Kovalev not interested in returning to Montreal,

bobby

Well said Habs rule, also Kovalev wasn't even close to a point per game player this year. The reason players like Koivu and Kovalev didn't get more ice time was simply they can't keep the puck out of the net. What minus 50 for that pair and they warrent more ice time.

3 goals for next years team

1. Shut up and play hard.

2. Play physical and play hard.

3, show up fo more then 20 minutes a night.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As has been stated by many on this forum the veteran core is a problem for Montreal They are not leading and mostly they had bad seasons. So it's the coach's fault? Maybe this little prima donna and that other pkrhd sammy should have listened to Carbo and followed what he said instead of pouting and insisting on playing their own game without regard to what is best for the TEAM.

Yeah maybe they should, but man, the hockey i want to see is the one practiced by Kovalev... Give him a guy who plays like him and they will rock the 1rst line for sure ! If others team have to fear our top line, then Carbo will have all the pleasure to make a plan of his own.

Guys Kovalev was not given a chance to put up big numbers this year no Canadiens forwards were.

The highest Canadiens forward in avg. ice time per game was Kovalev and he was ranked around 75th overall and 90th even strength (Grabovski was higher but only played 3 games). This is not house league hockey better players need more ice time. Do you think Lecavalier would have scored 50 goals if he played 3 less minutes per game? He simply would not. What I really hope is that the Habs do not have a "checking line next year" because having Bonk and Johnson play 30 seconds less than Kovalev on even strength is just ridiculous. Top players need to play top minutes to produce.

I am not saying that Kovalev had a bad season but Brobin is correct it is Carbonneau's job to find the right situation for the team to win and the best players to be playing well.

There is no necessary corrolation between ice time & point production.

Brad Richards, the forward with the second highest ice time per game (24:06) had 70 points (with a -19, by the way).

In comparison, Marian Hossa, (21:40)/game had 100 points. Alexander Ovechkin, on what is considered a lesser year, in 21:23/game had 97 points.

Others:

Dany Heatly 21:03/game = 105 points.

Sidney Crosby 20:45 = 120 points.

Kovalev, had he played a full 82 games of 18:14/game would have had (proportionally), 53 points,

Peter Sykora, at 16:48/game got 53 points too - and that's 1 full minute & a half less per game and in 80 games. There's no way that Sykora is a better player than Kovalev.

Part of Kovalev's problem may have been the players he was with but, let's also accept that Ovechkin's linemates (and teammates) were not super support players either.

I firmly believe that, taking all factors into account, Alex Kovalev's biggest problem this year was Alex Kovalev.

As before, do I believe that he should be kept or let go/traded/etc..., I don't know... As before, I'm glad I'm not Bob Gainey or wearing his shoes.

GO :hlogo: GO!

Edited by shortcat1

The only difference between Jagr and Kovalev is Jagr's desire to take the puck to the middle of the ice and make plays happen. Kovalev would rather stick to the outside and shoot from there. The only time he uses that 6'1" 225lb frame is when he's pissed because someone touched him ... then he usually takes a penalty. Jagr uses his frame ( about the same size ) to shield off other players .. knock them off the puck .. drive the net ... etc.

I believe Kovalev could be just as good as Jagr but he has no desire to be. he's ok with just being who he is now .. a perimiter player who's scared to get hurt.

Those of you who think Kovalev should just 'shut up and play' Guy's way instead of complaining are ridiculous. You don't ask a surgeon to shovel gravel and expect him to be happy, nor do you take the general laborer and put in in the operating room and expect him to excel. You have to let players play the game they excel at, or it simply doesn't work...trying to 'convert' players at a late stage in their career seldom works. ESPECIALLY when you are trying to get them to play a style that doesn't suit their skillset, in addition to giving them linemates that don't suit their game. Guy failed as a coach this year, and to an extend, Bob Gainey failed to get the players we needed. I put most of the blame on Guy, because Gainey tried his darndest to get the center we needed so desperately...and none of them wanted to play in Montreal. After this fiasco of a season, and seeing how Guy operates, it's going to be even harder to get a free agent to sign here in the future. The only hope for the Habs is to get someone in a trade, where they have no choice.

