HABS vs. ISLANDERS **Game Thread** 31 March 2004

spent

Originally posted by Prime Minister Koivu

There needs to be a serious talk in the dressing room. Koivu needs to step up here.

The game against the Flyers will be the test. If we play like shit then we are first round broom boys.

:wall:

I disagree. These final regular season games are meaningless to the habs, 2 years ago before the playoffs we lost our final 2 games, yet we went onto upset the #1 seed.

Even if we lose-out the rest of the season I still like our chances in the playoffs, especially since the stomach flu will probably be long gone by then...

Ohh and... I think we're going to be pounded even worse tomorrow by the Flyers then we are being tonight by the Isles. The Flyers are waiting for us in Montreal... They are fighting for the Atlantic with NJ, and they are getting Desjardins and Primeau back in the lineup... Habs are dead... but hey, I could be wrong...

Originally posted by puck7x
Originally posted by Prime Minister Koivu

There needs to be a serious talk in the dressing room. Koivu needs to step up here.

The game against the Flyers will be the test. If we play like shit then we are first round broom boys.

:wall:

I disagree. These final regular season games are meaningless to the habs, 2 years ago before the playoffs we lost our final 2 games, yet we went onto upset the #1 seed.

Even if we lose-out the rest of the season I still like our chances in the playoffs, especially since the stomach flu will probably be long gone by then...

Ohh and... I think we're going to be pounded even worse tomorrow by the Flyers then we are being tonight by the Isles. The Flyers are waiting for us in Montreal... They are fighting for the Atlantic with NJ, and they are getting Desjardins and Primeau back in the lineup... Habs are dead... but hey, I could be wrong...

I hope your right Puck. I'm more than a little scared. We haven't looked that good since the western road trip.......

I agree with this. These games don't mean a thing for the Habs, we have all but locked up where we will finish (8th wouldn't be that bad if it came to that). The first game for the playoffs is what matters right now. Yeah some momentum would be a nice thing, but our season is definetely not on the line tomorrow night against Philly, nor will the outcome really matter in the grand scheme of things.

It's not the fact that we may loose all the remaining games, it is the fact that we look terrible.

Lazy, stupid plays, poor decisions in both zones, some of the worst defensive hockey I have seen.

We look lifeless......

We will surely finish in 7th. The games mean nothing as far as the playoffs go. But they mean something when we play this bad. IMO

Theres a huge difference of having a 2 game losing streak going into the playoffs and a 7 game losing streak very very very big difference. Throw in the fact that we just got Koivu back for the playoffs really. These games are important gotta go into the playoffs on a high.

On a side note i'd really like to see Langdon dressed next two games. Teams are taking free runs at Koivu and the rest of the players giving them no room to move. Langdon needs to be dressed to put a little fear in the opposing team. Look at all the free runs boston took at us last game and now just recently a few players were beating up on Koivu and it only took Rivet 40 minutes to realize it.

Originally posted by Habinator33

Theres a huge difference of having a 2 game losing streak going into the playoffs and a 7 game losing streak very very very big difference.  Throw in the fact that we just got Koivu back for the playoffs really.  These games are important gotta go into the playoffs on a high.

On a side note i'd really like to see Langdon dressed next two games.  Teams are taking free runs at Koivu and the rest of the players giving them no room to move.  Langdon needs to be dressed to put a little fear in the opposing team.  Look at all the free runs boston took at us last game and now just recently a few players were beating up on Koivu and it only took Rivet 40 minutes to realize it.

I'm glad to see you're blaming Rivet for playing defence. Koivu was rubbed up against the boards in the offensive zone as the puck was being carried into the defensive zone. What do you want Rivet to do? Forecheck right beside Koivu? I guess you might've hit your head when you fell off the bandwagon.

