-----------------------------------------------------

9 TORONTO 77 37 29 11 85

10 NY ISLANDERS 76 36 28 12 84

11 CAROLINA 77 38 31 8 84

12 FLORIDA 77 33 30 14 80

13 BOSTON 77 35 36 6 76

14 WASHINGTON 77 26 38 13 65

15 PHILADELPHIA 76 21 44 11 53

These are the standing as of today. Habs have the potential to either miss the playoff completely or go as high as 6th place. Personally, I would love it if the Habs played the penguins in the first round because their lack of playoff experience would make them vulnerable. Buffalo would be a good second choice because the Habs have played them well this year (although I think they wuld step it up in the postseason.

What do you think?

1) Atlanta

2) Pittsburgh

3) Buffalo

4) New Jersey

Those are the teams, in that order, which I believe Montreal would have the best shot against in the first round.

Atlanta....really? I though that they have owned us this season?

Aside from our last game against them, I believe we beat them every time. We did have trouble against them last season though.

Yepp, scores of 3-1, 4-2, 4-1 and 2-6.

Atlanta....really? I though that they have owned us this season?

There's no team we are better against than Atlanta. They are the ideal opponents. Actually I'm happy and confident with any of Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Atlanta. New Jersey would be scary. We always tend to do well against the quick, offensive teams because they force us to open up and come out of our defensive shell - and that's the way our team was meant to play.

New Jersy and Ottawa would be the worst two for us, it would be almost a guaranteed loss. I think Buffalo will be upset first round and we can also beat Atlanta. Pittsburgh can go either way so my choices would be....

- Atlanta

- Buffalo

- Pittsburgh

- Ottawa

- New Jersy

I don't like this thread one bit. Once we clinch a spot - OK, but 'til then, it's just.... wrong.

Therefore, I'm boycotting it. (that'll teach 'em)

Agreed. For shame that you would post......I'll take ATL or PIT though

Add one more to the list to want to avoid New Jersey at all costs. They score first and the game is a snooze fest. The way Pittsburgh has been playing lately, I'm wary of playing them as well. They've gotten stronger and more confident as the season has progressed. In the next five or six years, it's going to be a Fab Four in Pittsburgh with Crosby, Malkin, Fleury and Staal instead of the Dynamic Duo of Jagr and Lemieux, which is very scary.

I'd prefer Atlanta first, then Buffalo. I don't think Ottawa will move above 4th, and Montreal won't get 5th, so any match-up with them would be in the second round.

If they pull another stinker like yesterday, they will likely play each other on Link courses in a few days.

Anyone but New Jersey or the Canes, both teams have the Canadiens number. I believe in a seven game series the Habs can beat any other team in the east. I am not saying they would just that they can.

If they pull another stinker like yesterday, they will likely play each other on Link courses in a few days.

No doubt about that and I wish you a better game tonight at the Bell......and dont forget to let us know about how it went with your meeting with Briere after the game and about the likelihood of him signing for the CH if he was approached by them next summer........that's your HW's assignement.

There's no team we are better against than Atlanta. They are the ideal opponents. Actually I'm happy and confident with any of Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Atlanta. New Jersey would be scary. We always tend to do well against the quick, offensive teams because they force us to open up and come out of our defensive shell - and that's the way our team was meant to play.

What he said :) Except that I don't want Crosby anywhere near us the the postseason. I know we've contained him nicely for most of the season, but that, coupled with the special status the Habs have in his heart, merely make me more nervous.

Jersey would be the worst case scenario. Four game sweep, awful performances, and everyone in town prophesying doom, calling for Gainey's head on a platter, demanding that the 'core' be jettisoned, etc, etc. Ugh.

we have a good chance of making the playoffs in the number 8 position... I'd be happy playing buffalo specially after tonights performance. holding the young speedy wingers would be our mission; if tonights win can be bottled and if our D brings it out next time we will be fine.

Go HABS Go!

Edited by Chips

Montreal-Buffalo :

REGULAR SEASON SERIES

TIED 4-4

Oct. 6: at Sabres 5, Canadiens 4 (OT)

Oct. 23: Sabres 4 at Canadiens 1

Nov. 24: Canadiens 2 at Sabres 1 (OT)

Dec. 9: Sabres 3 at Canadiens 2 (OT)

Dec. 19: Canadiens 5 at Sabres 2

Jan. 20: at Canadiens 4, Sabres 3

Mar. 2: at Sabres 8, Canadiens 5

Mar. 31: at Canadiens 4, Sabres 3

Picking up 10 points in 8 games against one of the best if not the best team in the league is pretty good.

Also the Habs tied them in goals 27 a peice and allowed the Sabres just one power play goal all season.

I'm surprised Ruff didn't go with Miller tonite.

I'm sure he doesn't want to meet Habs in the 1st round, so he is not supposed to help us

It could be so that the Canadiens do not get that one last look at Miller to work on finding holes on him. I remember the Canadiens did the same with the Canes and Sens last year.

It could be so that the Canadiens do not get that one last look at Miller to work on finding holes on him. I remember the Canadiens did the same with the Canes and Sens last year.

Good point

What about kicking New Jersey's ass? After that, anything is possible...

Of course, if we took out NJ in the first round, we could go very far. But we're better off facing the teams we can beat and hoping someone else takes out NJ for us.