bonus). A player may also be eligible to earn individual "B" bonuses for League-wide excellence, which will, as a general matter, be paid by the League. In addition, a player will be eligible to negotiate with his club "excess" individual "B" bonuses, subject to a maximum aggregate of $2 million in any year.

------------------

The schedule A bonuses are mandated to be for reaching milestones in one of the following categories(for goalies)

Minutes played

GAA

Save %

Wins

Shutouts

All Rookie team selection

All Star team selection

All star MVP

The teams may set various $ amounts for various milestones in these categories but these amounts are

resticted fairly closely (including the max of 212,500 per category mentioned above).

The schedule B bonuses are all entirely mandated by the league (which pays them under normal circumstances). There are a bunch of them. For example, if Price either wins the Lady Byng or else finishes (alone in) 3rd for the Vezina he scoops an extra $150,000 from the league.

Edited by Peter Puck

On tsn, Bobby Mac has a piece on the Kings getting in trouble with the league for signing a defensemen out of college, in his contract he included a bonus of 15K or more for 5, 10 and 15 games played, so the league voided the contract saying it was against the cba to give that kind of bonus in a rookie contract. So of course the kings say it's not but Bobby Mac says that other gm's are happy cause they don't want other rookies asking for that kind of bonus.

That Bulis check on Johnson was a bit sketchy. Shades of Hilliard Graves or Bryan Marchement. Hip check to the knees type of thing. But Jack just kept after the puck. He looked really good out there. Bulis will get his, you can be sure of that.

That Bulis check on Johnson was a bit sketchy. Shades of Hilliard Graves or Bryan Marchement. Hip check to the knees type of thing. But Jack just kept after the puck. He looked really good out there. Bulis will get his, you can be sure of that.

Catch him if you can, booby! You'll have to get through me first! :P

I'm pretty sure that JJ can deal with Bulis on his own. He will get the chance on Saturday night, I think. The joint should be rocking when "Black Jack" returns to Vancouver. :clap:

You have to love Johnson, though. He is a throwback type of player who brings so much more to the game than simply his hockey skills. Not that those wouldn't be enough.

Price and TC stay alive for another day. 5-4 ot win. I listened to the game but turned it off after it was 4-1 TC, but seattle came back and scored 2 goals in the final 1:10 of the game. Price let in 4 goals on 47 shots.

50 shots was the final total. Carey got the first star of the game.

Makes you wonder if he was eliminated if Montreal would try to sign him quickly and bring him to Montreal. Their goaltending seems to be in a bit of a shambles at the moment. I don't think Halak is accustomed to playing so many games in a row, and the alternatives seem even worse at the moment. :(

Great for Carey looks like his team was dominated in the 2nd and 3rd especially.

No way he comes to Montreal this year unless four of Huet, Abby, Halak, Leighton, Danis are injured.

Great for Carey looks like his team was dominated in the 2nd and 3rd especially.

No way he comes to Montreal this year unless four of Huet, Abby, Halak, Leighton, Danis are injured.

even then I think they would ask boston for phil sauvé

Edited by marky_and_komi

Well now we find out. Although Price seemed to choke in the final game. Probably means that Montreal wouldn't want to try him out in a pressure situation.

Choked? Hardly. He was on the tail-end of back-to-back games where he was facing an average of 15 or so shots EVERY period. That's a ton of rubber. To blame it on him is rubbish. Where the hell was the rest of the team?

He choked. No ifs, ands, or buts. 6 goals in 2 periods and then he was pulled. 3 of those goals happened within the space of a couple of minutes. That was the final and biggest game of his junior career. There is no excuse.

He choked. No ifs, ands, or buts. 6 goals in 2 periods and then he was pulled. 3 of those goals happened within the space of a couple of minutes. That was the final and biggest game of his junior career. There is no excuse.

I didn't see the game. Did you? I wonder how you know it was Price who choked?

Had to be an extreme case for Nachbauer to pull Price in what was probably his final game as a Tri City American. I'm sure that unless he felt that Price just didn't have it that night, and Chet Pickard gave the team a better chance to come back in the third period, he wouldn't have done it. Kind of sad to see that happen, but at least it will bring some of the fans back to earth about Price.

Had to be an extreme case for Nachbauer to pull Price in what was probably his final game as a Tri City American. I'm sure that unless he felt that Price just didn't have it that night, and Chet Pickard gave the team a better chance to come back in the third period, he wouldn't have done it. Kind of sad to see that happen, but at least it will bring some of the fans back to earth about Price.

Or perhaps it was his attempt to save a great goalie from being embarrassed by the team in front of him? There's always two sides to every coin. And just remember, as one wise HW member once said, statistics are like bikinis, they show a lot, but not everything. ;)

Yes, we have all come crashing to earth because Price had a bad game.

It erases the fact that he was the MVP of a tournament that had the best players in the world 3 months ago.

And the great game he had last game.

I guess Patrick Roy never had a bad game in the playoffs. Uhhh 92 anybody.

And what happened the next season again? Oh yeah, Stanley Cup Championship.

And anybody remember the 6-0 drubbing in game 7 vs the Wings in 2002.

WHAT A CHOKER THAT ROY WAS. Not clutch at all.

One game means nothing. The fact that you never watched the game just adds to the fact that you are making judgements based on absolutely nothing.

Yep, my expectations are back down to earth.

Edited by Wamsley01