I can't watch anymore.  Kovalev = downfall of this team.  He has rubbed off on the entire team and they are all from top to bottom playing lazy.  Theres not a single player on this team that looks good.  And Julien has to continue doing his job it's his job to get this team motivated and get that chemistry back.  We have the worst powerplay in the league i'd just like to add.  This team will get swept in the first round unless someone steps up and and gets this team going.  Usually thats the coaches job and the captains job and the star players job and the goaltenders job.  But I haven't seen any of them for the past week plus.

It's the end of the world isn't it. Kovalev is horrible, horrible, horrible! :eyes:

Game over, habs lose 5-1...

Got a bit feisty at the end, Steve Webb levelled Juneau with a big hit... Then Juneau tried to hit Rivet, Juneau gave Webb a high-stick to face and shoved into boards... And Rivet tried to fight Webb, but Webb burried his head in the linesmans arms...

After that though, nothing happened...

Oh yeah, when the habs play games like these you cannot place the blame on just one guy, or a few guys... It was a team effort, we were all horrible. Just wasnt our night... It was a meaningless game for us, and half the D has the flu... Is that an excuse for the way we played? No not really, but it had an effect.

Am i routing against montreal? NO. So how am i jumping off the bandwagon? Considering i've been a fan of the habs practically since i was born and have always cheered for them. I'm just stating the obvious. I don't care that Kovalev isn't playing good putting up points but he's not even trying thats what pisses me off. When you see a 6 million dollar player that the habs go out and trade for and he doesn't even try. Then to top it off i get to go one channel down and watch Balej who i was a huge fan of ask anyone get double shifted and playing amazing. Not to mention he now has 4 points on the season while Kovalev has really 1 since 2 of his were empty net.

I'm always going to cheer for the habs but it is pissing me off watching this team play with 0% heart, 0%intensity, and 100% Laziness and arrogance.

By the way i said before deadline the habs needed another defensemen but no everyone said it's fine. Yea it's really nice watching Dykhuis back out there and Rivet the defensemen who can never make up his mind out there. Not to mention half the defense is sick and Souray is probably playing hurt.

I don't care that Kovalev isn't playing good putting up points but he's not even trying thats what pisses me off.  

Nothing pisses players off more than a "fan" claiming that he didn't try.

I've never been in the habs locker room, so I can only assume this. It seems that there's nobody in the locker room that really fires this team up. Everyone knows Koivu leads by example, and he does a great job. But we need an alternate captain or veteran who's not afraid to yell in the locker room and fire the players up.

guys, why the hell are there people out there picking up for Kovalev????

The guy has done nothing in 10 games...

I dont know about you but I think a Star player is suppose to perform and put up numbers.....

He's doing absolutely nothin, no effort what so ever.

I know he's not the only one to blame on a night like tonight, but even when the team plays good he still doesnt show up.....

im not saying he's a bad palyer, and hopefully he steps up in the playoffs...But right now i think everyone has the right to bash him..

Anyway tonights game totally sucked.....To bad Begin wasnt playing, i'd love to see him matched up against Steve Webb...

:ghg:

Originally posted by Toren

I've never been in the habs locker room, so I can only assume this. It seems that there's nobody in the locker room that really fires this team up. Everyone knows Koivu leads by example, and he does a great job. But we need an alternate captain or veteran who's not afraid to yell in the locker room and fire the players up.

Where the hell is Doug Gilmour when we need him most. :wall:

Originally posted by puck7x

Got a bit feisty at the end, Steve Webb levelled Juneau with a big hit... Then Juneau tried to hit Rivet, Juneau gave Webb a high-stick to face and shoved into boards... And Rivet tried to fight Webb, but Webb burried his head in the linesmans arms...

Juneau tried to hit Rivet?? That damn in-fighting has gotten out of hand I say... hehe

I didn't find that Webb hit on Juneau all that hard, Juneau fell but it wasn't that big of a hit... no reason for Juneau to go after Webb, unless there's some kind of rule against hitting vets when the score is out of hand.

Rivet went to support Juneau, nothing wrong with that.

Oh yeah, when the habs play games like these you cannot place the blame on just one guy, or a few guys... It was a team effort, we were all horrible. Just wasnt our night... It was a meaningless game for us, and half the D has the flu... Is that an excuse for the way we played? No not really, but it had an effect.

