Koivu Appreciation Thread

Nilan

The Hall of Fame is for players who were among the elite in their era. Koivu has always been a key player on the Habs and their captain, but there is no way he has ever had even a single season where he would be listed among the league's elite players.

the closest was in 95 when he sprained his ankle against chicago.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Hall of Fame is for players who were among the elite in their era. Koivu has always been a key player on the Habs and their captain, but there is no way he has ever had even a single season where he would be listed among the league's elite players.

The year of his first injury when he was leadiing the leage in points he would have been Also he is a PPG player in the playoffs. Also he has finished near the top in scoring in many international events.

I would consider Havlat one of the leagues elite players.

Do Koivu's career production and achievements make him worthy of having his number retired? No way in hell.

Do the intangibles; Koivu's dedication, long term as captain and leader of the team, his comeback from cancer to play a complete season the following year, his comeback from an almost career-ending injury to put up career highs in goals and points the next season (while only missing 1 game), his Saku Koivu Foundation, his many visits to local hospitals, etc, etc... overrule his lower production? Possibly.

That's what's up for debate. He may not even be comparable to the other honoured greats in some ways, but in other ways - there is not another soul comparable to him.

If he is worthy of the NHL hall of fame, he is worthy of having his sweater retired....though he is neither as it stands now.

I'm glad to see all the positive comments about Koivu, but it makes me kind of sick to see that half of you will be calling him out after the next loss. I know most of you are true fans of his, like myself, but I'm sure some of the posters on this thread were his nay-sayers..

Actually the retirement of a habs sweater is a MUCH more selective honour than Hall of Fame membership.

Here are habs in the Hall. I've put an asterisk next to the retired sweaters.

Martin A. (Marty) Barry

Jean Arthur Beliveau*

Hector (Toe) Blake

Emile (Butch) Bouchard

Harold Hugh (Harry) Cameron

Sprague Cleghorn

Yvan Serge (Roadrunner) Cournoyer*

Gordon Arthur Drillon

Kenneth Wayne Dryden*

Dick Duff

William Ronald (Bill) Durnan

Anthony James (Tony) Esposito

Robert Michael (Bob) Gainey

Herbert Martin (Herb) Gardiner

James Henry (Jimmy) Gardner

Bernard Joseph Andre (Boom Boom) Geoffrion*

George Hainsworth

Joseph Henry (Joe) Hall

Douglas Norman Harvey*

Thomas Christian (Tom) Johnson

Aurel Emile Joliat

Elmer James Lach

Guy Damien Lafleur*

Edouard (Newsy) Lalonde

Rod Corry Langway

Joseph Jacques Hughes Laperriere

Guy Gerard Lapointe

Jean Baptiste (Jack) Laviolette

Jacques Gerard Lemaire

Francis William (Frank) Mahovlich

Maurice Joseph (Joe) Malone

Sylvio Mantha

Richard Winston (Dickie) Moore*

Howard William (Howie) Morenz*

Edward Reginald (Reg) Noble

Herbert William (Buddy) O'Connor

Murray Bert Olmstead

Didier Pitre

Joseph Jacques (Jake the Snake) Plante*

Kenneth Joseph (Kenny) Reardon

Joseph Henri (Pocket Rocket) Richard*

Joseph Henri Maurice (The Rocket) Richard*

Larry Robinson

Patrick Roy

Denis Savard

Serge Aubrey Savard*

Stephen John Shutt

Albert Charles (Babe) Siebert

Thomas J. Smith

Georges Vezina

Lorne John (Gump) Worsley

Roy (Shrimp) Worters

If Steve Shutt deserves to be in the Hall - which he does - then so does Saku Koivu.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

One.

Yeah I think he did something crazy like.

+15 each season in 4 staright seasons. It could have just been the final 3 but somethng along those lines.

Koivu's meant a lot to the team, but his stats just aren't good enough for the Hall of Fame. Sure, if some of those injuries never happened, or he puts up some consecutive 70+pt years in the future it might be different, but what-ifs just don't cut it.

Great player nonetheless though, and right up there in the history of Habs captains. He's easily had one of the weakest supporting casts of the team's history during his tenure.

One.

I figured. I looked up his career production and he broke 45 goals 3 more times. 11 times he played over 50 games in a season. He broke the 30-goal mark 9 of those times, once playing only 57 games. It doesn't really compare with Koivu's newfound career-high of 22 in 79 games, so far. His points-per-game is also a respectable amount higher than Koivu's.

As I wrote in my last post, Koivu's a great player and deserves consideration to be honoured - but that consideration has absolutely nothing to do with his goal and point production.

And that Steve Shutt is worthy of being a Hall of Famer.

In a different era, man. One where 60 goal seasons were not the freakishly good aberration that a 60 goal year would be considered now.

60 goals happened about once every 2 or 3 seasons back then, I would say. The mark has only been past about 30 times in all of history, I believe. 70 was eclipsed 14 times. Just last season Cheechoo put up 56 goals and that was playing half the year without Joe Thornton, who put up 136 points. Jagr put up 135. Things are not so different between then and now, except that some teams were ridiculously stacked so certain players had inflated stats. But Shutt was a consistant 30-40 goal scorer throughout his entire career and there's no sense ignoring his 60-goal season just because of the era he played in. How many other Habs in that era scored 60 goals? I don't think any other habs ever has!