And how many coaches and linemates has kovalev had this problem with. Too many to count. He just fails to produce under any circumstances the last 5 years. Do you blame Carbo for that to?

And how many coaches and linemates has kovalev had this problem with. Too many to count. He just fails to produce under any circumstances the last 5 years. Do you blame Carbo for that to?

I had no problems with the point-a-game clip he produced at the season before last. A point a game is no easy task, especially when you have a second-rate center to work with (Ribs).

Yes, how many times has he actually done it? Not enough to justify his salary that's for sure. I have no problem with his talent, just he is lazy, overpaid and a whinner.

Even if Kovalev did say these things, I see no problem in them. He didn't say he wants out. Just that he wouldn't be able to take another season like this one. Koivu said the same thing!

Kovalov and Samsonov are adults who are being played millions to play hockey. They have been coached all there lives, so I don't buy the whole arguement that they had bad seasons as a result of mishandling by the coach. I think Carbo would be the first to admit he learned some important lessons this year, and I'm sure he'll improve this year. But players need to understand..Carbo is the coach of this team, like it or not. If kovalov doesn't like it, he should go home.

Kovalov and Samsonov are adults who are being played millions to play hockey. They have been coached all there lives, so I don't buy the whole arguement that they had bad seasons as a result of mishandling by the coach. I think Carbo would be the first to admit he learned some important lessons this year, and I'm sure he'll improve this year. But players need to understand..Carbo is the coach of this team, like it or not. If kovalov doesn't like it, he should go home.

Judging by the rest of his interview, he doesn't have that anti-coach attitude. Look at how he responds to not being chosen to play for Team Russia. If you're agreeing that the interview is legit, you've gotta acknowledge all of it, and not just one sentence. As far as I can see, Kovalev hasn't said anything offensive or newsworthy. Hey, atleast some players are standing up, saying they don't like Carbo's system. Someone's gotta break it to him, and the fans and media aren't people he'll listen to or take seriously.

Other than a season or two with Jagr, Kovalev has never been a big points guy. he's just not. even if he was a point a game man, people would still be saying he can do more. can he? probably. will he? no. let's focus less on the skill, and more on the results.

higgins throwing him under the bus at the end of the season was very telling.

Its not Carbos job to listen to fans, media, or you or I. Its his job to build this team into a winner. Despite the poor results this season, He sees a lot of promise in this team, so he will continue to develop it the way he sees fit. I'm just pointing out that if he and Kovalov don't see eye to eye, then Kovalov has to adapt, or move on. Its totally obvious to me that the two of them don't see eye to eye, and I just don't see Carbo changing the direction of the team to suit Kovalov. Also, just because no one is speaking up, it doesn't mean everyone doesn't like Carbos system, in fact, it may be just the opposite. In fact, the only two players who have spoke up are Kovalov and Sampsonov, 2 guys who just had terrible years in Montreal, and it seems to me that those two are looking to lay the blame somewhere. The Canadiens are a team, and team players do the talking in the dressing room or face to face with the coaching staff. If Kovalov wants off this team, then Gainey will try to accomidate him. Don't look for him to force Carbo to bend over for anyone.

Judging by the rest of his interview, he doesn't have that anti-coach attitude. Look at how he responds to not being chosen to play for Team Russia. If you're agreeing that the interview is legit, you've gotta acknowledge all of it, and not just one sentence. As far as I can see, Kovalev hasn't said anything offensive or newsworthy. Hey, atleast some players are standing up, saying they don't like Carbo's system. Someone's gotta break it to him, and the fans and media aren't people he'll listen to or take seriously.

There is no necessary corrolation between ice time & point production.

Brad Richards, the forward with the second highest ice time per game (24:06) had 70 points (with a -19, by the way).