Exactly, the defense was playing on one leg tonight:

Quintal & Bouillon out with the flu, Rivet playing despite the flu, Breezer recovering from the flu & dealing with his groin injury, Souray in his first game back after a second injury....

I mean what did you guys expect?... we were ripe for an ass-kicking, especially when you add the fact that the Isles are much more desperate for points and the fact we have a hard time winning in NYI even when things are going well.

We just have to hope the team can shake that flu bug before the playoffs start, right now that's my biggest worry.

This losing streak doesn't mean a thing to me, since we haven't seen our full & healthy lineup since before the losing streak started.

When the whole lineup comes back together, and some players have recovered from the flu... we'll be back to our winning ways.

I don't like it when any fan decides he has the right to bash any player on the ice!!! And to me it doesn't matter. Balej is doing better than KOvy and will for the rest of his career. The trade, as I had metioned before, was crap!! It can only look HALF decent if he signs again. Realize this people, KOvy hasn't been an ELITE player for a while and even then its questionable. ELITE usually refers to consistency in numbers. Disagree, look at the stats. You fans put Kovy on a pedestal so high and unrealistic it sickens me!!!!:puke: Kovy will do nothing for this team at all this year, next year if he signs and if there is hockey, then maybe. SERIOUSLY, DID ANYONE EVEN HEED GAINEY'S WARNINGS??? I mean really, or was he just too busy talking to the bloody wall?!!!

Besides, this was a team effort!! To blame one person is ludecrous!! The habs probably are going to get slaughtered playoff time, but what should that mean? That we shouldn't sign Kovalev?!! That we shouldn't sign half the team, ohhh... and while we are at it, lets do what we habs fans usually do and want => fire CJ, fire BG, fire the team, call up some really good university team and have Pleks and Komi be the team leaders!!! Oh ya that'll get us the cup that year for sure!!!

We are rebuilding, and we are making a splash while doing it.

Why is everyone singling people out in a season where we went beyond expectation?

And people wonder why not many players stay in Montreal or even like it there :nono:

Cheer on the team through sickness and health, and the good times and especially the bad!!

Thats one thing about Ottawa and the people in Edmonton and Calgary, they support their team through everything. Especially Calgary. I think fans all accross Canada need a lesson or two from a bunch of Calgary fans!!!

I know, b/c thats where I live and my friends are all Clagary fans.

You want to know what they say about Calgary's success:

" Its nice, the team is working hard, and they''ll probably not go very far, but there starting somewhere"

And this from a Clagary fan to a habs fan!!!

Support the team guys, there is nothing we can do about it anyway. Support can go a long way to attracting players.

Whatever happens :ghg: !!!

quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are rebuilding, and we are making a splash while doing it.

Why is everyone singling people out in a season where we went beyond expectation?

And people wonder why not many players stay in Montreal or even like it there

Cheer on the team through sickness and health, and the good times and especially the bad!!

Support the team guys, there is nothing we can do about it anyway. Support can go a long way to attracting players.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with you wholeheartedly here. But CJ does need to get these lines straightened out. And a healthy D will go a long way. Look at Tampa Bay, fewest games lost to injury, FIRST PLACE.

I think we'll make it past the first round anyway.

:ghg:

[Edited on 2004/4/1 by spent]

You are right spent! But my concern is depth. I really don't want to say this, but years ago with Al Vigneault, he brought the habs into the playoffs while setting an NHL record for man-games lost in a season, which has since been broken and set by another team. We do need some form of consistancy with the lines though!! I agree completely, but that doesn't stop me from shaking my head and saying, " NOT AGAIN."

After their amazing run, they proved to me that they could take on anyone when they put in an effort - and that was with injuries to the lineup-. And now, I am second guessing this, and I am sure many habs are too.

But like I said before: I LOVE THE HABS AND I'LL ALWAYS CHEER THEM ON!!!!

:hlogo: :ghg: