Rivet on the Habs "Passive" Defensive Style

JLP

Rivet just needs to shut his pie hole and worry about his new team. i don't care where he signs as long as it's NOT with the Habs.

He should spend his energy trying to do his job.

The first goal was completely Carle's fault. And I don't know what Cheechoo was doing on the 2nd goal at all.

The Sharks lost because their coach is stubborn. Every game Detroit got better as the game went on. San Jose didn't make one adjustment that series. If one coach in this year's playoffs deserves to get the axe, it's Wilson.

Blasphemy, lol.

Rivet was playing big minutes because he's a leader on the team and the oldest player on the team. He's one of the few defensemen with legit playoff experience on the team, so he's going to get the call when the game matters most.

Heres a good idea lets sign him and then immediately trade him for another 1st round pick. :clap::clap::D

That would be an excellent idea. Too bad his value would not be as high until around March again.

That would be an excellent idea. Too bad his value would not be as high until around March again.

He could keep Sammy company in the AHL, or pressbox or where BG decides to send them.

Heres a good idea lets sign him and then immediately trade him for another 1st round pick. :clap::clap::D

:lol: ha :lol: ha :lol: ha I laughed so hard that I lost my breath and started choking. Thank you for the awesome witty remark! :clap:

Personally I dont like Rivet taking verbal shots at the Habs now that he is gone, but I do agree with him in a way.

The Habs D simply concede way to much space. I watched way to many games this year, and the majority of times when the opposition gets the puck over their own blue line, they can easily take the puck all the way down to the Habs blue line completely unapposed because all the Habs seem to do is back right off and conceded the entire neutral zone. Thats ridiculous and seriously needs to stop.

No clue why people here are blaming this entirely on the D, claiming the Habs D couldnt move up and check. It's not the fault of the D if 1 goes up and it becomes a 2 on 1 situation. Dont forget that there is also 3 Forwards on the ice eh. Some of the F's need to come back and do something defensively too, like back check, or do something other than floating.

When 2 opposition players cross their own blue line, all the Habs concede the neutral zone to their own blue line, even when its a 2 of them against 3 Habs, the Habs still concede the neutral zone. When there are more Habs back or comming back, 1 of the D that is already back needs to step up and check the opposition. If the opposition manages to deke the Habs D, then it only becomes a 2 on 2, as long as 1 of the F's does something defensively to help out.

Well, here's one thing he can be sure of; we are happy that you are not around deflecting Carolina shots past Huet. TWO playoff game winners last year :angry:

Not only do I agree with you, I blame Rivet for costing SJ the series with Det this year. Rivet's penalty for shooting the puck over the boards in the last minutes of Game 4 definitely cost SJ that series. SJ was up 2-1, and on Rivets pen Lang tied the game, and Wings won it in OT. SJ should have gone up 3-1 in the series, but because of Rivet, SJ lost that game, and didnt win another game in that series.

Surprise, surprise.

Rivet was an excellent sharacter guy for us, and there is no doubt that if the league hadn't tried to alter itself - with the emphasis on faster, smaller players and more offense - Rivet would still be a reliable servant, clutching and grabbing his way to a pension.

The league has in a large way passed him by. I honestly don't think he is such a bad skater, it is more that he can't read a play for the life of him. Like Souray w/o the shot. Ok, better skater than Souray.

But the d is shambolic with us, do we even have a system?

First off, the NHL has not passed Rivet by. He's not meant to be a 25 minute d-man, he wasn't before the lockout either. He's a #4 guy. The defensive element of a 2nd pairing, plays good PK minutes and can even be the shooter on a PP. He's not meant to line up against opposition's top lines.

Secondly, that deflection OT winner last year could've been any d-man. He didn't lose us the series, we had already lost it. And BTW, it wasn't Rivet that year that took the delay of game penalty that helped Carolina turn the series around, it was Markov.

Thirdly, those delay of game penalties happen a lot. It's a bad rule, as the play is no different than an icing, but whatever. Last night in OT, Mikael Samuelsson did it in a horrendous gaffe... the puck wasn't even rolling and he had no pressure on him. In OT, these things happen. Guess what? Anaheim didn't win the game on that PP. SJ could've killed off Rivet's penalty and no one would talk about it.

San Jose got thoroughly out played in that series. They grabbed early leads and then tried to coast the rest of the way. It was a horrible game plan. And their PP was AWFUL and ridiculously predictable. Joe Thornton had about 95% of his cross-ice passes intercepted or deflected, because that was the only play they really tried.

I liked the Rivet trade and still do. We needed a defensive makeover. But to say he is a bad d-man is ridiculous.

If the league hasn't passed him by yet, it is passing.

He can skate but can't read plays well. I'm thinking about him with us. Couldn't give a fiddler's about the Sharks.

At most he should play limited minutes against slower lines, or a third line.

FFS, why am I still posting about a guy who plays in California??? Sorry

Edited by tokyohabs