In comparison, Marian Hossa, (21:40)/game had 100 points. Alexander Ovechkin, on what is considered a lesser year, in 21:23/game had 97 points.

Others:

Dany Heatly 21:03/game = 105 points.

Sidney Crosby 20:45 = 120 points.

Kovalev, had he played a full 82 games of 18:14/game would have had (proportionally), 53 points,

Peter Sykora, at 16:48/game got 53 points too - and that's 1 full minute & a half less per game and in 80 games. There's no way that Sykora is a better player than Kovalev.

Part of Kovalev's problem may have been the players he was with but, let's also accept that Ovechkin's linemates (and teammates) were not super support players either.

I firmly believe that, taking all factors into account, Alex Kovalev's biggest problem this year was Alex Kovalev.

As before, do I believe that he should be kept or let go/traded/etc..., I don't know... As before, I'm glad I'm not Bob Gainey or wearing his shoes.

GO :hlogo: GO!

All of those player are playing 20+ minutes a game that is what Kovalev needs none of your comparisions are players play 18 minutes. Those 2 minute mean a lot and help offensive players get more involved.

All of those player are playing 20+ minutes a game that is what Kovalev needs none of your comparisions are players play 18 minutes. Those 2 minute mean a lot and help offensive players get more involved.

If those two minutes mean so much then how come Petr Sykora can score exactly as much with nearly two minutes less per game than Kovalev? :lol: It appears you didn't entirely read shortcat's post.

To the frightfully naive souls who think that Kovalev's interview was fabricated, take a look at which journalist reported it - his official biographer.

In my mind, Kovalev is truly one of the lower class talents to have disgraced the CH in the past few seasons, much like Mariusz Czerkawski and unfortunately Sergei Samsonov.

Time for him to go, but Gainey's going to learn the hard way that giving a cranky old enigma a fat contract means there's going to be egg on your face when it alll blows up...makes for an interesting offseason methinks.

Those of you who think Kovalev should just 'shut up and play' Guy's way instead of complaining are ridiculous. You don't ask a surgeon to shovel gravel and expect him to be happy, nor do you take the general laborer and put in in the operating room and expect him to excel. You have to let players play the game they excel at, or it simply doesn't work...trying to 'convert' players at a late stage in their career seldom works. ESPECIALLY when you are trying to get them to play a style that doesn't suit their skillset, in addition to giving them linemates that don't suit their game. Guy failed as a coach this year, and to an extend, Bob Gainey failed to get the players we needed. I put most of the blame on Guy, because Gainey tried his darndest to get the center we needed so desperately...and none of them wanted to play in Montreal. After this fiasco of a season, and seeing how Guy operates, it's going to be even harder to get a free agent to sign here in the future. The only hope for the Habs is to get someone in a trade, where they have no choice.

Your anology is ridiculous Kovalev is a hockey player and hockey really has not changed we have offence and defence. Kovalev chooses to piss around most of the game and make 1 or 2 good shifts. If he had gretzky or messiers work ethic he would be in their league that is the talent he has. Gretz and mess could play defence but this asshole can't? so it is the coachs faut? every year he has been here? I think not

Yeah but that is what Kovalev always was he did not become this way in Montreal so Bob got him for a reason and if he keeps him he believes he can help this team.

Bob like every other gm who has had him saw unlimited talent (which he has) and thought that he could make him play the game he should and maybe he could but my comments are directed at what Kovalev said and the people who want to fire carbo because Kovalev is what he is a slacker complainer as he always has been.

Bob like every other gm who has had him saw unlimited talent (which he has) and thought that he could make him play the game he should and maybe he could but my comments are directed at what Kovalev said and the people who want to fire carbo because Kovalev is what he is a slacker complainer as he always has been.

Well than you must believe Bob is very very nieve.

I think Kovalev will stay in Montreal next season.

I explain myself. Gainey has to fix priorities and Kovalev and Samsonov are not hot issues since they are still under contract at this moment.