Another thing about Shutt is that he has 98 playoff points in 99 games. Those aren't ordinary numbers.

Shutt's stats are better than Koivu's, although he really only had that one ferocious year. But think about it - which player would you rather have on your team? Shutt was a fine player and worthy Hall of Famer but Koivu is, all around, a more valuable player.

Shutt's stats are better than Koivu's, although he really only had that one ferocious year. But think about it - which player would you rather have on your team? Shutt was a fine player and worthy Hall of Famer but Koivu is, all around, a more valuable player.

regardless... i'm glad that shutt played with lafleur & co... he was a fine fit.

GO :hlogo: GO!

al ot of apples and oranges here.....

true enough...

but i'm glad to have been able to taste both the apple and the orange... both are healthy for my team and pleasing to my canadiens 'diet'

GO :hlogo: GO!

As one of those who complained when Koivu was playing poorly earlier this season, it wouldn't be right if I didn't acknowledge that he has been exceptional lately - when we need him most.

I love the little guy to bits, and am impressed at how he has raised his game. And, to achieve career highs in goals and (probably) points after a major injury is spectacular.

My hat is off to the captain.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm glad he has woken up of late. We sure can use his energy, creativity, scoring and play making on SAT against Toronto!

GO KOIVU GO!

I'm glad he has woken up of late. We sure can use his energy, creativity, scoring and play making on SAT against Toronto!

GO KOIVU GO!

Koivu has scored 5 goals on the Leafs this season. Prior to that he only scored 4 in 35 games lets hope he continues this years trend.

I had to come back to this thread and revive the discussion a bit. Now that the Habs are out of the playoffs, everyone's pointing fingers, but there are a few members of this hockey club that do not deserve this crap. One of them is Bob Gainey, another is Saku Koivu:

STOP WITH THE KOIVU BULLCRAP

I'm sick of hearing some ignorant Habs fans out there burning this guy at the stake for "not being a leader", "not having the offensive production we expect", being "useless to the team", etc.

The guy's one of the best leaders in the NHL, and don't take my word for it. Ask anyone who's played with him. His offensive production? He just had the best season of his career (despite a serious eye injury last spring. Oh yeah, remember that?) For crying out loud. How can you ask more from this guy? Sure he's not perfect (his usual penalty is the hook; seems to be his achilles heel.. he also has some dry spells, but who doesn't?) but he gives it his best every night, and even though he doesn't score a great deal, he sets up the plays (and for that reason often goes unnoticed and underappreciated). Koivu is, and always has been, above all else, a playmaker. And he's a damn good one at that (not to mention a shoot-out superhero).

It just boggles the mind how some fans out there can possibly hate on this guy. Whether or not you think he's worth 4.75$million is a question of opinion, (i personally think he is, and then some) but to hate on him for what he brought to the table this year... is nothing short of asinine.

If you want to rip on someone, rip on Kovalev, Samsonov, Aebischer, etc.

Leave Koivu out of this.

I had to come back to this thread and revive the discussion a bit. Now that the Habs are out of the playoffs, everyone's pointing fingers, but there are a few members of this hockey club that do not deserve this crap. One of them is Bob Gainey, another is Saku Koivu:

I'm sick of hearing some ignorant Habs fans out there burning this guy at the stake for "not being a leader", "not having the offensive production we expect", being "useless to the team", etc.

The guy's one of the best leaders in the NHL, and don't take my word for it. Ask anyone who's played with him. His offensive production? He just had the best season of his career (despite a serious eye injury last spring. Oh yeah, remember that?) For crying out loud. How can you ask more from this guy? Sure he's not perfect (his usual penalty is the hook; seems to be his achilles heel.. he also has some dry spells, but who doesn't?) but he gives it his best every night, and even though he doesn't score a great deal, he sets up the plays (and for that reason often goes unnoticed and underappreciated). Koivu is, and always has been, above all else, a playmaker. And he's a damn good one at that (not to mention a shoot-out superhero).

It just boggles the mind how some fans out there can possibly hate on this guy. Whether or not you think he's worth 4.75$million is a question of opinion, (i personally think he is, and then some) but to hate on him for what he brought to the table this year... is nothing short of asinine.

Leave Koivu out of this.

:clap::clap::clap:

Leave Koivu out of this.

Holysmokes, nobody else could have said that better than you bro :clap:

Leave Koivu out of this.

hear hear

The people who constantly bitch about koivu would probably still find reasons for moaning even if we had sakic, heatly and kovalchuk as our first line. He is a top 20 centre in the league, plays with grit, makes others look good, and we've seen how quickly the wheels fall off without him. Saku is at the core of the team, and at 4.5 mil he is infact a bit of a bargain compared to a lot of 6-7 mill players of similar calibre who bring the same qualities to the table, or big name 3.5-5 mill players who are disappointments.

Leave Koivu out of this.

Couldnt agree more.