There are many big issues on Bob Gainey desk right now and the man is not the kind of man to leave the job undone even if his heart is not there anymore.

His priorities before the draft are first to sign Markov.

He has to sign pro contract with the top prospect that have ended their junior days. Price (job done) Little ####)), Carle (born 1987).

Sign the two Russian prospects Valentenko and Emelin and bring them tpo America.

He has to decide to sign Souray or not.

He has to work with Mister Timmins with the draft this year wich is one of the most intriguing since a long time.

That is already a heavy work load.

My guess is that Bob will retire after the draft and give the GM duties to Carbo and Carbo will probably hire a professionnal coach with experience. Someone like Bob Hartley, who has work with established players like Kovalev and Samsonov before and got the most of them.

It would be the next GM to take care of the player already under contract.

This is just my gut feeling, but it does not seem that foolish.

This is just

I think Kovalev will stay in Montreal next season.

I explain myself. Gainey has to fix priorities and Kovalev and Samsonov are not hot issues since they are still under contract at this moment.

There are many big issues on Bob Gainey desk right now and the man is not the kind of man to leave the job undone even if his heart is not there anymore.

His priorities before the draft are first to sign Markov.

He has to sign pro contract with the top prospect that have ended their junior days. Price (job done) Little ####)), Carle (born 1987).

Sign the two Russian prospects Valentenko and Emelin and bring them tpo America.

He has to decide to sign Souray or not.

He has to work with Mister Timmins with the draft this year wich is one of the most intriguing since a long time.

That is already a heavy work load.

My guess is that Bob will retire after the draft and give the GM duties to Carbo and Carbo will probably hire a professionnal coach with experience. Someone like Bob Hartley, who has work with established players like Kovalev and Samsonov before and got the most of them.

It would be the next GM to take care of the player already under contract.

This is just my gut feeling, but it does not seem that foolish.

This is just

I liked and even agreed with most of your post until the "Bob stepping down" part. That would be devestating for the Canadiens not only in the dressing room but around the league as he is one of the most respected GM's.

I can't see this happening for 2 reasons (many but I'll just do 2 of them)

1. this would send a message to every player that Montreal is not a place to sign and play hockey for. With Sammy, and Kovalev chirping all season long and then someone like Bob stepping down. No player would sign here for years. Bob would not do that to the franchise even if he did want to leave. He would wait until everthing settled so it was unrelated to all the other crap.

2. He WILL NOT name Carbo as his replacement. he is no more experienced at the GM position then he is at coaching except as a coach he can't destroy the talent/prospect base by getting burned on trades during his learning curve. we have already seen those days and Houle was the direct cause of us persuing Gainey to right the ship. Gillett does not (by his own words) "have much to do with the team as far as players and development", but he knows enough to hire the ones who can.

When I talked to Gillett, I congratulated him on the turn around the team was showing (with prospect depth and talent signing here) he was quick to deny it all saying " It has nothing to do with me." "this is all because of these guys" pointing at Gainey, Timmins and Andre Savard standing behind him. "There is no question in my mind, they are the best at what they do"

Does that sound like a desciption that would fit Carbo as a GM?

Edited by Habitforming

I'm sure Kovy will be champing at the bit to bring no. 25 to us after the glowing support he got from Pat Hickey in his article.

Pat Hickey has a masters degree in Russian, I hear.

So ironic that he says Kovy has painted Gainey into a corner. You finished laying down that extra coat, Pat?

It has nothing to do with me." "this is all because of these guys" pionting at Gainey, Timmins and Andre Savard standing behind him. "There is no question in my mind, they are the best at what they do"

Does that sound like a desciption that would fit Carbo as a GM?

Well Carbo was the head of NHLPA in his playing days, in Dallas he was the assistant of the GM, knows the organization and the players very well and he could be a great GM someday in my opinion.

Carbo is no Houle. He has lots of hockey backgrounds.

André Savard is not on the habs payroll anymore and Trevor Timmins is building our future and his at the same time.